Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
A K-1 III, with even more improvements, especially AF and video 3429.06%
A new 24MP camera at a lower price point, to stop people from going to the A7III 1311.11%
A higher resolution camera, 48MP or whatever is available, with improvements to AF and video 2218.80%
The smallest full frame camera possible, even if that means less controls on the body. 24 or 36MP. 1613.68%
A retro full frame with aperture, ISO and shutter speed controls - a "SLR of old" experience camera. 1512.82%
A new full frame camera with the "SLR of old" type controls, made specifically for monochrome 65.13%
Other (specify) 119.40%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a great way to do a lens adapter for a mirrorless camera - build AF into the adapter. But with a pellicle mirror in the adapter, can the camera still be called mirrorless?

Sadly, the above is a Nikon patent filed recently. Not much use for Pentax then. Still very cool, though.

Nikon Patents 2 Full Frame Mirrorless Lenses: 52mm f/0.9 and 36mm f/1.2

08-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax would release a FF ML camera with the features of the K1 without Pentaprism, probably it will be easier to do it in the Ricoh brand.
I like the features of the K1 and they are very useful, work great and are easy to understand. Other FF MLs work different and more or less not that good.
08-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by exposeric Quote
Other FF MLs work different and more or less not that good.
Yes, thats why Nikons FF M/L announcement is imminent.
08-15-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by exposeric Quote
If Pentax would release a FF ML camera with the features of the K1 without Pentaprism, probably it will be easier to do it in the Ricoh brand.
The thing here is that without the K mount it's almost imposible for Pentax/Ricoh to get into the ML market.. they will have to prove to have better video features, better AF, better ISO performance, almost better everything than whatever is on the market at the moment so they will catch the eye of the costumers.. and, lets not forget a really good price to compete too.. AND release a good arsenal of lenses.. will they ganble to do it? mmmm to be honest I dont think so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The K-1 and K-1ii give us all we need if not all we want.
That is not totally true.. cameras are not good for everything, ofcourse, the jobs can be done... but not as good/easy as you can do it with something else.. For example im a full time professional wedding photographer, and ofcourse I can do the job with my K1, and I love the IQ.. but If i compare the K1 features that are important to me, with what other cameras in the market offers my K1 just falls behind in several key features like: AF performance, weight, lenses, and most of all buffer speed.. so no, K1 is not all that we want or what we need (as it is now).. the camera can be improved with the pass of time, but for professional work Time = Money. K1 is a nichy camera with an especific target, if you are into that target ofcourse the camera is a lovely machine, but if you are not mmmm the story might change.

Last edited by kooks; 08-15-2018 at 03:42 PM.
08-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I would like to have the following on the next FF or APS-? model :

1. Faster and more accurate AF
2. IR AF assist light, no reddish or Martian greenish light ok !
3. Back-lited buttons and dials, and red/flash to indicate error/warning
4. Top OLED matrix display, can be changed via FW update
5. Integrated vertical grip with stronger battery

6.Charging and data via USB-C
I want to add one more to the list.

7. Arca-Swiss mounting compatible bottom
08-16-2018, 12:33 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Here is a great way to do a lens adapter for a mirrorless camera - build AF into the adapter. But with a pellicle mirror in the adapter, can the camera still be called mirrorless?

Sadly, the above is a Nikon patent filed recently. Not much use for Pentax then. Still very cool, though.

It seems strange that Nikon can patent an adapter like this, since Sony has had one like this available for mirrorless cameras for at least 5 years.
08-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #142

That would be problematic, apart from direction of the plate how would you attach a battery grip?

08-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Huh ? the grip is integrated, I got a Pro Camera Plate attached to my K3 grip all the time.

Carry And Mount System
08-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I haven't read the thread, but I'd like to see the smallest possible FF camera with minimal controls & LCD on the body, but supplied with a 'battery grip' with all the missing controls - so you can decide whether you want them or not. Ideally the body would remember the settings when you remove the grip - so I can default it to single-point centre AF and leave the grip at home.
We already have people complaining about the size of the KP! There would be no point to this design if a majority of people used the 'grip' all the time.
08-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #145
Pentaxian

At least we have a choice of grip size for different people, to me a large enough grip is a must have, with it I can put a simple single strap and dangling the camera with 2 fingers while doing casual shoots in the street. Btw I don't like the top of the KP as much as the one on the K1, it is just too big and pointy completely changed the look of the camera made it old school, the whole thing just unbalance.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We already have people complaining about the size of the KP! There would be no point to this design if a majority of people used the 'grip' all the time.
08-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

Pellicle Mirror ? is it a fixed one ? I've played with the EOS RT long time ago at the shop, it got the Pellicle Mirror for 'high speed' 5fps shooting, the image from the viewfinder was dim and low contrast, it is still ok for metering, but for image capture I doubt it will do any good.

Canon EOS RT AF SLR camera with Pellicle Mirror

Actually 'half mirror' wasn't new, the first camera I know of having it for image capture was also from Canon, the Pellix.

Canon Pellix - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Canon was the first to introduce camera with Pellicle Mirror to the consumer market, the rest are simply re-introducing, I don't know the patent thing, but unless for specific purpose other than consumer use it is not a good idea at all.
08-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #147
Pentaxian

One more.

8. Option dock for added features, 4K and higher video support for example, that sounds silly right ? but Fuji got a battery grip with more power and audio jack !

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 05:04 PM ----------

+1, optical limit is hard to break so FF lens can't be too small, but electronics component getting smaller each day so it is absolutely possible to have a smaller FF body and I'm looking forward to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
I voted for the smallest possible full frame camera because if you are willing to carry it around, you are more likely to use it. I am sure Pentax could make a full frame DSLR the size of the K-r, or K-5, and still have plenty of features packed into it like the ability to post your jpeg pictures to social media and photo web sites with blue tooth built into the camera and your cell phone. We already know that Pentax can make very good compact lenses like the DFA 28-105 lens and the FA limiteds. A Full frame WR camera that size with improved AF would be just the thing that would attract more buyers to Pentax.
08-18-2018, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #148
CDW
Site Supporter

I recently bought an A7III to augment my K1. I'm perfectly happy with my K1 for the foreseeable future. But after spending time with my SONY, I'm convinced the future is mirrorless. Several of my Canon and Nikon friends have recently switched to SONY. Where I live here in Hawaii, I see more and more tourists with Olympus and SONY gear hanging around their necks. Ricoh/Pentax will be catering to a diminishing demographic if they continue with a DSLR-only product lineup. That comment will make some here angry and defensive, but it's the truth. Pentax owners barely sustain the brand at this point. In my opinion, Pentax needs a FF mirrorless system to go along with the K1II. Upgrade the K1II to the SONY 42 meg sensor, improve video, buffer, FPS, etc. Just as SONY, and Canon and Nikon, offer both models.

Pentax has among the best ergonomics, menu systems, available. It shouldn't be rocket science to develop a mirrorless body that offers superior ruggedness and weather resistance. A mirrorless design should also include a new mount design to allow adaption of third party FF mirrorless lens. It's time to move past the K-mount.
08-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That‘s exactly my point of view too.
I‘ve bought a Sony A7 as well and use it beside the K1.
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I recently bought an A7III to augment my K1. I'm perfectly happy with my K1 for the foreseeable future. But after spending time with my SONY, I'm convinced the future is mirrorless. Several of my Canon and Nikon friends have recently switched to SONY. Where I live here in Hawaii, I see more and more tourists with Olympus and SONY gear hanging around their necks. Ricoh/Pentax will be catering to a diminishing demographic if they continue with a DSLR-only product lineup. That comment will make some here angry and defensive, but it's the truth. Pentax owners barely sustain the brand at this point. In my opinion, Pentax needs a FF mirrorless system to go along with the K1II. Upgrade the K1II to the SONY 42 meg sensor, improve video, buffer, FPS, etc. Just as SONY, and Canon and Nikon, offer both models.

Pentax has among the best ergonomics, menu systems, available. It shouldn't be rocket science to develop a mirrorless body that offers superior ruggedness and weather resistance. A mirrorless design should also include a new mount design to allow adaption of third party FF mirrorless lens. It's time to move past the K-mount.
08-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #150
Veteran Member

The problem with Pentax going mirrorless is lens lineup. One of the advantages of mirrorless is the removal of the mirror to make the cameras smaller. K mount won't work properly, so a new mount would need to be made. There could be a K mount adapter, but people really want native lenses at the end of the day. How is a small company like Pentax going to pull off releasing a whole new lens line when they've struggled to have an adequate lens lineup for the K1 that already exists?