Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
A K-1 III, with even more improvements, especially AF and video 3429.06%
A new 24MP camera at a lower price point, to stop people from going to the A7III 1311.11%
A higher resolution camera, 48MP or whatever is available, with improvements to AF and video 2218.80%
The smallest full frame camera possible, even if that means less controls on the body. 24 or 36MP. 1613.68%
A retro full frame with aperture, ISO and shutter speed controls - a "SLR of old" experience camera. 1512.82%
A new full frame camera with the "SLR of old" type controls, made specifically for monochrome 65.13%
Other (specify) 119.40%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #151
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
The problem with Pentax going mirrorless is lens lineup. One of the advantages of mirrorless is the removal of the mirror to make the cameras smaller. K mount won't work properly, so a new mount would need to be made. There could be a K mount adapter, but people really want native lenses at the end of the day. How is a small company like Pentax going to pull off releasing a whole new lens line when they've struggled to have an adequate lens lineup for the K1 that already exists?
Third party lens companies are making mounts for SONY mirrorless and there are various adapters to mount Canon lens to SONY bodies. If Pentax developed a mirrorless system the likelihood of enlisting support from third party sources would probably be higher than it is now with the K mount. It is pretty much assumed many of the current K mount lineup is from Tamron. Certainly they could adapt some of their mirrorless lineup to work with a new Pentax mirrorless mount, if they were so inclined. Personally, as I noted previously, I'll keep my K1 as long as it's doing the job I need but it will be my last DSLR. I know I'm not the only one among Pentax, Canon and Nikon owners who are looking to mirrorless as the future.

08-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Pentax, Canon and Nikon owners who are looking to mirrorless as the future.
They are looking in the right direction,the decline in Dslr sales will escalate once CaNikon's M/L systems are of an "acceptable" level.

A 50:50 parity between sales wont be 2 far away.People who can only use OVF will sustain the Dslr,the rest will use M/L.Traditionalists will stick with Dslr,so theres some light at the end of that tunnel.
08-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Traditionalists will stick with Dslr,so theres some light at the end of that tunnel.
Perhaps the idea of Ricoh is to keep this traditional market once everybody else leaves to the mirrorless side and live out of it. I will eventually swtich to SONY in the near future, not because i dont like Pentax, or the image quality that K1 produces, in fact i LOVE it, my problem is that because the work that i currently do, and the way that i shoot, K1 and the lens lineup at this time is not really fiting into my work flow, I work professionally so i dont have the time to wait 1 year, 2 years 3 4 5 years for Ricoh to release a FF that fits what im looking for, or until Ricoh release the new primes, I need it as soon as I can, and sadly with Pentax the options are not there (for me). and dont even know if the gear will ever be there. But for other people the brand is perfect for them, that is the good and bad thing about a nicky brand, if you are into the target you are perfect, if you are not mmmm the problems begins.

Last edited by kooks; 08-20-2018 at 12:41 AM.
08-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
the lens lineup at this time is not really fiting into my work flow, I work professionally
Yes, its a shame RI cant provide what you need.With $$$ony you have a good choice natively and four 3rd party brands that provide AF glass.You will also be able to take advantage of the Pentax optical formula Tokinas in Canon mount with a AF adapter.We know the superb 50mm will be available soon and down the track,Who knows?

08-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Yes, its a shame RI cant provide what you need.With $$$ony you have a good choice natively and four 3rd party brands that provide AF glass.You will also be able to take advantage of the Pentax optical formula Tokinas in Canon mount with a AF adapter.We know the superb 50mm will be available soon and down the track,Who knows?
Yeah.. we'll see how the market turns.. but as today IMO there is no question that mirrorless cameras are not anymore just about the size, it is now about the technology that this machines can provide to the photographer, we are constantly seeing improvements in every aspect, AF, image quality, lenses, etc.. So yes, we can't deny that mirrorless cameras are playing a big part of this game, and Canikons are loosing many people because of this. In my own case, AF, buffer speed, portability, ISO performance and available lenses (at least the ones that im looking for) are my key features, and all that I can have it now, will I have it some day with my beloved Pentax? who knows, hopefully yes, but no body knows at this time what is coming next with Ricoh, the thing is that time goes by and not many people that actually makes money out of photograghy can take the chance to wait for who knows how long for a gear that fits what they are looking for .... I really hope that Ricoh release a more versatile FF than what K1 is, something not that nicky, perhaps something like what the D750 was or the 5D series.. or now what the A7iii is... But, that is just my case, everybody have different needs.
08-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
who knows, hopefully yes, but no body knows at this time what is coming next with Ricoh,
Well for a person like yourself,you HAVE to choose the system that does the job.Its frustrating that RI are not a bit more open about things.Sure, the lens roadmap is good but always seems to fall behind the initial release "guess".Those people waiting for a dual card APSC body must be bemused.

CaNik have some big announcements soon too, then $$$ony will TRUMP them!(most likely at PhotoKina),wait and see whats coming.
08-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #157
Veteran Member

CaNik have some big announcements soon too, then $$$ony will TRUMP them!(most likely at PhotoKina),wait and see whats coming.
I feel that the upcoming Photokina will be pack of surprices coming from every camera brand.. crossing fingers that Ricoh join this "big news club"

10-10-2018, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #158

Most of what I want could possibly go into a firmware update:
1) "Expand" the ISO range down to, say 12.5, to allow for creative work you'd normally need an ND for. Leave the native ISO where it is, but just digitally filter out some of the input to fake the lower ISO.
2) In Pixel Shift and Super Resolution modes, the mirror needs to not close in between shots. Mirror pops up, four pictures get taken, mirror pops down. This would reduce the time to take the four shots and also reduce shaking caused by mirror slap.
3) Frames per second... yeah. In crop mode, I want 8fps. In full frame, let's go for 6. We need the faster FPS, because...
4) ...the new auto-focus algorithm will improve continuous focus enough for people to consider the camera to be acceptable for sports.

Of course, all that could actually be done. Below are some ideas I dreamed up when sleep deprived. None of them are feasible (nor serious), but hey, I can dream, right?
10-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Question is not what should it be. The camera must be under development right now, so the question is what will it be.
11-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Question is not what should it be. The camera must be under development right now, so the question is what will it be.
It better be F**$#ing amazing if Ricoh wants to have a chance and be notice.. Competition is really strong and the market is moving fast for a company that think slow.
11-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jathys Quote
Most of what I want could possibly go into a firmware update:
1) "Expand" the ISO range down to, say 12.5, to allow for creative work you'd normally need an ND for. Leave the native ISO where it is, but just digitally filter out some of the input to fake the lower ISO.
2) In Pixel Shift and Super Resolution modes, the mirror needs to not close in between shots. Mirror pops up, four pictures get taken, mirror pops down. This would reduce the time to take the four shots and also reduce shaking caused by mirror slap.
3) Frames per second... yeah. In crop mode, I want 8fps. In full frame, let's go for 6. We need the faster FPS, because...
4) ...the new auto-focus algorithm will improve continuous focus enough for people to consider the camera to be acceptable for sports.

Of course, all that could actually be done. Below are some ideas I dreamed up when sleep deprived. None of them are feasible (nor serious), but hey, I can dream, right?
Hidden content may not be quoted
At least with your option "d", you wouldn't have to worry about running down the battery
11-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So now that the K-1 II has been out for a while, and it's basically still the same camera with some improvements, what should the next Pentax full frame camera be?
A mandatory manipulation of RAW data (aka "accelerator" processing) is not "some improvement". The feature is appreciated by a number of people but the inability to turn off noise reduction of RAW data definitely harmed the K-1 II. I fully agree that the K-1 II features improvements over the K-1, but sadly, it is not simply a matter of positive improvements only.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My comment was about people disparaging importance of the 'accelerator'; they continually talk as though it is an unimportant change in the design, and yet it is the one feature that has generated all the talk, here and at DPR, about the new camera.
Unfortunately, the "talk" that was generated at DPReview (and to a good degree on this forum as well) was negative talk.

No doubt the mandatory "accelerator" processing cost the K-1 II much needed rating points. The clowns at DPReview probably would have found a way to withhold an award for the K-1 II anyhow even it had provided a way to turn off the "accelerator" processing, but remember that the K-1 at least received a "Silver Award" from DPReview. I'd be the first to agree that DPReview should not be taken too seriously when it comes to properly evaluating cameras, but there is unfortunately no way around the fact that it is an extremely well-visited site which undoubtedly influences buyer decisions.

Personally, I hope Pentax will continue to build on their strengths (optical viewfinder, IBIS, great image quality for a bargain price) and will manage to address some of the weaknesses (AF-C performance). I hope they'll always offer an alternative to MILCs.