Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 12:53 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
Logic might suggest that a 100-300 would fit better with the 28-105 as part of the variable-aperture series, and be easier to design and cheaper to manufacture.

08-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
Logic might suggest that a 100-300 would fit better with the 28-105 as part of the variable-aperture series
Yes, you may have a point. And maybe a 17-30 would work better for the wide angle zoom. But I bet we're getting a 70-300 regardless — and it will be a welcome addition. It's a very common range and most manufacturers of FF cameras have at least one such lens. I don't mind the overlap in the least as it can sometimes limit the number of times you need to swap lenses.
09-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Irix Firefly 15mm Wide Angle

Just purchased this lens from Adorama and early returns show a nice color palette though I'm not ready to post any new images. These Irix lenses are made in Korea and I am very impressed with the quality. I chose the Firefly version because it is $225 cheaper and not as weather resistant as its metal bodied counter-part (blackbird). I have no intention on going on safari so the extra water proofing on the front cap was not needed.

Optically these lenses are the same, so I went lighter with the ABS shell. I personally think these lenses are as good or better than Pentax in build and quality. I'm going to shoot with it this month and report back after that time.
09-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #64
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know why some of the fairly recent ( ok 20 yrs ) FA range cannot be returned to the market ?
The 20 .24.28 for example
Were the dies lost in the tsunami ?
Or has the eco credentials for glass made it uneconomical ?
just a thought

Dave

09-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone tried the DA 4/16-45 on the K-1 for IQ?
I heard for 21+ mm it is covering the FF image circle.

For me, I would have to test it with a film body that can control aperture (Super A in Tv or P mode).
Sometime this year I may do that.

I also have the Cosina 19-35mm, which can be quite sharp, but has a strange mustache deviation in UWA usage.
09-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Does anyone know why some of the fairly recent ( ok 20 yrs ) FA range cannot be returned to the market ?
While it's of course possible that some of the types of glass elements used in some of the lenses are no longer available, the main reasons for not doing them are probably: (1) none of the FA lenses are weather sealed; (2) none of the FA lenses have focus moters; (3) many of the FA lenses can be found used at prices lower than would new versions would cost to bring to market; (4) none of the FA lenses quite match, in terms of sharpness and contrast, the high standards that prevail in Pentax's DFA series of lenses.
09-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #67
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Greg

Thanks for that

I supose what the market expects as a minimun is not the same of 20 yrs ago.
Pity really not every new lens should have to have all the bells and whistles.

Dave
09-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #68
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
It is a very small company with limited resources. Quite a few wide angle lenses listed here:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

The newest D FA 15-30, 24-70, and 28-105 are readily available.
I adjusted the search for Pentax lenses K mount, in and out of production of 35mm or less

<= 36mm Lenses | PentaxForums.com

52 lenses are listed, both prime and zooms

09-08-2018, 12:11 AM - 7 Likes   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just a thought

Dave
Some are because of the glass (lead in the composition).
The main one imo is that digital, ease of pixel peeping, pervasiveness of number based online reviews have killed off the practical/pictorial based lenses that some of the smaller legacy wides represent.

These old smaller wides are not as sharp on the far sides as many modern ones on digital.
Often, more CA problems too.

Pentax pursued smaller lenses in the DA series too and got hammered by most online reviews that are numbers based.
The usual, Canikon is 2800lpmm on the edges and Pentax is 2000lpmm, type comparisons.
Which of them ever wrote a review like "I was dead worn out carrying my 16-35/4L v2 over a week of sunrise/sunset shooting vs my M20/4 that I simply kept in my side pocket."

---------- Post added 09-08-2018 at 03:16 PM ----------

Samyang 14/2.8

Laowa 12/2.8

M20/4

FA31ltd

K28/3.5

IMO, this question of wide/UWA lenses is not about there being nothing out there to buy,
Its really about just getting one of the new or legacy options and finding more time to shoot.
09-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #70
Veteran Member

The lens I want the most are basically full frame equivalents of the DA 12-24 f4 and the DA 15mm limiteds. A DFA 20mm f4 and a DFA* 16-35mm f4. The lack of a quality f4 ultrawide zoom really hurts the K-1 right now. Not everyone wants a f2.8 beast but still wants sharp corners and low vignetting in a zoom.
09-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems like the Sigma Super-Wide II AF is the closest we've got to a DA 15 Ltd on full-frame. Unfortunately the Super-Wide's build quality is nothing like the DA 15's. As far as the zoom mentioned, the Sigma or Tamron 17-35's are probably somewhat similar although again not as nice as a real Pentax product. There's also that FA-J 18-35 that Normhead has spoken positively about.

I agree that new lenses would help the brand.
09-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax obviously have limited resources when it comes to designing new FF glass - the old FA lenses can still be found but if we're after new glass, we'll have to wait for it. Primes wouldn't have worked various shooters would be wanting different lengths in the 16, 20, 24, 28... ranges so Pentax went for a super-wide zoom (keeps us all happy). Because CaNikon shooters have access to f/2.8 super-wide zooms, Pentax probably felt they had to match them (which is probably right), thus leaving those who want a cheaper, smaller, lighter lens* still waiting an F/4 lens.

* Note: With WR & SDM motors installed, it may mean that 'cheaper, smaller & lighter' lenses may no longer be cheap, small or light enough to make much of a difference - see the latest DA* 50/1.4 as an example.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
IMO, this question of wide/UWA lenses is not about there being nothing out there to buy,
Its really about just getting one of the new or legacy options and finding more time to shoot.
What he said - or more correctly demonstrated with those fabulous images.

John.

Last edited by johnha; 09-24-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Quote added.
09-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The lens I want the most are basically full frame equivalents of the DA 12-24 f4 and the DA 15mm limiteds. A DFA 20mm f4 and a DFA* 16-35mm f4. The lack of a quality f4 ultrawide zoom really hurts the K-1 right now. Not everyone wants a f2.8 beast but still wants sharp corners and low vignetting in a zoom.
Understand what you mean as I prefer small UWA lenses too.

However, I think Pentax got burned badly by numbers based reviews during the apsc years when going for smaller lenses (eg. DA15ltd, DA limiteds )
So for now, to look to be as viable (numbers wise) to competitors, they are doing big, all sharp lenses first.

The FF equivalent to the DA15ltd right now is the M20/4, Voigtlander 20/3.5 and K24/2.8 as far as I have tried.

No idea on the zooms though... Maybe one of those APSC UWA zooms pressed into service in the 18-24mm range?
10-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

just a thought

Dave
I think it's a combination...I also think that old lenses on new Camera bodies create certain softness and lack the detail of some of the new lenses as the technology in the new asph designs....It's a preference . I don't shoot many portraits so for me the vast detail of landscape or faster capture is more important than head shots.
10-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although Pentax is a bit slow with their new releases we have plenty of killer legacy glasses out there. One of my favourite is being their Pentax-F 2.8/28mm. Superb with the K-1, fairly cheap and not too difficult to source one.
So I would be tolerant with our "mother" company and keep using their old glasses until they catch up lens wise. I am biased but would not leave the brand because their current lens offerings. Try to work around limitations and keep shooting their great existing gear.