Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
Although Pentax is a bit slow with their new releases we have plenty of killer legacy glasses out there. One of my favourite is being their Pentax-F 2.8/28mm. Superb with the K-1, fairly cheap and not too difficult to source one.
So I would be tolerant with our "mother" company and keep using their old glasses until they catch up lens wise. I am biased but would not leave the brand because their current lens offerings. Try to work around limitations and keep shooting their great existing gear.
Agree completely - I think the F series lenses AF faster than the FAs - there's less 'resistance' in the focus mechanism (the Z series cameras had faster AF motors with more torque than the SFX/SF7). The F series lenses aren't as nice if manually focussing (smaller focussing rings and too little resistance) due to these reasons.

A wide-angle zoom covers most bases, but primes cover only one and different users have their own preferences. If Pentax were to develop new primes (acknowledging the FA31 is out there), which would be most preferred - 16, 20, 24, 28? Someone would ask for a new version of the 30mm, some would want a choice between two 28s (f/2 & f/2.8), some would want a smaller/lighter 24 than the f/2 - I pondered this and realised the FA20-35/4 was the best compromise.

11-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
A wide-angle zoom covers most bases, but primes cover only one and different users have their own preferences.
I'm not as in love with Thomas Heaton as others, but there's no doubting he's a popular YouTube vlogger.

AFAIK he's decided to put away his Zeiss 21mm and go with the Canon 16-35mm.