Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2019, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #301
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
For wide angle shots, yes, the K-1 is superior with more total megapixels and when at high iso, but for macro and tele shots, the K3 has more density for heavy crops and will pull more detail using the same lenses. I find I'm not willing to pay 3-4 times the money for a K-1 and give up the better ability for cropping macro and wildlife shots. And 24mp shooting at 15mm is quite amazing; not sure 36mp at 22mm would make much a discernible difference unless you are printing billboards to be viewed at close viewing distances, and even harder to tell a difference at base iso 100 (which I mostly shoot).
You have to put a lot of caveats in there to make a point that is, at best, questionable.
I used to be one of those people that made myself believe that full frame was just a meh because I didn't have one.
I pointedly ignored what friends who had full frame Nikons and Canons told me because I didn't want to know what I was missing out on.
Then the K1 came along, I bought one, and realized that just like with film, more real estate translated to better pictures.
I kept my K3 for exactly the reasons you stated, but I haven't had a battery in it for over 3 years.

05-14-2019, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
For wide angle shots, yes, the K-1 is superior with more total megapixels and when at high iso, but for macro and tele shots, the K3 has more density for heavy crops and will pull more detail using the same lenses. I find I'm not willing to pay 3-4 times the money for a K-1 and give up the better ability for cropping macro and wildlife shots. And 24mp shooting at 15mm is quite amazing; not sure 36mp at 22mm would make much a discernible difference unless you are printing billboards to be viewed at close viewing distances, and even harder to tell a difference at base iso 100 (which I mostly shoot).
I've sung the praises of the K-3 for a long time. I told a lot of people that I didn't want or need full frame. I got a K-1 only (I thought) for reviewing purposes.

A few hours with the K-1 and the K-3 became redundant. I've used it only for reviews, and when my K-1 went for the MK2 upgrade. The K-1 became my main shooter in less than a day.

Noise handling is so much better that, except at really low ISO, cropping on the K-1 is easier than using the higher pixel density of the K-3.

In other words, your logic is sound, but experience shows that the noise handling of the K-1 beats the higher "resolution per surface unit" of the K-3.
05-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot wildlife and the limiting factor is usually light. A K3 vs K1 at >1600 iso, the advantage goes to the K1. In very good light the denser pixels had an advantage.

When I sent my K1 in for an upgrade I used the K3 and remembered the hard ceiling on iso performance.
05-14-2019, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from K5 to K1ii and use mainly older manual lenses. It's great to be able to use these lenses as they were designed. Most noteworthy difference is in wide open performance. With many lenses on APSC I tried to avoid it. With FF I love it. Large censor squeesh out the best of limited sharpness and boosts the bokeh.

With APSC I mainly shot from stopped down to f8. With most lenses there was no gain in going to f11. With K1ii I have a lot more to choose from and go comfortably from wide open to f16. Due to shallower DOF it's sometimes needed to for smaller apertures than with APSC, but the drop in sharpness is not that visible, so it's no problem.

When I compare my shots with K1ii to ones taken with K5 it's clearly visible that there is more detail and finesse in the shots. Everything looks just a little bit better.

As I don't do wildlife, I like the view angle FF provide. My lens lineup feels more usable with it.

I don't see much use for my old bodies at the moment. They don't provide any more reach than K1ii in crop mode and I rarely need that. There are some occasions where I need more bodies, as there is no time and weather doesn't really allow lens changes, but i wish I had more FF bodies to take with me. I bought K1ii with thought that it would be my camera for a long time, but might end up getting also the next FF model or the one after that depending on censor improvements.

05-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K3 does have some advantage in "reach" over the K-1 in low iso settings. It isn't as much as you would think and once you get over iso 800, that advantage is nil, because the k3 just isn't as good at high iso as the K-1. For macro shots, APS-C is as good as full frame, although both are probably going to require photo stacking and similar techniques to get the same quality images (depth of field is going to be the same in macro situations for the same magnification).