Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2022, 01:51 PM   #361

Photos: Gallery
I never switched from APS-C to FF, I use them both for different purposes. I find the KP and K-1ii a kind of twins, similar looks, similar ergonomics, similar menu structure.

Shooting photographs with very narrow DOF's, like long tele's or a K1.2/50 can not be done super accurate through an OVF. That's not because you can't judge sharpness through the finder, you can, but because the finder is not precise enough neither is focus confirmation. The tolerances of in-camera dimensions are not precise enough. The only 100% reliable way to do it is using live view with magnification and IBIS off.

I really like my K1ii, but for precise manual focusing an EVF is superior over an OVF.

10-31-2022, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #362

To be perfectly honest, I was excited and happy that my jump was from a K5 to the K1, however, I think I would have been happier with a KP given its compact size and capability. The K1 is unfortunately just too big for me to take around all the time. It is great to be able to use the FA limiteds in their native FF glory though.
11-01-2022, 02:17 AM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
Shooting photographs with very narrow DOF's, like long tele's or a K1.2/50 can not be done super accurate through an OVF. That's not because you can't judge sharpness through the finder, you can, but because the finder is not precise enough neither is focus confirmation. The tolerances of in-camera dimensions are not precise enough. The only 100% reliable way to do it is using live view with magnification and IBIS off.
I agree with you that using Live View zoomed 100% is the best way to manually focus any lens on a Pentax DSLR that has LV. I use this method a lot when using manual focus glass, with the camera on a tripod.

Where this is not practical, say for moving subjects, remember that you can fine tune the AF confirmation green hexagon symbol (and beep) in the Auto Focus/Fine Adjustment menu. With a bit of practice using the AF confirmation adjustment together with establishing where it is best to focus your lens from (near or infinity), I find I can achieve almost as good as using LV
11-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What ever happened to setting an aperture and using the focus ring markings to get adequate sharpness over the distances marked on the lens? Pixel peeping, that's what happened. Do I like my mages sharp? Yes. But if I have to go to extremes to get it perfect at 100% magnification, etc., I find that starts to rob me of the fun of shooting.

11-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
What ever happened to setting an aperture and using the focus ring markings to get adequate sharpness over the distances marked on the lens?
That may work fine for a landscape shot on a 28mm lens at f8. Try it for a portrait head shot on a 85mm lens and it wont work.
11-01-2022, 12:36 PM - 3 Likes   #366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I get it. Some work does require the extra attention to detail. I just find that, with the advent of digital (years now) there's a bit TOO much emphasis on ultimate resolution vs the general feel of the shot. Ability to zoom in on the subject in real time is a great tool, and I use it when I need to, but I stand by my feeling that it detracts from the enjoyment of just shooting. I don't do portrait work as a disclaimer.
11-17-2022, 10:55 AM - 3 Likes   #367

I've used both APS-C and FF bodies for Pentax (and many other brands). Right now I'm APS-C only but my intention is to get another K-1 some time in the near future as I think both have different uses.

I often like travelling light and then I feel better off with an APS-C kit but if I have a planned landscape or studio session I'd much rather have the K-1. Also for any project where I intend to produce prints I tend to lean towards the K-1 just to have that little extra flexibility in print sizes.

Ultimately I think it's important that you have at least one camera you feel like you can take out whenever you're heading out for a walk or on a trip to another place. If you just look for the best image quality you might end up with a large format field camera or a bulky medium format camera that you might hate lugging around. The other related point is that you should have the gear that inspires you to photograph. There's no point having the most convenient system if you don't enjoy using it.

01-25-2023, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #368
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Yes!

All my legacy glass is utilized to the fullest extent possible.

Better image quality and resolution.

An even better method for digitizing slides and negatives.

I may never go back to APSC.

Ever.
01-25-2023, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love to having the choice between APSC and FF … and I guess I also would love to own and use the 645Z in addition

Last edited by acoufap; 01-25-2023 at 11:29 AM.
01-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #370
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes!

Ever.
I considered the K3III for its video capabilities, but lost interest when i discovered that the 4K was cropped down from apsc. Otherwise, I might have one right now. So, I'm hoping the next K1 (or 645Z!) will have 4K, and I could live with it being cropped down to apsc. But not below.
01-26-2023, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes!

Ever.
I know the feeling
01-26-2023, 10:23 AM   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I agree with you that using Live View zoomed 100% is the best way to manually focus any lens on a Pentax DSLR that has LV. I use this method a lot when using manual focus glass, with the camera on a tripod.

Where this is not practical, say for moving subjects, remember that you can fine tune the AF confirmation green hexagon symbol (and beep) in the Auto Focus/Fine Adjustment menu. With a bit of practice using the AF confirmation adjustment together with establishing where it is best to focus your lens from (near or infinity), I find I can achieve almost as good as using LV
remember that you can fine tune the AF confirmation green hexagon symbol (and beep) in the Auto Focus/Fine Adjustment menu.

Read more at: are you happy with switching to FF? - Page 25 - PentaxForums.com
Ihave seen this comment several times, but I don't get it. Where is this, and what does it do?

---------- Post added 01-26-23 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
remember that you can fine tune the AF confirmation green hexagon symbol (and beep) in the Auto Focus/Fine Adjustment menu.

Read more at: are you happy with switching to FF? - Page 25 - PentaxForums.com
Ihave seen this comment several times, but I don't get it. Where is this, and what does it do?
Never mind. I understand now. I thought there was a way to change the size of the focus point, but that's not what Fine Adjustment does. It seems to me that the focus point on the K1 is larger than on the KP. Maybe just my perception.

To get back on topic, I love the K1II, and love to use it. It feels perfect to me. (But I still like the KP and use it often)
01-26-2023, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
The AF system when using the viewfinder uses Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF). It relies on a AF sensor that lies in the mirror box behind the mirror (part of the mirror is semi-translucent). In an ideal world the distance from the subject to the AF sensor will be identical to the distance to the camera's recording sensor. However small variances in manufacturing tolerances in the camera itself, or due to the way the lens itself auto-focusses, mean that there can be a difference which results in back or front focus. Using the adjustment available in the AF/FA menu allows you to correct for this either globally or for individual lenses.