Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #241

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am surprised you didn't manage to find a FA 85. I am not looking for such a lens as I own sigma EX version but only for 2018 I spotted maybe one per month on average
Looking for the f1.4 version.. (Creamy grey one). Not too keen to purchase from abroad.. When such a high price.. Maybe I just havn't looked hard enough then...

12-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Looking for the f1.4 version.. (Creamy grey one). Not too keen to purchase from abroad.. When such a high price.. Maybe I just havn't looked hard enough then...
hi, i bought one from japan 1100 dollars + 297 euros tax my mate brought it with him from France for me, i love it now my most used lens, ian
12-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbone51 Quote
K3 vs K1 ii:

Image Quality is similar; actually, to my eye, I can't really tell the difference between K3 (24mp), K1ii (36mp) and K1ii (crop mode, 15mp). Even pixel-peeping, they all look good.

Advantage of K3: smaller, lighter, works so well with small lenses like 20-40, 15mm.

Advantage of K1ii: geotagging, wi-fi for JPEGs, significantly better at high ISO (relatively noise-less to 3200), much better dynamic range, works so well with 28-105 "kit" lens, larger viewfinder, significantly better autofocus C mode.

Both are very nice cameras. I like having GPS built in, rather than trying to attach the external 0-gps1 device; it fell off and broke. GPS is a nice feature. Crop mode works great.
If someone is happy with aps-c then they should stay with it. Using a k1 in crop mode, personally, is not something I bought the camera for. I bought it for full frame use only. I gave up generally on pixel peeping. But I do want to know what a poster size print will look like. Although some claim increased resolution has little to do with final appearance..,,blow up the same scene from an aps-c , k1 , and 645d...to say 24x36 and you will notice the difference. For 11x14 likely no difference noticed. But dynamic range, gps built in, brighter viewfinder, ability to use full frame older and newer lenses, was what made me take the jump.
12-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #244

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
hi, i bought one from japan 1100 dollars + 297 euros tax my mate brought it with him from France for me, i love it now my most used lens, ian
Brilliant... !! Im jealous now...

01-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #245

I'm super happy switching to FF, but sadly I left the Pentax world. I used to mostly do landscape/outdoor pictures and the K-x/K-5 IIS served me great. These days I mostly take pictures of my twins and I needed the low ISO performance and the fast AF and decent AF tracking. Reading the reviews it didn't seem like the K-1 would do much for me in terms of AF tracking. I went with the D750 and Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART and just by looking at the SOOC JPEG I was impressed. Since I rarely have a lot of time to process RAW files these days this has been a good investment.
01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vtqanh Quote
These days I mostly take pictures of my twins and I needed the low ISO performance and the fast AF and decent AF tracking.
You probably shouldn't be telling Pentax users what their cameras won't do.....
01-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #247

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You probably shouldn't be telling Pentax users what their cameras won't do.....
Pentax K1 Autofocus Samples - Can it focus? - YouTube
I saw your post a while back, it didn't really help. I have been a Pentax customer for 12 years owning various Pentax modern as well as legacy glass, I know what I can make it do and what I cannot make it do. Pentax deserved users like you, not me. In the end I chose a system where my incompetence is made up by an equally powerful yet more forgiving camera system.

When I entered the DSLR world, a friend told me to get Pentax and a couple MF focus lenses and start with that because other camera system (Canon/Nikon) would make me lazy. He was right. I learned a lot. But I'm choosing laziness this time, because time is what I lack these days

01-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #248
Pentaxian

I used to mostly do landscape/outdoor pictures and the K-x/K-5 IIS served me great.
I only know what you tell me. There's no way if your last Pentax was a K-5ii you know what modern Pentax's do. The K-5 won't even use the faster focusing PLM lenses and there's whole new line of DFA lenses since the K-5 was released. My wife still shoots a K-5. SO, if that's your last Pentax, I know what you know, and it isn't current a current performance standard. But, I'm not saying you're wrong, in your choice. It's not one I'd make but to each his own. I'm wondering why you think we need to know about it.
01-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #249

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I only know what you tell me. There's no way if your last Pentax was a K-5ii you know what modern Pentax's do. But, I'm not saying you're wrong, in your choice. I'm wondering why you think we need to know about it.
I saw the post title on the main page while checking up on my PMs (are you happy with switching to FF) and replied :-)
01-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #250
Pentaxian

I'm super happy switching to FF, but sadly I left the Pentax world. I used to mostly do landscape/outdoor pictures and the K-x/K-5 IIS served me great. These days I mostly take pictures of my twins and I needed the low ISO performance and the fast AF and decent AF tracking. Reading the reviews it didn't seem like the K-1 would do much for me in terms of AF tracking. I went with the D750 and Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART and just by looking at the SOOC JPEG I was impressed. Since I rarely have a lot of time to process RAW files these days this has been a good investment.
When our girls were young, all cameras were MF .... but I have wonderful photos of them somehow. My Pentax KP produces very admirable SOOC JPEGs these days, so I'm guessing the K-1ii could do that also.
01-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #251
Pentaxian

I saw the post title on the main page while checking up on my PMs (are you happy with switching to FF) and replied :-)
Ya, you have a point, he could have meant any brand.
01-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #252
Forum Member

I like to photograph landscape and city but also portraits. But I also take it with me when on holidays and hiking or skiing! I can say I´m very happy having bought the K1 in 2017. At that time it seemed to me to be the best value for the price. Of course it´s been one of the heaviest SLRs (althought the Nikon D810 was only about 30g less weight. But do you feel the difference???). But in contrast it´s usually a bit smaller of size than the other FF-SLRs, even some APSC-Cameras are bigger (I remember the Nikon D7500). So it fits in relatively small bags.
Of course, Sony cameras are smaller and much lighter. But I appreciate the robustness and the easy handling of the K1. The handling of Canon may be similar, but Nikon and Sony in my opinion are more complex in that respect.
APSC may have advantage when doing street or wild animal photography.
01-09-2019, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am sure if you "bench-tested" the modern lenses against the old designed for film lenses you would find the former do a better job of resolving detail that the K1 sensor take advantage of. But this would only be apparent if you print large pictures, and I would suggest that general photographic technique would play just as much a part to the final image. For most folks displaying images on the web there is no difference.
Challenge accepted!

I currently have 5 50-55mm lenses at home (from M to DFA and third-party) and have begun performing formal tests with them. Stay tuned, when these reviews are done, we'll have more to discuss
01-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #254

Well done. Will be very interested in the outcome.. Even though it will be embarassing for Pentax if the £1200 lens isnt, streets ahead...
01-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #255
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Well done. Will be very interested in the outcome.. Even though it will be embarassing for Pentax if the £1200 lens isnt, streets ahead...
You can see the MTF curves of the DFA* here, Stu, it's a Zeiss killer … the numbers are extraordinary.
Attached Images