Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #256

Photos: Gallery
Have to show my ingnorance here Clackers. And admit I've no idea what all that means or what the hell a MFT Curve is...? But I believe the Sigma ART 1.4 has similar numbers at a lot less money... Problem is we no longer seem to get access..

01-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Well done. Will be very interested in the outcome.. Even though it will be embarassing for Pentax if the £1200 lens isnt, streets ahead...
Have you looked at images with it? It is a very impressive piece of glass with significantly better out of focus rendering and in focus to out of focus transitions than the Sigma 50mm Art you mentioned later.
01-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #258

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Have you looked at images with it? It is a very impressive piece of glass with significantly better out of focus rendering and in focus to out of focus transitions than the Sigma 50mm Art you mentioned later.
Yes I have.. And like you seem to be. Have also been suitably impressed. Its just its price that makes me shy away.. Maybe I just think I would use an 85 mm more and await that... I never said the 50mm is a poor lens. Just in my opinion expensive...!!
01-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Yes I have.. And like you seem to be. Have also been suitably impressed. Its just its price that makes me shy away.. Maybe I just think I would use an 85 mm more and await that... I never said the 50mm is a poor lens. Just in my opinion expensive...!!
The Zeiss Otus 55 1.4 is $4k.... now that's expensive..

01-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #260
Veteran Member

I have the k-1 for over a year now and definitely enjoy using it more than the crop-sensor camera. IMHO, the camera ergonomic design gives me more flexibility in various situation (especially the articulate screen vs the k-3). The full frame sensor on the k-1 also gives more headroom to crop and/or under exposure tolerance in high dynamic range situations. I am mainly in event photography so k-1 is more suitable for me than the k-3.
01-29-2019, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #261
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently bought the K-1 II and whilst it is like driving a luxury car, its performance is still at least as good in every way as a crop camera (I had the K-5 II before), apart from the less important (to me) 7fps continuous shooting. I have the same experience as others here noting the increased versatility of the larger format and even better DR. Most importantly for me, it opens up all of the FA Limited lenses to their true wider FoV.

Last edited by Ash; 01-29-2019 at 04:11 PM.
01-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Recently bought the K-1 II and whilst it is like driving a luxury car, its performance is still at least as good in every way as a crop camera (I had the K-5 II before), apart from the less important (to me) 7fps continuous shooting. I have the same experience as others here noting the increased versatility of the larger format and even better DR. Most importantly for me, it opens up all of the FA Limited lenses to their true wider FoV.
Nicely said.

P.S. You don't have to give up the high burst rate of the K-5 if you are willing to accept the image resolution of the K-5. In crop mode, the K-1ii will shoot 6.4 fps @ 15 MPix a shot. It's like a luxury car that converts into a sports car at the touch of a button.

01-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #263
Pentaxian

And it doesn't change in afc when you hold the button down. I used my K3 during the time when my K1 was of getting upgraded and found it slow and unresponsive for that reason.
01-30-2019, 04:41 AM - 2 Likes   #264
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 is a K-5 plus...

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Nicely said.

P.S. You don't have to give up the high burst rate of the K-5 if you are willing to accept the image resolution of the K-5. In crop mode, the K-1ii will shoot 6.4 fps @ 15 MPix a shot. It's like a luxury car that converts into a sports car at the touch of a button.
Yep, this is one of the reasons I held back on adopting the K-1, because I actually thought that without the performance of at least the K-3 in crop mode, it doesn't have enough of an advantage to go FF. I admit I saw things too theoretically (by the specs) to care enough about how the form factor matters in real life.

The K-1 fits the versatility of a K-5 with the flexibility of a FF camera within the same package, akin to how my kids made the upgrade from the Nintendo Wii to the Wii U so seamlessly. Backwards compatibility is something Pentax do well, and I think they are doing better than what the "market share" seems to portray as a result of this legacy.
01-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #265
Pentaxian

But you are giving up the 24 MP of a K-3 which actually adds close to 25% more resolution. The resolution increase, from the K-5 to the K-3 is as much as the resolution added from the K-3 to the K-1.
01-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But you are giving up the 24 MP of a K-3 which actually adds close to 25% more resolution. The resolution increase, from the K-5 to the K-3 is as much as the resolution added from the K-3 to the K-1.
Hmmm.. Are you sure about that? The K-3 has 50% more megapickles than the K-5 and the K-1 has 50% more megapickles than the K-3 so the resolution boost is the same.

I suppose that if you talk about "can I resolve the barbs on a blue jay feather with a 300 mm lens" then the K-3 out-resolves both the K-1 and K-5.

But if you talk about LP/FW over the shooting envelope, then the K-1 is a bigger boost because its larger number of larger pixels enable it to get more resolution out of modest lenses (or lenses operating outside their sweet spot) than does the K-3 or K-5.
01-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #267
Pentaxian

From Imagine Resources K-5II resolution 2100 lw/ph, K-3 2700 lw/ph, K-1 3500 lw/ph. That's actual measured resolution using a Sigma 70 macro, same lens on all cameras. I don't really deal in theoretical constructs.
01-31-2019, 04:07 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roti Quote
are you happy with switching to FF?
Yes, the K1 system is great, so far. I've also tried the new mirrorless cameras and it wasn't quite as great as I would have thought from the hype last year at photokina: EOS R and Z, basically 2 frames per seconds in AFC (worse than the K1..), plus discomfort and lag of EVF with indoor lighting. But, I could have switched from apsc to medium format directly. K1 is excellent, there is definitely an improvement over apsc but the gap has narrowed with the KP (I even have a preference for some KP images). Medium format is plain awesome if we have the money, although full frame with 6 lenses isn't far off the cost of a medium format system with 2 lenses: something to keep in mind. OTOH, I've notice that medium format is very often used for landscape and still subjects, and in the same shooting situation I could stitch panos with the K1 with vertical RRS arca bracket mounted on arca rail (20 euros) on a wildlife gimbal for X and Y rotation around the center of the lens.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-31-2019 at 04:13 AM.
01-31-2019, 08:59 AM   #269
Pentaxian

I suppose that if you talk about "can I resolve the barbs on a blue jay feather with a 300 mm lens" then the K-3 out-resolves both the K-1 and K-5.
You say that like there's something wrong with the barbs on Blue Jay feathers.
I guess not seeing them is better for barb haters.
That's a class of hater I was only marginally aware of, not aware at all except for one of our more prominent landscape shooters has suggested he doesn't see the point in showing feather detail.
funny, you learn how to do something that you think makes your images more interesting. Someone else who observably doesn't put the time in feels the need to tell you what you do isn't important.

To paraphrase Bob Dylan "Don't tell me what is and what isn't important in an image."

Also more magnification and resolution for macros, but for me, it's worth it just for the Blue Jay feathers. The macros are even more dramatic.

I have a K-1, I have a K-3, I know what the advantages of each are. Someone trying to tell me what's important and what isn't doesn't help anything. When I walk out the door I usually take the K-1, but when I take the K-3 I shoot a lot more exposures (much more burst mode shooting, calling the K-1 burst mode a burst is misleading. I can manually trigger the shutter that fast.) . So in terms of shutter actuations over a year they end up pretty close.

So, to further emphasize the point, there are a lot of images, not just Blue Jay feather barbs, that a K-3 does better than or at least equal to a K-1. Your feeble attempt at diminishing that is just misdirection and obfuscation. Engaging in such practices does nothing but hint at bias.

And I use the K-3 a lot more than for barbs on Blue Jays. It does many other things well. It's a shame I have to point that out.
01-31-2019, 09:27 AM - 3 Likes   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You say that like there's something wrong with the barbs on Blue Jay feathers.
I guess not seeing them is better for barb haters.
That's a class of hater I was only marginally aware of, not aware at all except for one of our more prominent landscape shooters has suggested he doesn't see the point in showing feather detail.
funny, you learn how to do something that you think makes your images more interesting. Someone else who observably doesn't put the time in feels the need to tell you what you do isn't important.

To paraphrase Bob Dylan "Don't tell me what is and what isn't important in an image."

Also more magnification and resolution for macros, but for me, it's worth it just for the Blue Jay feathers. The macros are even more dramatic.

I have a K-1, I have a K-3, I know what the advantages of each are. Someone trying to tell me what's important and what isn't doesn't help anything. When I walk out the door I usually take the K-1, but when I take the K-3 I shoot a lot more exposures (much more burst mode shooting, calling the K-1 burst mode a burst is misleading. I can manually trigger the shutter that fast.) . So in terms of shutter actuations over a year they end up pretty close.

So, to further emphasize the point, there are a lot of images, not just Blue Jay feather barbs, that a K-3 does better than or at least equal to a K-1. Your feeble attempt at diminishing that is just misdirection and obfuscation. Engaging in such practices does nothing but hint at bias.

And I use the K-3 a lot more than for barbs on Blue Jays. It does many other things well. It's a shame I have to point that out.
Methinks your K-3 enables you to see barbs where none exist.

My comment was not an attack on the pursuit of high-resolution avian plumage images.

One of the deeper problems on these threads is that we all use the same words (e.g., resolution, equivalence, DoF, etc.) to mean very different but equally-useful things. And if we accidentally or intentionally use a different definition of a word, then it's no surprise that we bicker about the advantages and disadvantage of the methods and camera-lens system rankings linked to each different definition.

Thus, one root cause of confusion is a lack of consensus on the terminology.