Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
If Pentax launches a compact ML FF on L mount with fully automated adapter that enables the use of K mount lenses, I will of course reconsider this.
That needs to be second on your list, the first is a unicorn.

12-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I answer the OP again I say yes it was worth it for me.

In part due to the superior performance and ergonomics the K-1ii brings to bear on any situation. The K-new for APS-C will be a very worthy upgrade for those sticking to that format.
12-13-2019, 05:17 AM   #318

I think that having K1 and k-new is important !
12-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Believe it or not, I am not convinced that the K-1 is the true flagship. I have used all the major brands (I concentrate on Pentax and Leica now) and to me, APS-c cameras for Pentax is the 'sweet spot'. I see very little discernible difference with my KP or K-5ii vs. the K-1. Granted I don't print larger than 14 x 20, but the quality I seek id just fine at the APS-c level. Additionally, I find the Leica FF renditioning superior to the K-series....just my 2 cents.

12-15-2019, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Believe it or not, I am not convinced that the K-1 is the true flagship. I have used all the major brands (I concentrate on Pentax and Leica now) and to me, APS-c cameras for Pentax is the 'sweet spot'. I see very little discernible difference with my KP or K-5ii vs. the K-1. Granted I don't print larger than 14 x 20, but the quality I seek id just fine at the APS-c level. Additionally, I find the Leica FF renditioning superior to the K-series....just my 2 cents.

Sort of like when people say they cannot see the difference on pentax forum between a 6 megapixel photo and a K1 photo. Unless you are pushing your photos to the limit...i.e. processing in raw...or enlarging them quite a bit...you may not see a difference. On the other hand...

Before...with K1 and after pulling out all the detail ...and enlarging to poster size
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #321
Veteran Member

As someone who loves nightscapes.

Yes. The K-1 rocks.

And weighs like a bunch of rocks. Especially when I am lugging 2 around.

But since I tend to not travel too far from my car, I have survived. Although, I hope to travel further afield in the future. But for now, a mile or two.

If I did not do nightscapes, likely I would have upgraded from my K-5 to the KP. Although, I almost went with the Sony A7 Mark III.
12-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #322
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After processing my first concert photos from the k1ii just now, yes, it's a such a difference in comparison to my k3ii. Not just image quality, though it's obvious from a mile it's better and it's the first time I manage to get color images from this particular venue, not to mention that I had to do no noise reduction because the raw files were already taken care of! (yes, I know the argument about maybe disabling it, but I think it did a great job). Autofocus is much stickier and with a higher hit rate too, and perhaps even frames per second (the k3ii has double the fps with no autofocus, but in af-c it's a different story). I did have to manage the buffer a bit, which was almost never an issue for the k3ii, but I'm a hobbyist so it's fine as it is.

No idea which of these improvements would be found in the kp. Putting my two cameras in an unfair (because of price and time between releases) comparison, yes, it's worth the improvement. That, and I finally can use my fa 43 the way I've been using it on film for the past couple of years since getting it.

Last edited by aaacb; 12-19-2019 at 05:23 AM.
12-18-2019, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #323
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll post an example, again, of why I like the K-1ii.
All this with a very average 40 year old lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
12-19-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn.
I do not want to start thinking about a K1.
12-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Damn.
Lol. Too late! Nice to the point interior example from Mark with crop and cropped crop. But I bet K1 owners can't help but think about the 645Z.
Fortunately this is often the gap between needing and wanting.
12-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Lol. Too late! Nice to the point interior example from Mark with crop and cropped crop. But I bet K1 owners can't help but think about the 645Z.
Luckily the 645Z is so far out of reach it's not worth thinking about!
12-19-2019, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Um yes, with the K-1 I could get away with using DA or older film lenses, but changing to medium format means a whole new wardrobe!
645 isn't just a step up, it's a huge financial leap! In this neck of the woods a 645Z and 55mm lens is equivalent to the cost of a K-1II, plus a K-3II, plus a DFA 24-70 plus a DFA 150-450! That's a whole lot of explaining to the missus!
12-19-2019, 11:57 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol 2.
I just think the KP is the right camera for me, I am waiting post holidays sales for lower prices. It is smaller but not too small, has great low light performance and looks as sturdy as my K10D.
Anyway when I look at the K1 I think it would be much more comfortable in my hands. And I think it would produce cleaner files.
12-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Damn.
The used prices are in the $1000 range from other posts I have seen.

So that might even make it harder.
12-22-2019, 04:17 AM - 4 Likes   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'll post an example, again, of why I like the K-1ii.
All this with a very average 40 year old lens.
Does the K-1 clean counter tops and polish stainless steel?

I'd hate to post a photo of my kitchen right now at any iso, with any lens...