Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 mkII , a step back?

Just looking at some test images from imaging resources. For Micro contrast and resolution the K-1 appears to be better than the K-1 mkII both at 1600 ISO and 51200 ISO.

The differences are small but still quite distinct. They haven't put up the lw/ph measurements yet, but I'm guessing there will actually be some drop-off when they do. The K-1 is rated at 3450 lw/ph, my guess is the K-1II won't do better than 3350.

Sad news.

06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 mkII , a step back?
Just looking at some test images from imaging resources.
I have been waiting for their review to flesh out and was anticipating something similar to this. Their methodology is very straightforward and allows for very valid comparisons. Noise is lower, though with artifact similar to that caused by smoothing in PP.

Question...what image pairs are these (file names)?

Steve
06-23-2018, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe rather than just a step back, it is a small sacrifice for a major step forward in another area. A realignment of the comprimises that exist in every system...
06-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Norm, are these from the jpeg or raw files ?

06-23-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TBH, I couldn't care less if the IQ difference is so small that pixel peepers have to strain their eyes at 100% magnification to detect any debatable difference, which seems to be the case.

My main interest is in any improvement in continuous autofocus speed and accuracy. User reports on this front sound positive. Hopefully IR will give that a look and report on what they find.

My 2 cents for what it's worth...

Daryl
06-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the MkII was first announced, especially with the upgrade option - I thought, sure a no brainier.

Since then, reading and looking while following all of the threads and reviews, with each item peeling back various aspects of the upgrade, I have become even more interested in keeping just exactly what I have. All I'm interested in is going out and shooting - interesting stuff.

I'm rethinking my approach to shooting, and adapting my approach (with very minor changes) to the K1's strengths, while re-thinking my post processing work flow to the K1's raw images and what I want to bring out. My interests in gear has been in steady decline in the past few years. Over the last 15 years, I have slowly acquired all the tools I need for ambient low light shooting. And with shooting the K1 and carefully thinking about the results, I'm making some subtle changes. Bottom line, is that the K1 is everything I could want and offers (more than) everything that I need. There are a few (minor) changes I would welcome, however the basic body offers all the functionalities, I need to workaround all of my minor concerns. Also, in a few areas the functionality / usability has been greatly enhanced (astrotracker), over the K5/O-GPS1 that I was using, so my shooting is even easier and faster. There are some slight trade-offs I'm making (using LENR), but for me they are pretty minor.

All in all, the K1 has been a winner (for me), and with each one of these comparisons I have gone from being very happy and become extremely happy. There is no perfect camera. There is and always will be compromises in doing photography. There will always be compromises with any camera body and system.

So, I'm just going to count me happy and go out and shoot. Well, perhaps not during the day right now - it's 111 out, perhaps this evening when it cools off to a ~85.

06-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jpegs from both cameras, the k1 images are clearer and better micro contrast..... look at the threads in the Orange cloth swatch. Compared was the still life at 1600 ISO and 51,200 ISO. Even at 100 the K-1 appears to have better micro contrast.

I'd encourage anyone to compare images at the ISO they are most interested in. I didn't post them but I like the 100 ISO K-1 image better as well.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

It's interesting when I compare the K-p and K-3II the K-P is clearly better The accelerator chip doesn't seem to produce the same results across both cameras systems.

Just as a comparison, this is way more difference than I see between my Tamron 90 macro and my DA*60-250, where we get the same detail in both but slightly more micro contrast in the Tamron 90. My guess is, if you're a prime only guy, you might do better with a zoom on a K-1 than a prime on a K-1 mkII.

The thing with these images, they were taken on the same set with the same light with the exact same lens. There's not a lot of wiggle room looking the results to say something was unfair.

Last edited by normhead; 06-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
06-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm, are you able to locate the ISO 1600 RAW files for each camera (I can find the K-1II file, but not the equivalent K-1 file)? I'm very keen to download both the K-1 and K-1II files and play around in Darktable. My previous attempts at this using DPR's test scene brought out far more detail than the JPEGs showed and resulted in more-or-less comparable results - with the K-1 having a tiny edge on detail, and the K-1II having a tangible edge on noise...
06-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Norm, are you able to locate the ISO 1600 RAW files for each camera (I can find the K-1II file, but not the equivalent K-1 file)? I'm very keen to download both the K-1 and K-1II files and play around in Darktable. My previous attempts at this using DPR's test scene brought out far more detail than the JPEGs showed and resulted in more-or-less comparable results - with the K-1 having a tiny edge on detail, and the K-1II having a tangible edge on noise...
They must still be shooting, Plastic model has jpg and DNG files, but the still life I used doesn't have K-1 II DNG yet. They must still be shooting. OH wait, not they do.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k1-ii/pentax-k1-iiA7.HTM
06-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I first heard about the accelerator chip I tought it's an AI teached with high ISO and base ISO images and it's does something like this: Researchers use AI to brighten ultra-low light images without adding noise: Digital Photography Review, but sadly it's a simple classic noise reduction algorithm. This accelerator just forces you to a minimum amount of noise reduction, so yes it's a step back.
06-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They must still be shooting, Plastic model has jpg and DNG files, but the still life I used doesn't have K-1 II DNG yet. They must still be shooting. OH wait, not they do.

Pentax K-1 II Review - Samples
Yeah, that's where I got the K-1II RAW files from, but the K-1 page only shows JPEGs for that test image
06-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
are you able to locate the ISO 1600 RAW files for each camera (I can find the K-1II file, but not the equivalent K-1 file)
K-1 DNG files appear here:

Pentax K-1 Review - Thumbnails
06-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 II Review - Samples
Yes, and the picture is different when comparing the non-NR shots. I am going to grab the DNG and see how it looks with my processing.

Steve
06-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
K-1 DNG files appear here:

Pentax K-1 Review - Thumbnails
Perfect, thank you Downloading now... I may be some time, but once I've played around with them in Darktable, I'll come back to discuss
06-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So I've been playing with the ISO 1600 RAW files briefly...

I don't want to post any results just yet, as I'd like to do more work on them, but I think @normhead is correct. While the K-1II's RAW files look way better than the JPEGs, there's less clarity / micro-contrast compared to the K-1, and the files need sharpening to bring out the same detail, although most of that detail is still there. However, on the bright red material swatch (second one above the "Fiddler's Elbow" beer bottle), and ONLY there, there's some detail loss that I can't seem to recover at present. At 50% reproduction, it's not noticeable, but at larger reproductions, the difference is obvious.

I'll try to spend some more time with the files over the next day or two, and post results...