Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #1

pentax 43mm ltd

hi guys I seen this for £359 used and couldn't resist .anyway decided to take it to a place near were I live a garden place .I didn't realise that the infinity has a hard stop so I wasn't sure how to focus .I decided to focus to the hard stop and try f8 f11 and I thought the images were ok but not that sharp at the front part of the image ..I used to use canon and allways thought anything after f11 was soft ..rember im using pixel shift here so that makes a hugh difference to sharpness ,,anyhow I tried a test today just to see if it was user error ..I dropped my tripod the other day on concreate and the bubble level part of the head is faulty that is why my images looked a bit wonky lol..so with another tripod and head I tried to focus on the furthest away object until it seemed sharp with live view and peaking .then I tried f8 ,f11, f13, then f14 ..but them in photoshop side by side and was amazed at the f14 coming from the 43mm ltd lovely and sharp from back to front so this lend that I thought was a bit iffy is now a keeper ,,I understand why people say its a lens that needs getting used to ..love the colours and the quality build I comared it to the 35mm f2.4 and there is something about the 43mm I cant put my finger on but it just has that pixie dust and 3d effect that the 35mm didn't have ,although the 35mm was pin sharp and I mean pin sharp with pixel shift the 43mm has something special ..I will get the 31mm and 77mm next but want to see the zeiss in action

07-01-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice post

you might like looking at this thread

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com

your contributions to the thread, if you want to, will be welcomed
07-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
thx aslyfox I will do that
07-01-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 43 is an amazing lens in its own rights. I started my Limiteds with the 77, and it is considered the best of the FA Limiteds.

Nice write up on the 43, and many will agree it takes some getting use to. As a Limited, as you’ve discovered, it’s designed more as image perception than for pixel peeping.

Be sure to share some of your images!

07-01-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Play around with some different focus points besides all the way hard to infinity. There are a couple guidelines that tend to work well. One is to focus on a point about a third of the way into the image as you see it. Another similar method is to focus on a point double the distance as the closest thing you want in focus, for example, if you're shooting a field with the stone wall you'd like to be in focus as part of the scene, and it's 10 feet off, pick a spot about 20 feet away to focus on.
07-01-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Must admit I have been tempted to get a FA43 for some time now.
I get the impression that those that base the performance of the lens by pixel peeping pictures of test charts or brick walls, might be a little disappointed, however in real life use this lens delivers. A lot of it is in the colours and OOF rendering.

I might have to take the plunge myself!
07-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 43 is hands-down my favorite lens. Mine is pixel-peep sharp in the center wide open, and close-enough across the frame stopped down. The borders never catch up to the center, but I’ve decided that it is mostly because the center is so very sharp. A pretty darn sharp edge looks fuzzy in comparison, but is actually quite fine.

A WR 43 with DC motor, HD coatings and a 9 bladed round aperture would be the best lens ever

Last edited by Kozlok; 07-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.
07-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote

A WR 43 with 9 bladed round aperture would be the best lens ever
Maybe we'll see that one day. Asahiman did state we'd see a rebuild of the Limiteds. Add to what you said a nice DC motor like the 20-40 has and it would be heaven...
07-29-2018, 06:42 AM   #9

The 43 with the K-1 is a great lens. Nice and small makes it easy to carry. Very nice lens indeed!
07-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have always found the sharpest settings of the 43 LTD to be f4-f5.6.

As others have pointed out, the lens is plenty sharp, but, like the other LTD lenses that is not it's main feature. The rendering and "pop" is what marks these lenses out.

If you have not done so so already I urge you to do an Autofocus Fine Adjustment , not just with this but all your lenses. I had problems with my 31mm LTD until i discovered the fine tune. Night and day.
08-24-2018, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The 43 LTD doesn't fare well against the new 50* though.
08-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chima chinda Quote
The 43 LTD doesn't fare well against the new 50* though.
Certainly beats it in less weight, for those of us with aching shoulders.
08-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I had the da 35 2.4 and I have the fa 43. I agree with your post, it's an entirely different class in how they render. As the video above shows ~20 years is a lot in lens design and the new dfa* is great, but I for my use the fa 43 is strikes the right balance of image quality, max aperture, weight and build quality.
08-24-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As great as the D FA 50 is, there will always be a spot in my bag for the FA 43
08-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
Hi guys! I saw this for £359 used and couldn't resist.

Anyway decided to take it to a place near were I live - a garden place. I didn't realise that the infinity has a hard stop, so I wasn't sure how to focus. I decided to focus to the hard stop and try f8 and f11, and I thought the images were OK but not that sharp at the front part of the image.

I used to use Canon, and always thought anything after f11 was soft. Remember I'm using pixel shift here so that makes a huge difference to sharpness. Anyhow I tried a test today just to see if it was user error; I dropped my tripod the other day on concrete and the bubble level part of the head is faulty - that is why my images looked a bit wonky lol.

So with another tripod and head, I tried to focus on the furthest away object until it seemed sharp with live view and peaking, then I tried f8, f11, f13, then f14. I put them in photoshop side by side and was amazed at the f14 coming from the 43mm ltd lovely and sharp from back to front.

So this lens that I thought was a bit iffy is now a keeper; I understand why people say it's a lens that needs getting used to. Love the colours and the quality build. I compared it to the 35mm f2.4 and there is something about the 43mm I can't put my finger on, but it just has that pixie dust and 3d effect that the 35mm didn't have, although the 35mm was pin sharp and I mean pin sharp with pixel shift. The 43mm has something special. I will get the 31mm and 77mm next but want to see the Zeiss in action
It seems like you've learned some valuable lessons about hyperfocal shooting. Without seeing the images, I suspect you'll get even better results if you focus on something about a third of the way into the scene rather than at the back.

Enjoy your FA43! It is certainly a lovely compact lens with special (but occasionally quirky) rendering. I think you'll be even more impressed with the 31 and 77

To which Zeiss are you referring?