Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 02:23 PM - 3 Likes   #1

zeiss 28mm contax leitax converted to k-1

hi guys I decided to purchase the adapter and do the conversion myself ..spoke to david who is a great guy and replies really quick ..so I got an led light so plenty of light .I also thought why not get a small bowl of water near buy that way the dust will be attracted to the water...not for everyone that lol.anyhow I had to take the zeiss bayonet and I purchased a good quality screw driver ...must say make sure you do this as even with the good german screwdriver I lost the thread on the screw and it was very tricky to get it off ,so things so far not great ,next was a small ball bearing that come off a spring ,it needs to be put back on the spring and you have to be very very careful you don't drop it in the lens mechanism so on the tip of the screwdrive I placed a tiny bit of grease and this lifted the ball out ..later on I had to get the ball and place it on top of the spring .a bit fiddly and in davids instructions it says not to use tweezers..in the end I had no option as the ball was not easy and so small so the tweezers for me worked ..once again german tweezers ..sound crazy but I only if I can get german products that are high quality and they worked a treat ..all in all I thought it was ok but a beginner I think would struggle ....I also used a Zeiss Optics Head-Worn Visor Magnifying which made it much easier .I know the 35 70mm isn't easy to do and it is best left to a pro like david .and I agree lol....I have done some tests today and all I can say is wow ..it has that microcontrast and that pop .its better than my 43mm ltd at f8 f11 really really sharp but lovely colours ..will do more tests tomorrow and post some samples on my here then a link to fliker for all the pixel peepers out there .....I don't think I am going to need to get the pentax 31mm ltd now and the focus ring is like butter really happy with the adapter ...

thx david for all the help and now I could get addicted but those contax lenses still have something special ...will have no choice now but to get my 35 70mm zeiss contax adapted

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Pro (10.5-inch)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Pro (10.5-inch)  Photo 
07-07-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks great. Look forward to seeing sample photos!
07-07-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Zeiss looks natural on Pentax. Now we need photos to prove it.
07-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

I agree it looks right at home on the Pentax can't wait to see some pics

07-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
.....I don't think I am going to need to get the pentax 31mm ltd now and the focus ring is like butter really happy with the adapter ...
Yes, the Contax is something very special. I'm also very fortunate to also have the 31 Ltd, which came to me by way of a mistake. Was buying the 21 and was sent the 31 from a store. I called and they said they sent the serial number posted on the ad. They said to keep it unless I really wanted the 21 and they would trade. So, I still have it.

Here is a comparison between the two lenses. You can't really go wrong on either one. The Ltd does have AF.Now with the K1, I really need to use both of them more that what I have. It's almost an embarrassment of photographic riches. I do have to say the Contax mounted on the K1 looks absolutely fantastic!

07-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
hi guys had a day out to day and was really pleased with the zeiss 28mm..all appetures were superb and f8 f11 were amazing ..I will leave a ling to my fliker that way you can download the bigger files and see the detail . contax zeiss 28mm 2.8 vs pentax 43mm ltd | Flickr
ive created a album called zeiss 28mm vs pentax 43mm I understand the focal ranges are completely different but I wanted to see the colours and there has been no photoshop work straight into silkypix then converted to tiff ..I will post more images when I have the time this week ..
after looking at the images I prefer the zeiss colours but still love the 43mm ltd

this is none scientific just a test to see the different attributes each lens has .I even though the 35mm 2.4 in but to my eyes and on my screen the zeiss looks the best ..this isn't good for my bank balance ..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by andy271; 07-08-2018 at 05:56 PM.