Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 410
My only warranty work on the K-1 was the mode dial failure which was fairly common for Preorder early adopters. Warranty repair went smoothly.

07-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,409
FWIW, I have had my K-1 for 2 years and no problems whatsoever.

Having said that the only photographic related warranty claims I have ever made were with a Sigma 17-70 (fixed no problem) and a Samyang 14 (even though it was badly decentred, stated as being within tolerances - fortunately supplier gave me a credit). But those problems were found pretty much straight away and I suspect most warranty issues are found fairly early on.
07-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 169
Original Poster
Thank you all very much, I think 6 months would be enough for a refurb K1 from pentax, after all it should be more closely inspected than one of the production line.
07-12-2018, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 227
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
Hi
I'm chewing over the merits of buying a k1 or a K1 mk II.

I'm still biased towards the original K1 over the MK II from Pentax at least the option seems to be €1900 forr a new MK II with 2 year warranty and a K1 refurb for €1600 with 6 months.

Just how reliable are these cameras? So i'm interested to see how many people have had to use the warranty and how many haven't. I have never had a new Pentax and never had an issue that a warranty would have helped (only sensor cleaning to be fair).

I'm really put off by the compulsory noise reduction in the k1 mk II , like the idea of better autofocus but I manually focus most of the time anyway. The hand held pixel mode takes a lot of processing time. The higher iso range is pretty meaningless to me, the IQ is way below acceptable, it always is.

So the idea of paying out another €300 in order to get a longer warranty seems like insurance I hopefully would never need, I have a perfectly fine K5 and K200D already with no reason to believe that the K1 shouldn't be equally long lived.

I have till around the 10th of august before i need to finally decide which way to go.
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
Just how reliable are these cameras? So i'm interested to see how many people have had to use the warranty and how many haven't. I have never had a new Pentax and never had an issue that a warranty would have helped (only sensor cleaning to be fair).
I've had my K-1 for two years and not one single problem. A "drops and slops" warranty, or whatever damage coverage is best called, might be a better choice than an extended warranty and are inexpensive. I did buy one of those but haven't used it either.

07-16-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 169
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Judging by the currency, i presume you are based in EU. A quick look at a german site specialising in pentax i found the K1 at 1500€ brand new.

Here is the link: Pentax K-1 | AFA Fotohandel e.K.

I bought a KP from them as demo, but was actually new, so i am pleased with their services.

edit: sorry for not answering your question, i just wanted to make your decision a bit easier
Thank you all for your contributions, for some reason ricoh is keeping the k1 list price higher than the K1 mk II although they also have no stock of the k1 , they are offering a refurb k1 for 1600 euro with the k1 mk II available new for just 200 euro more.

From my experience with Pentax my cameras have been fault free other than normal sensor cleaning.

---------- Post added 07-16-18 at 12:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Judging by the currency, i presume you are based in EU. A quick look at a german site specialising in pentax i found the K1 at 1500€ brand new.

Here is the link: Pentax K-1 | AFA Fotohandel e.K.

I bought a KP from them as demo, but was actually new, so i am pleased with their services.

edit: sorry for not answering your question, i just wanted to make your decision a bit easier

You sent a payment of €1,458.93 EUR to AFA-Fotohandel e.K. New 12 month European Warranty

Thank You for your help , I signed up for their news letter for another 3% off
07-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Deva
Posts: 201
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
Thank you all for your contributions, for some reason ricoh is keeping the k1 list price higher than the K1 mk II although they also have no stock of the k1 , they are offering a refurb k1 for 1600 euro with the k1 mk II available new for just 200 euro more.

From my experience with Pentax my cameras have been fault free other than normal sensor cleaning.

---------- Post added 07-16-18 at 12:34 PM ----------




You sent a payment of €1,458.93 EUR to AFA-Fotohandel e.K. New 12 month European Warranty

Thank You for your help , I signed up for their news letter for another 3% off
Glad to help. You sure got a nice deal. When i posted that, it was the demo model (probably new, but sold as demo as an unoficial deal), but it seems that that's the price for it new.

Enjoy your new tool!
07-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 169
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Glad to help. You sure got a nice deal. When i posted that, it was the demo model (probably new, but sold as demo as an unoficial deal), but it seems that that's the price for it new.

Enjoy your new tool!
They said its new with a full european warranty, only possible problem the road i live on is getting closed for 2 weeks
07-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,283
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
They said its new with a full european warranty, only possible problem the road i live on is getting closed for 2 weeks
That is an unusual reason to hold off on a purchase. Hope it is still there when you get out.

07-17-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 169
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That is an unusual reason to hold off on a purchase. Hope it is still there when you get out.
Talked to one of the fellas working on the road the post should still get through, luckily DHL are in partnership with An Post (who will take the parcel once it reaches Ireland). Basically where I live a courier has little chance of finding my address, but the postie knows everyone on his round.
Currently it is still in Germany but there is a fair chance I might have it for friday
07-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,283
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
Talked to one of the fellas working on the road the post should still get through, luckily DHL are in partnership with An Post (who will take the parcel once it reaches Ireland). Basically where I live a courier has little chance of finding my address, but the postie knows everyone on his round.
Currently it is still in Germany but there is a fair chance I might have it for friday
That is good news! Except for deliveries it sounds like you live in the kind of place I love but had to give up a few years ago

Anyway I hope you have it soon.
07-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member
oxidized's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
I used to buy extended warranties for all the previous models (K-7, K-5, K-5ii) and have never needed to send it out for a repair... So I bought the K-1 around the time it was released (probably 2 years ago now). Didnt get the warranty but haven't had any issues with the camera either.
07-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #27
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 169
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I used to buy extended warranties for all the previous models (K-7, K-5, K-5ii) and have never needed to send it out for a repair... So I bought the K-1 around the time it was released (probably 2 years ago now). Didnt get the warranty but haven't had any issues with the camera either.
In theory I have a 1 year european warranty , i say theory because there is nothing stamped.
08-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 10,042
My K-1 didn't need any warranty repairs, or any repairs for that matter.

If your camera doesn't develop a fault in the first six months, chances are very high that it won't develop a fault anywhere near its end of life (-> bathtub curve).
08-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #29
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,752
I have two K-1's. The oldest is now 26 months old, and was recently upgraded to the Mark II. It has never skipped a beat despite almost daily use.

My second K-1 is the Silver Limited Edition, bought as a pre-order. It also has given no problems at all.

No extended warranty. No regrets.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, decision, demo, euro, full-frame, idea, ii, k1, k1 warranty, mk, pentax, question, services, time, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you leave Adobe? Where did you go? woodworm Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 116 07-05-2018 03:16 PM
Reluctant to purchase K1 but I did Berserker Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 03-22-2018 05:37 AM
Buying K1 in the USA - is the warranty valid in Europe Królik Repairs and Warranty Service 2 02-21-2018 11:48 AM
Did the KP actually get cheaper or did they just stop including all the grips? AyeYo Pentax KP 8 12-26-2017 11:30 AM
New K-30, did you remember the $20 2-year extended warranty? Docrwm Pentax K-30 & K-50 79 08-05-2012 03:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top