Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 02:57 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is all well and good to talk about paperless offices, but there are still an awful lot of sheets of paper printed in a paperless office. I don't see copying and printing going away any time soon -- plenty of people want a physical receipt of their transactions, even if you offer to e mail them a copy as well.

09-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
surfer you are a little tuff on EssJayEff.

The Fujifilm GFX is a quasi Medium Format 6x7 style medium format digital. Leica's S2 is similar. Hasselblad has something the same.

The only Pro push I have ever seen by Ricoh/Pentax at the PhotoPlus show in NYC has been the 645Z system. I can see a mirrorless 67 style camera but keep the 645 mount with the addition of some 645 XS lenses.
Another salvo fired in the mirrorless medium format world? What can Fuji possibly be thinking? Certainly there's no market for a camera like this!!! ;-)
09-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #78
Unregistered User

A FF K-02 built in the classic Hasselblad 500c configuration allowing it to be used in either waist level or eye level mode would be a game-changer if it had a state-of the art EVF. The EVF should be configurable to allow a variety of shooting modes- wysiwyg, depth of field, low-light compensation, etc. The eye-level use would be effected by a snap-on hood. It obviously wouldn't be a sports camera, but for studio, street and landscape photography it would be a natural.
09-11-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
A FF K-02 built in the classic Hasselblad 500c configuration allowing it to be used in either waist level or eye level mode would be a game-changer if it had a state-of the art EVF. The EVF should be configurable to allow a variety of shooting modes- wysiwyg, depth of field, low-light compensation, etc. The eye-level use would be effected by a snap-on hood. It obviously wouldn't be a sports camera, but for studio, street and landscape photography it would be a natural.
My K-1 functions as waste level finder, just flip up the back screen.

09-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #80
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My K-1 functions as waste level finder, just flip up the back screen.
That's a bigger camera with a mirror…
09-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Bigger than what?
An A7rII 657 grams. A K-1 1010. Given the difference in build quality I'd say it's pretty close to a toss up.
Price difference... 3200 to 1800. Do you want to pay $1400 fro save 350 grams? I don't.
09-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #82
Unregistered User

As I recall, the topic was Mirrorless cameras.

Pentax will have to offer something different to compete against Canon/Nikon.

09-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had occasion to photograph speakers standing at a podium during a conference last Friday and Saturday. I shot the event with my K-1 and work's Canon 5D Mark IV. I was eager to use the K-1 with Live View and focus peaking, using the flexible back screen for composition. I'd never shot an event using that technique before so I gave it a try. For composing and watching the speaker using the back screen at waist level, or even while seated with the camera above me and the screen tilted downward was a dream come true. I didn't have to hunch over and peer through the OVF, because the camera was on a tripod. With my finger at the ready on the shutter, however, the lag time between seeing the shot, tripping the shutter, and exposure resulted in missing hand gestures and facial expressions that I rarely miss through the OVF. I went back to using the OVF the traditional way and my hit rate went right back to where it usually is. Maybe my Live View technique was wrong, but it was not working in that situation.

On an unrelated (to mirrorless) note, I did settle on using the Mark IV most of the time for this occasion. I found the ease of relocating the focus point quickly using the back button designated specifically for that purpose to be extremely useful. The other reason was my older Soligor 70-210mm zoom for my K-1 was manual focus, while the Mark IV allowed me to employ an auto focus L series 70-200. The latter is a better lens, plus my aging eyes are finding manual focus getting harder and harder.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 09-11-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Changed "coping" to "composing" and "get to" to "getting"
09-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #84
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
With my finger at the ready on the shutter, however, the lag time between seeing the shot, tripping the shutter, and exposure resulted in missing hand gestures and facial expressions that I rarely miss through the OVF.
Yes, that delay is a definite problem, you might say that is the critical problem with EVFs. There are some that are faster, but it still isn't in the 20 msec range of the classic Leica Ms of the 1950s.
09-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Price difference... 3200 to 1800. Do you want to pay $1400 fro save 350 grams? I don't.
A7rII is now at $2000, almost the same as K1; the A7rIII is the one that is at $3000 but it have some major differences from the MK2 version.. One thing to consider is that now mirrorless is not only about size, its about all the techology that is currently developing around this systems.. I'm not saying one is better than the other one.. but we can't deny that this systems are moving fast.
09-11-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member

In my mind there is one issue. EVF seriously degrades in low light, especially with slower glass. OVF doesn't. That's not opinion, that's fact. At least it was 4 years ago, and I haven't heard different recently.
This is not true. EVF is better in low light as it has better gain to see in the dark much better than OVF.
09-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #87
Banned

Well read Thom Hogan.....

I See Dead Mounts | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

So unless Pentax could join in on a mount with some other companie, I would say......There is little future for another new mount.
09-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well read Thom Hogan.....

I See Dead Mounts | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

So unless Pentax could join in on a mount with some other companie, I would say......There is little future for another new mount.
Sony was the only one in a position to do mirrorless with a new mount as they didn't really have a legacy mount to begin with. It was easy for people to switch to Sony for FF mirrorless.

Nikon and Canon are trying to compete with Sony FF mirrorless with a new mount which is the wrong approach. If Ricoh/Pentax does develop FF mirrorless they should stay with K-mount with the introduction of XS K-mount lenses.

As I have posted before Ricoh/Pentax should do interchangeable viewfinders so the body can be either OVF or EVF. They should have two bodies an LXD and an MXD. The LXD positioned for Pro use and a smaller sized MXD for the mirrorless sized market. They can start with three Viewfinders. A standard OVF and EVF with a sport optic OVF. The LX had 9 viewfinders to choose from.
09-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Sony was the only one in a position to do mirrorless with a new mount as they didn't really have a legacy mount to begin with. It was easy for people to switch to Sony for FF mirrorless.

Nikon and Canon are trying to compete with Sony FF mirrorless with a new mount which is the wrong approach. If Ricoh/Pentax does develop FF mirrorless they should stay with K-mount with the introduction of XS K-mount lenses.

As I have posted before Ricoh/Pentax should do interchangeable viewfinders so the body can be either OVF or EVF. They should have two bodies an LXD and an MXD. The LXD positioned for Pro use and a smaller sized MXD for the mirrorless sized market. They can start with three Viewfinders. A standard OVF and EVF with a sport optic OVF. The LX had 9 viewfinders to choose from.
That makes at least three of us with the same idea, which possibly dooms it.

Seriously, I wholeheartedly agree with that as a model for future Pentax bodies, but if they’re going to do it (and I’m torn between thinking it’s likely or unlikely, in both cases because of Ricoh’s conservative approach to things) they would need to start soon. I don’t see many technical challenges, but then I’m not a camera designer.

People have come to the K-mount in present times because, in the main, they saw things in the K-1 that were innovative and useful. Previously, the APS-C bodies’ main attraction was the build and value proposition. In both cases, there were new and old lenses to choose from without having to think too hard about adapter issues.

Having a body or two with interchangeable viewfinders keeps the existing value proposition elements, while moving the technology forward with the opposition, but without the distraction of having to design a new range of lenses, except perhaps adding some XS mount wide-angles.

That said, I’m not holding my breath, but I’m available for a pleasant surprise.
09-13-2018, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

The market share of PENTAX is little, not following the ML rush they can become the Leica of the DSLR