Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
When you invest big money in a camera system you want to ensure that this system have a future
By future you obviously mean how easily it could be sold on the ebay? I mean, image quality will remain the same no matter what happens to the system..

02-13-2019, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't totally understand how it helps Pentaxians if pentax releases a new mirrorless camera with a new mount, even if they have an adapter for it. You are just as well in that situation to get a Sony or one of the other mirrorless options out there and get a k mount adapter for it. What extra benefit would Pentax releasing a mirrorless camera bring to bear on the situation?
02-13-2019, 04:37 AM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't totally understand how it helps Pentaxians if pentax releases a new mirrorless camera with a new mount, even if they have an adapter for it. You are just as well in that situation to get a Sony or one of the other mirrorless options out there and get a k mount adapter for it. What extra benefit would Pentax releasing a mirrorless camera bring to bear on the situation?
The advantage is that people who wouldn't buy a Pentax mirrorless anyway would feel good about that.
02-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would have the benefits of being a Pentax, with the build quality of a Pentax, and all the benefits that come from being a Pentax, such as WR and the fact that only Pentax can reliably make a full-function adapter for modern K-mount.

Realistically, if Pentax were to make a MILC, most likely it would still be a K-mount camera.

02-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sony sold 4.4 million cameras last FY but are predicted to sell only 3.6 million this one - but they've kept the profits up by concentrating on premium products only, jacking up the prices.
Yes, i think the same.. actually the reports show that in fact the people stopped buying entry level cameras dslrs or point and shoot cameras, most probably because that is the same people that can take the same picture with their cell phone, so basically the ones that are investing in camera gear are the pro market or the prosumers.. and it totally makes sense, reaching less buyers but with higher budget.

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
By future you obviously mean how easily it could be sold on the ebay? I mean, image quality will remain the same no matter what happens to the system..
Not really, by future I mean to ensure that there will be repair shops, firmware upgrades, new products that fit modern standards, new technology, etc, etc...

Last edited by kooks; 02-13-2019 at 09:42 AM.
02-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It would have the benefits of being a Pentax, with the build quality of a Pentax, and all the benefits that come from being a Pentax, such as WR and the fact that only Pentax can reliably make a full-function adapter for modern K-mount.

Realistically, if Pentax were to make a MILC, most likely it would still be a K-mount camera.
Maybe.

The whole point of mirrorless is, I guess, an EVF with all of the pluses and minuses that go with that. At least that is the case if you don't shorten the registration distance of the mount.

If you shorten the registration distance then you can technically make the camera a bit smaller and mount a bunch more lenses.

Regardless, the question is really how well Pentax matches against Canon, Nikon, and Sony in the mirrorless arena and my guess is pretty poorly.
02-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless, the question is really how well Pentax matches against Canon, Nikon, and Sony in the mirrorless arena and my guess is pretty poorly.
You can find lots of places where Pentax matches poorly against other manufacturers - for example Canon has many more EF-mount lenses than Pentax has KAF4-mount lenses.
You can find lots of places where Pentax matches well against other manufacturers - for example, Canon DSLRs use lenses made before 1985 much more awkwardly than Pentax DSLRs do.

Back when micro-processors first came out, I was teaching computers at a small college, and I would show students how many problems could be solved much faster using the processor in the Apple than the one in the Z-80 .... and vice-versa; you just have to select the right problem for benchmarks to show what you wanted.

Even Canon has very few EOS-R lenses - Pentax has much less manufacturing capacity, so this may be another challenge Pentax should avoid.

02-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #158
Pentaxian

If the Pentax K mount adapter supports open aperture metering and autofocus for lenses with builtin focus motors, it will be a good thing. Without that, there will indeed be no point to it.
02-16-2019, 04:31 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
If the Pentax K mount adapter supports open aperture metering and autofocus for lenses with builtin focus motors, it will be a good thing. Without that, there will indeed be no point to it.
Yeah.. the truth is, such adapter developed by Ricoh will be the only thing that will make such system better than a complete system change. And it will eat up a good part of the weigh gain, i.e. M/L+adapter ~ DSLR.

But this is all a fantasy. Ricoh was not able to develop a second model of its FF DSLR: the Mark II is a joke, seriously.
02-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Sort of.

At least 50 percent of my lenses would require manual focus with such an adapter. And there are third party adapters for Sony that give auto focus to k mount lenses, after a fashion, including screw driven ones.
02-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #161
Pentaxian

Mirrorless cameras meet the needs of a niche. Another niche needs traditional DSLRs. Just because mirrorless cameras are a newer technology, doesn't always mean they are better. They will never replace the traditional DSLR (at least while I'm alive). I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of mirrorless cameras. Registration distance? I don't care about the few extra millimeters offered by sacrificing a mirror to the camera gods. The weight-savings is definitely an advantage for certain activities, but I like heavy cameras with telephoto lenses for better anchoring. I always use a battery grip for additional balance and weight.

I've used several mirrorless cameras for work projects and struggled without a big, bright optical viewfinder. I'll never buy a mirrorless for my main camera. I wish Pentax would move in the opposite direction of mirrorless, and instead create a follow-up FF flagship DSLR with the largest, brightest OVF in the industry. The MX viewfinder is incredible. It'd be great if Pentax developed a modern MX-like viewfinder for the K-1 Mark II replacement.