Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Pentax K10D

Okay I have been looking at the Pentax K-1 full frame,I have the K10D also K-5D and a few film SLR's (dating myself!) any thoughts from those familiar with my Cameras. The light meter works so much better on the K-5D than the K-10, but I prefer the K10 for whatever reason...over the K-5, EXCEPT for that smidge of a detail, mostly I shoot in manual mode. Is the K-1 as awesome as I think it is??? I hope it is, but then what is the deciding difference between the K-1 and now the newer, K-1, II.

Experienced feedback is very welcome.

Thanks,
Brenda

11-02-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have shot the K20D (which was one model up from the K10D) as well as the K-5 and K-5 IIs. My daughter currently shoots a K-3 and I am now on a K-70 body. From what I've seen from friends as well as online, the K-1 will blow most of the above out of the water but most certainly the K10D. Anything that came from the K-3 and onward will come pretty close to the K-1 but the difference will still show when you look close enough.

Having said that, the K-1 is a FF body so it is not a clear progression from the APS-C line. You will have to accept the considerable cost of a system built around the K-1 as well as the bulk and weight. Choosing between the K-1 and its Mark II incarnation is probably a decision built on usability rather than pure IQ.

So K-1? Awesome goodness indeed but answer the question of FF vs. APS-C first as much will depend on that.
11-02-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K-10, K-5 and numerous film cameras (ME, K1000, Pz-1p etc). I also had a K-1 which I upgraded to K-1ii after buying a K-1ii new. Like the K-10, the K-1 and K-1ii work well in manual mode. The main impression you have with these newer models is rapid response. They have a somewhat slow high speed shutter rate until you switch them to Crop mode. Other than that they are great. Not a huge difference between the original K-1 and the K-1ii but it is noticeable. Better high ISO noise, dynamic pixel shift and better autofocus in most situations. It all depends upon whether you use those features. The difference between the K-10d and the K-1? No comparison 😀

But....... I still love shooting with my K-10 every once in a while.
11-02-2018, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BMB63 Quote
Is the K-1 as awesome as I think it is???

The K-1 is at least as big of an upgrade alongside the K-5 as the K-5 is alongside the K10D, in all areas- usability, image quality, and features.

but then what is the deciding difference between the K-1 and now the newer, K-1, II.
For most practical purposes, they are the same. However, the K-1 is starting to get harder and harder to find new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2018, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can’t speak for the K-1II, but I’ve had or have every generation of Pentax DSLR (except the K7), since the *ist DL. The K10D was my favorite, but the K5 is a great “detail” camera. The K-1 combines the great colors of the K10D with the detail of the K5, and kicks it up another few notches.

It’s the easiest of the DSLRs to manually focus in my opinion and the camera layout just makes sense, a lot like the K5 is. If you’re comparing the difference from the K10D to the K5, then yes, from the K5 to the K-1 is at least an equal if not greater jump.
11-03-2018, 01:44 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As others have pointed out, the K10D is well out of date in terms of resolution, ISO performance and speed of operation. It has developed a cult reputation because of its unique rendering style, particularly its colour rendering, that you can really only get from that 10MP CCD sensor. We've got quite a few members here on the forum who own much more recent cameras, including the K-1, but who still use the K10D when they want that indefinable CCD something.

My usual suggestion is to hang onto the K10D no matter which of the more recent cameras you decide to go for. You won't get much for your K10D if you sell it, and there will be days when you'll want to enjoy that unique rendering style again for old time's sake.
11-03-2018, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K1 / K1 II is a huge jump from your cameras. A few things that I feel you should be considering in your decision are weight, lenses and crop factor. The K-1 is much heavier than the K-5 and good full frame lenses are very heavy compared to their APS-C equivalents. Next you need to take an inventory of your current lenses to determine if you will need to purchase full frame compatible lenses. Then there is also the crop factor which can be an issue depending on what type of photography you do. APS-C is typically better for wildlife and macro because of the crop. And full frame is typically better at landscape and portraits.

I have a K-5 and K-3II and have been considering the K1 also. About 2/3’s of my lenses are full frame capable but I still would want the 15-30 and 24-70 along with the new 50 mm. This in itself is a sizable chunk of change ($5000). Another issue is l like to shoot landscape and wildlife. So I would benefit with landscape but my current camera are more than capable. After evaluating everything it turned out that it was a matter of me wanting a K-1 rather than needing one. So I will be waiting longer as what I have now is more than capable of meeting and exceeding my needs. Plus I don’t think I could afford a divorce.

11-03-2018, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Many thank you's

Wow, thank all of you for your very in depth and collateral thinking of so many areas to consider, just what I was looking for. determining whether my lenses support FF, is a biggie. I have a couple lens that are nearly 30 yrs. old, And I love that I can use them on DSLR's obviously in manual mode. I will be pulling out my little books that came with each lens to check that out. My K-5 is definitely faster that my K10, which was my first leap into digital, I will hold onto my K10' I'm sentimental that way

The lens release button...has disappeared, from my K-5, which really stinks, pretty costly point and shoot, plus my 18-55 is on it, I need to send it to Criscam.
Yep, on the nose too Steve_k, it is a want for me as well!

Again thanks all!

Brenda B

K10 image with 300 ED [IF]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-03-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #9

...And another one. I have a K10D and will like to add another body (may be a K5ii), but I keep most of my FF lenses because I shoot the occasional film and wish that I can afford in the future a K1 ("Somewhere over the rainbow...♫). For now, I only intend to add an APS-C Ultra-wide lens to my arsenal. If you can get the K1, enjoy,,, and share some of your pictures with us.

Last edited by j0n4hpk; 11-03-2018 at 07:03 PM.
11-03-2018, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I still have my K10D and I also have a K1. My K10D is a fine camera, but it does have some aspects I'm not crazy about. It only goes o 1600 ISO and I find as I shoot a lot of available light that's not enough for me. I like more filters and both my K5 and K1 have this over the K10D.

But in general the K10D does a great job between ISO 100 to 400 where I most often shoot. It has been a very good camera and still is. I'm carrying it around on a semi regular basis with the 55-300 attached...very good combo for a lot of different photography. It also works well with my 12-24.
11-05-2018, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Albums
I too also own a K10D and a K1-II. The K10D has a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to its images that's hard to put a finger on. Film like? Film-ish? Probably the best way I could describe it. The bad side is that high ISO images are terrible. It constantly underexposes by 1/3 of a stop (although mitigated if you shoot RAW). Better it underexposes than blow the highlights anyway. Focus system is just so-so but perfectly fine for static work or landscapes. The rear LCD is also sub-par by today's standards. Still, I probably won't get rid of mine. It's a good travel camera paired with the Pentax 18-135 WR lens and doesn't weigh as much as the K1-II.

The K1-II on the other hand is playing in a completely different league.
11-05-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Wow, thank all of you for your very in depth and collateral thinking of so many areas to consider, just what I was looking for. determining whether my lenses support FF, is a biggie. I have a couple lens that are nearly 30 yrs. old, And I love that I can use them on DSLR's obviously in manual mode. I will be pulling out my little books that came with each lens to check that out. My K-5 is definitely faster that my K10, which was my first leap into digital, I will hold onto my K10' I'm sentimental that way

The lens release button...has disappeared, from my K-5, which really stinks, pretty costly point and shoot, plus my 18-55 is on it, I need to send it to Criscam.
Yep, on the nose too Steve_k, it is a want for me as well!

Again thanks all!

Brenda B

K10 image with 300 ED [IF]
Nice pix, btw. One of my favourite lenses of all time, is my Pentax A 35-105 Macro zoom. It is often called the 'stack of primes'. I've had mine since 1984, when I bought it new, after reading a good review of it in an issue of the now defunct Popular Photography magazine...print edition.

I've used it with my K10d and this I find is a very nice, in fact these two...seem to me to be an almost natural combination. A heavy weight lens and with my K10D.... it still punches above it's weight class...even in this modern digital era, IMO.

BTW, another thing I really like about my K10D...is the little sealed door that has it's own lock..door knob...to get to the SD card. Never seen another camera that has this interesting feature. The detail in the development of this door I've always thought says a lot about the effort and thought that Pentax engineers put into this camera. The K10D IMO was and is an exceptional camera. Above and beyond just about any other camera I'm familiar with.
11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #13

Original Poster
Great everyone, Sure appreciate all of your input, je ne sais quoi, haha
That is pretty on target, the K5 metering is better, it focuses faster, and has much higher ISO, and if I need to be quick that's the camera I grab. I use the K10 all the rest of the time, it just feels good.
Never have had any trouble with it.

Oh and I mentioned earlier about the lens release button debacle, I mentioned CRIScam, for repair, used them years ago with my ZX-5
And now I see 1 or 2 others that look reputable, any feedback out there concerning where else I might consider sending my K5? Or is CRISCAM still the best?

Thanks Pentaxian friends😉
11-05-2018, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-5 and the K-1ii. The K-1ii is a huge step up in terms of image quality.
11-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #15

Original Poster
Nice, lesmore49, I have your same sentiments,clearly and sounds like a nice lens you bought in 84, I love my 300mm, it renders such clear photos, caveat....must use a tripod, which is fine for me, I have a bogen that I have had a long time, so a perfect trio!

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 10:18 PM ----------

Also btw K-1 owners...how does the WiFi work on the K-1? it would seem folks would run it off of a phone hotspot?

Last edited by BMB63; 11-06-2018 at 06:40 AM.