Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BMB63 Quote
Nice, lesmore49, I have your same sentiments,clearly and sounds like a nice lens you bought in 84, I love my 300mm, it renders such clear photos, caveat....must use a tripod, which is fine for me, I have a bogen that I have had a long time, so a perfect trio!

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 10:18 PM ----------

Also btw...how does the wifi work on the K-1? naturally it would seem folks would run it off of a phone hotspot?
I've had my K-1 since Feb. 2017 and I must admit, with some embarrassment that I haven't tried my wifi on the K-1 as of yet. I've found there are many features on the K-1 and quite a number that I haven't yet tried out. I'm not that skilled, in the use of the sophisticated electronic technology that this camera offers.

Your post has encouraged me to do some further exploration into the potential of my K-1.

You mentioned the use of your tripod. I have a couple...both old, but still very serviceable. I have a Leitz Tiltall that I bought back in the film days, when I was doing a fair amount of pictures with my medium format Mamiya TLR. The Leitz is quite a strong tripod and I purchased it as a rental Pentax 6 X 7 I was using, snapped the head stock of my previous lightweight tripod, due to the weight of the 6 X 7 and lens I was using at the time. The Leitz Tiltall took care of that problem.

The other tripod I have is small Minolta Table top, which is a copy of the Leica Table Top tripod. Small, strong (mostly metal) and just the thing for taking pictures in places like cathedrals, churches etc. I'd put a wide angle lens on the camera and set the table top on the floor...than activate the shutter remotely.

I've found with my K-1 that I don't use the tripods as much, as the high ISO performance is so good on this camera. I've been doing a lot of...indoor.. available light photography of our new grandson with the K-1 and my DFA 50mm F 1.4...using F stops around F 2...F 2.5, etc and ISO settings of anywhere from 1600, 3200, 6400, 12,800 and still getting very nice resolution and really not much 'noise' or grain as we used to call it...in the pictures.

I've been spoiled by the K-1's high ISO performance.

11-05-2018, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh and I mentioned earlier about the lens release button debacle, I mentioned CRIScam, for repair, used them years ago with my ZX-5
I've heard of folks using a paper clip as a temporary lens release button with ok results. Something to try until you get it fixed.
Me, I have *two* K10Ds Also a K-5 when I need higher ISO abilities, which isn't often.
11-06-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Albums
I tried the WiFi feature on the camera once. That was when I first bought it. Gimmicky feature in my opinion, plus the app is terrible. I suppose it could come in handy as a remote shutter release but that's probably all I'd ever use it for.
12-04-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix, btw. One of my favourite lenses of all time, is my Pentax A 35-105 Macro zoom. It is often called the 'stack of primes'. I've had mine since 1984, when I bought it new, after reading a good review of it in an issue of the now defunct Popular Photography magazine...print edition.

I've used it with my K10d and this I find is a very nice, in fact these two...seem to me to be an almost natural combination. A heavy weight lens and with my K10D.... it still punches above it's weight class...even in this modern digital era, IMO.

BTW, another thing I really like about my K10D...is the little sealed door that has it's own lock..door knob...to get to the SD card. Never seen another camera that has this interesting feature. The detail in the development of this door I've always thought says a lot about the effort and thought that Pentax engineers put into this camera. The K10D IMO was and is an exceptional camera. Above and beyond just about any other camera I'm familiar with.

So lesmore49,
I since the posts, have acquired a Pentax-A zoom 1: 3.5 35~105mm
And find the clarity of the glass amazingly clear, hand held, I have some beautiful images of my granddaughter in motion swinging! Have not used the tripod under it yet, I'm a fan of old school so the manual focus isn't a distraction, I do not have to refocus after zooming in or out after initial focus. Very nice.
I'm glad you brought up the lens in the previous post.
1984 was a good year��

Last edited by BMB63; 12-04-2018 at 06:35 PM.
12-04-2018, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

So lesmore49,
I since the posts, have acquired a Pentax-A zoom 1: 3.5 35~105mm
And find the clarity of the glass amazingly clear, hand held, I have some beautiful images of my granddaughter in motion swinging! Have not used the tripod under it yet, I'm a fan of old school so the manual focus isn't a distraction, I do not have to refocus after zooming in or out after initial focus. Very nice.
I'm glad you brought up the lens in the previous post.
1984 was a good year��
Congratulations, you made a good decision.

The 35-105 A Macro zoom is a great lens..moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto and a little bit of macro thrown in for good measure.

I used it on my K1000 for years, in fact it was the lens mostly on that old film camera and I've been pleased with it's performance on my digital DSLR Pentax cameras.

It's been everywhere...the UK, France and in many places in the Midwest, western states and Canadian prairie provinces, Ontario and BC. Taken pics of our kids when they were born and when they graduated, and everything in between. It has always seemed to be an excellent, reliable, durable, heavy duty lens and I'll never part with it.

I think you'll enjoy it and find it versatile.

Les
12-04-2018, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the WiFi on the K-1, I’ve used it several times doing portraits with the app. The latest version of the app seems to work good for me, as I was able to see the live view on my iPhone and grab the shot when everyone was ready.
12-07-2018, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay I have been looking at the Pentax K-1 full frame,I have the K10D also K-5D and a few film SLR's (dating myself!) any thoughts from those familiar with my Cameras. The light meter works so much better on the K-5D than the K-10, but I prefer the K10 for whatever reason...over the K-5, EXCEPT for that smidge of a detail, mostly I shoot in manual mode. Is the K-1 as awesome as I think it is??? I hope it is, but then what is the deciding difference between the K-1 and now the newer, K-1, II.

Experienced feedback is very welcome.

Thanks,
Brenda
Yes, the K1 is totally awesome.

12-08-2018, 10:20 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K10D was, and still is, a winner for Pentax. I had tried every model after the K10D, but never found a suitable upgrade until the K-1. I'd suggest selling your K-5 and keeping the K10D and a K-1.

The K-1 focuses much faster, but it's a much slower system. It's a much "smarter" camera, so it takes longer to get ready to take a photo when you power it on, and has a limited buffer. The K10D is ready immediately upon power-on.

Here's a write-up I did comparing the two cameras: Ks, 1s, and 0s - My Journey from the K1000 to the K10D to the K-1 (Lots of Photos) - PentaxForums.com
12-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #24

Original Poster
Awesome thank you for the input, I love my K10, it goes nowhere!
What do you think about the difference between the K1 and the K1-ll? I'm feeling like the K1 will be a good choice.
12-11-2018, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll be sending my K-1 in for the upgrade (I'm on the list). The main reason for this is because I want the handheld Pixel Shift capability the v.1 doesn't offer.
12-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'll be sending my K-1 in for the upgrade (I'm on the list). The main reason for this is because I want the handheld Pixel Shift capability the v.1 doesn't offer.
Yes, that is the feature that I find most interesting on my K-1ii. If I had a K-1 and the deal was still available I would also do it mainly for that. I think I see snappier AF but that may be subjective.