Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buy K-1 on sale? or wait for possible K-1 II sale? or maybe new FF next year?

So I see someone mentioned that the $1496 K-1 with a bag and grip and strap sale is temporarily back and I am about 2 seconds from pulling the trigger here (on a credit card though)

My original plan was to see what sort of black Friday or cyber Monday or whatever sales came up for the K-1 II and if they weren't super low priced I would save up (less on credit card then) and wait until next year when I got the impression that the replacement for the K-1 II is possibly due out (any confirmation?)

If they sell out on K-1's again before I decide no big loss but I am just so torn, anyone wanna tip the scales one way or another?

If I get a K-1 it will get used for astrophotography and I hear the K-1 might be better than the K-1 II in that regard due to there being no firmware option to shut the stupid accelerator doodad off (yet?).

11-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 II has already gone on sale and currently includes a free battery grip on top of the $100 rebate. Perhaps there will be another discount for the holidays, but I doubt it'll come anywhere near being as lucrative as the K-1 deal.

Also, I saw Adorama is showing the K-1 back in stock. I'd be willing to bet it's just a handful since it was previously marked as discontinued. Not going to last long.

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
due to there being no firmware option to shut the stupid accelerator doodad off (yet?)
I don't think this is something that would ever happen, since it's hardware based (and wouldn't make sense given the addition of the accelerator was a selling point).

In any case, per our review, there was no evidence of details vanishing due to the accelerator (https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-ii-review/star-eating.html).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool thanks for the info.
Now I am waffling even worse however. Syrup will soon be coming out of my ears.

The real question then would be is the sale price on the K-1 II the better deal feature wise compared to the super sale (assuming I catch it) on the original.

And was there any hints on a new FF to replace it next year either by estimated schedule or rumor?
11-16-2018, 06:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would guess there is minimal chance of a new full frame Pentax in 2019 - APS-C and medium format are far more overdue for a new model.

The K-1 will still be a brilliant camera years down the track, and the deal is incredible. Get on it.

11-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IF you are waiting for a sale, wait another week until Black Friday and Cyber Monday happens, those are probably the lowest prices you will see in 2018.
11-16-2018, 07:07 PM - 8 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I decided I couldn't pass on this sale this time around after I missed it by debating it too long the first time around. I didn't expect there were any new K-1's left for them to sell.
A K-1 bundle is on the way from Adorama along with a sandisk extreme pro 128gb card.
I decided $400 was just too big a price jump to go to the discounted K-1 II, its almost a 25% bump. I am guessing since I am moving up from an original K-5 I will never notice the difference between the two.
Good I bought a DFA 24-70F2.8 last time they went on sale for under $1000 so at least I have a lens worth the quality of the K-1.

I've been waiting on this camera since I was still shooting with a Super Program and the IstD first was announced.
I think its been long enough already.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 11-16-2018 at 07:42 PM.
11-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good I bought a DFA 24-70F2.8 last time they went on sale for under $1000 so at least I have a lens worth the quality of the K-1.
Congrats on pulling the tripgger

There are several FA-77s here on PF, combined with the K-1 it makes an incredible combo

11-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would guess there is minimal chance of a new full frame Pentax in 2019 - APS-C and medium format are far more overdue for a new model.
So, you believe asahiman was mistaken when he said Pentax is currently focusing on FF, both bodies and lenses??
11-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do expect more FF lenses next year myself, and I would assume that will be a large part of the FF focus. I actually plan to buy the 70-200 F4 when it comes out rather than the current F2.8 as I am now doubly broke and I need a decent lens to pair with the 24-70.
I can't guess on the potential for a new high end FF body next year or maybe they plan to add a 2nd tier of FF bodies to the lineup.
I guess it would depend on whether or not the K-1 II was meant to be a short term minor upgrade or was all we get because incorporating a whole new sensor or something in the next generation is taking longer than expected.

Either way it will be a $2k plus body more than likely for all of next year at least and I have neither that much money nor that much patience and thus my decision to go K-1. I would assume the K-1 II might get clearanced out around this time next year for a similar price but I am done waiting.
11-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I do expect more FF lenses next year myself, and I would assume that will be a large part of the FF focus. I actually plan to buy the 70-200 F4 when it comes out rather than the current F2.8 as I am now doubly broke and I need a decent lens to pair with the 24-70.
I can't guess on the potential for a new high end FF body next year or maybe they plan to add a 2nd tier of FF bodies to the lineup.
I guess it would depend on whether or not the K-1 II was meant to be a short term minor upgrade or was all we get because incorporating a whole new sensor or something in the next generation is taking longer than expected.

Either way it will be a $2k plus body more than likely for all of next year at least and I have neither that much money nor that much patience and thus my decision to go K-1. I would assume the K-1 II might get clearanced out around this time next year for a similar price but I am done waiting.
I wasn't questioning your decision to purchase now {which is entirely sensible} - my question was narrowly aimed at the specific statement I responded to, because right now I have a lot of respect for what @asahiman shares.
11-16-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually it was that same asahiman statement that had me wondering in the first place. I am curious to see if there is an announcement in the spring though I am not expecting it to be on sale anywhere near that soon.
11-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, you believe asahiman was mistaken when he said Pentax is currently focusing on FF, both bodies and lenses??
Not at all. But there is nothing in the above statement which suggests a new FF body will be released in 2019.
11-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just 2 1/2 years ago a K-1 was ridiculously awesome. Now we’re debating the merits of whether and when to buy one of theoretically 3 FF choices at 3 prices between now and 6 months from now. And plotting money tactics for lenses.

Buy the K-1. Use it now. Buy the 70-200/4 partly with the savings. Swap for the K-1ll (or the new one) In about a year.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 11-17-2018 at 07:01 AM.
11-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A K-1 bundle is on the way from Adorama along with a sandisk extreme pro 128gb card.
That's an excellent deal for a 36Mp full frame camera.
11-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

haha i am broke so, it will take another year at least to get my bank back where i can afford a new body, just dreaming, ian