Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Not at all. But there is nothing in the above statement which suggests a new FF body will be released in 2019.
Their focusing on FF implies to me that they won't release anything in 2019 if they don't release FF.

You may disagree - that is fine, because I don't argue opinion.

11-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
So I see someone mentioned that the $1496 K-1 with a bag and grip and strap sale is temporarily back and I am about 2 seconds from pulling the trigger here (on a credit card though)

My original plan was to see what sort of black Friday or cyber Monday or whatever sales came up for the K-1 II and if they weren't super low priced I would save up (less on credit card then) and wait until next year when I got the impression that the replacement for the K-1 II is possibly due out (any confirmation?)

If they sell out on K-1's again before I decide no big loss but I am just so torn, anyone wanna tip the scales one way or another?

If I get a K-1 it will get used for astrophotography and I hear the K-1 might be better than the K-1 II in that regard due to there being no firmware option to shut the stupid accelerator doodad off (yet?).
The K-1 is a screaming deal that you can start using now.

Don’t wait around forever to buy.

That Hell-Bound Train ? Robert Bloch
11-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My impression is that the 60-250 with minimal modification is a fairly good stand in for the future 70-200 f4. Available now... Slow focusing compared to expectations, but sharp and not vaporware.
11-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

OK, I decided I couldn't pass on this sale this time around after I missed it by debating it too long the first time around. I didn't expect there were any new K-1's left for them to sell.
A K-1 bundle is on the way from Adorama along with a sandisk extreme pro 128gb card.
I decided $400 was just too big a price jump to go to the discounted K-1 II, its almost a 25% bump. I am guessing since I am moving up from an original K-5 I will never notice the difference between the two.
Good I bought a DFA 24-70F2.8 last time they went on sale for under $1000 so at least I have a lens worth the quality of the K-1.

I've been waiting on this camera since I was still shooting with a Super Program and the IstD first was announced.
I think its been long enough already.
The K-1 (to me) is a giant, Full Frame K-5 in a number of ways. And that 24-70 will shine on it. Congrats

11-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I was debating similarly when a new batch of K-1's recently appeared in the UK (body only). After the original introductory price ended, UK prices had been all over the place (usually higher than lower), they started to drop just as the K-1ii was available but supply then ended. I bought a used 645D instead of a new K-1ii as I could justify the cost more easily. Last week I received the K-1 and my FA lenses now have their focal lengths back...

I've been waiting on this camera since I was still shooting with a Super Program and the IstD first was announced.I think its been long enough already.
Yup, I decided I'd waited long enough too.
11-18-2018, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been waiting on this camera since I was still shooting with a Super Program and the IstD first was announced.
I think its been long enough already.

Unpacking instructions:

1) When the package arrives, put on some latex surgical gloves and carefully remove the box with K1 in it.

2) Stare at the unopened box for several minutes and decide if you want to return it. WARNING!!!!!! Do not touch box or camera with bare hands at this point.

3) If you are sure you want to keep it, remove the gloves and carefully remove the camera. WARNING!!!!! You have now touched the camera and will find it impossible to return.

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a K1. Enjoy it and let the Canikony users wonder about the silly grin on your face when they see you using it.

All kidding aside once you handle it you will want it.
11-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Buy K-1 on sale? or wait for possible K-1 II sale? or maybe new FF next year?
Hit the BIN (buy it now) button, as I reckon you'll enjoy the K1 so much... you'll need to buy a new FF next year, as you'll have worn this one out, even with it's huge anticipated shutter life.

11-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to the PF marketplace, it looks like I will finally be getting a K-1 of my own. I've rented it enough times to know that I am going to love it, and get full use from it. NOw, I've been looking at an 85mm lens...
11-30-2018, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #24

I did consider getting a K1-II but the it looks like the differences between it and the original K1 aren't really things that matter to me, so went with the K1. With half the price difference I've already bought a 24-70mm F2.8 zoom and a 50mm F2.8 macro (both 2nd hand) and will probably put the rest towards one of the really wide primes.
11-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
The K-1 is a screaming deal that you can start using now.

Don’t wait around forever to buy.

That Hell-Bound Train ? Robert Bloch
That was a great story, thanks.
11-30-2018, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
That was a great story, thanks.
You are welcome.

There is a valuable lesson in the story.

Sometimes things don't get any better, seize the moment.