Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Planning to buy K1 or K1II. what to do with lenses?)

Hello pentax users,

Now im taking pictures with k5II and its time to upgrade to full frame.
Would love to stay with pentax team but have some questions about it...

I have SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL and SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 . i read that these lenses cover full frame and usable.
but is these lenses fully compatible with full frame as for example SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 ?

because when looking at official full frame lenses chart not so many usable lenses and those more expensive than canikon team.

but main main question is : is SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL and SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 fully workable on full frame mode as lenses in nikon or canon systems designed for full frame?

Last edited by Vejas; 12-04-2018 at 04:11 AM.
12-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes they should be if you disable cropping in body. Corner sharpness may not be best, but you have to judge if thatís a good trade off.
12-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They are usable and cover the full frame. But before you structure your kit like this, consider what are the weaknesses in your current kit and what you'd like to improve. Full frame for the sake of it won't do much on its own, and IMO it won't be a noticeable improvement (worth the money) unless you print large. All that resolution requires not just good lenses, but if you commonly use a tripod you may discover it's not solid enough for the k1's higher resolving power.

Specifically, are the two lenses you list the only ones you have? They're nice and sharp, but another way you could spend $1500-1800 is to maybe get a camera (maybe the KP, if the current one lacks something you need) and get a better lens. Better is not just sharpness, but also color, rendering, contrast, how accurate and fast the focusing mechanism is, flare resistance, etc.

Last edited by aaacb; 12-03-2018 at 05:23 PM.
12-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I had a K-5 and now a K-1 with various lenses, all of which are Pentax. The lens I use most often is the least expensive of the new Zoom lenses, the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Resolution on this lens is as good as the more expensive f2.8 24-70. The trade of is that it is a slower lens, so not so good for portrait etc when bokeh is a consideration. It's not as wide, but does have longer reach. Importantly it is far more portable, and perhaps that is why I use it so much. I also hear that Pentax are going to release a 70-200/4.0 which should be complimentary to the 28-105

My first new primes were the two you refer to, 35/2.4 and 50/1.8 - they are excellent value for money and quite pocketable.

If you're on a budget, there are so many legacy primes that you could snap up. The manual focus A series and autofocus FA series are my favourites, the former being quite affordable. I particularly like the A 20mm and A 28mm.

Importantly you can use all your DA lenses on the K-1 with crop mode. A few, like the DA 40 and DA70 more or less give full frame coverage.

If you want a really sharp standard lens, the D FA 50mm f2.8 macro is worth a look at. If you want a good portrait lens, the DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM is a really good with only minimal vignetting when wide open which can easily be corrected in post processing. You can see sample photos of these and most other new and legacy lenses on the Pentax K-1Laboratory. Here's a good example of what the DA* 55/1.4 is capable of It's an expensive lens new, but used they are good value for money. It's nicer to use than the FA 50/1.4 and is WR if that's important to you.

My advice in a nutshell is that you pair the K-1 (which is far less expensive than the K-1ii) with a HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR and work with the lenses you have first. Then if you want more or better primes, consider used lenses as a way to buy better for less $$$. Good luck.

12-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if the OP has looked at the In Depth Review for the K 1:

Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses
The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings. Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details, or seek advice in the lens forum.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

or has found this thread

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - Page 35 - PentaxForums.com
12-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vejas Quote
Hello pentax users,

Now im taking pictures with k5II and its time to upgrade to full frame.
Would love to stay with pentax team but have some questions about it...

I have SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL and SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 . i read that these lenses cover full frame and usable.
but is these lenses fully compatible with full frame as for example SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 ?

because when looking at official full frame lenses chart not so many usable lenses and those more expensive than canikon team.
Add the DA70 to those two if you can't afford the FA77 and you've got a complete trio of primes for walking about, Vejas!
12-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can shoot any lens in full frame mode on a K-1/K-1 II. Depending on the lens, there may not be a lens profile.

If you've decided to go full frame and money is at a premium, your two primes will be a start, but I would look at adding a lens like the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. You should be able to get it pretty reasonably and it will cover walk around needs for you till you decide if you need further lenses (of course you do, LBA never ends, does it?).
12-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
Yes they should be if you disable cropping in body. Corner sharpness may not be best, but you have to judge if thatís a good trade off.
i know that, but if buying camera for work purpose, studio, events, portrait photography thats not good )

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 04:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
They are usable and cover the full frame. But before you structure your kit like this, consider what are the weaknesses in your current kit and what you'd like to improve. Full frame for the sake of it won't do much on its own, and IMO it won't be a noticeable improvement (worth the money) unless you print large. All that resolution requires not just good lenses, but if you commonly use a tripod you may discover it's not solid enough for the k1's higher resolving power.

Specifically, are the two lenses you list the only ones you have? They're nice and sharp, but another way you could spend $1500-1800 is to maybe get a camera (maybe the KP, if the current one lacks something you need) and get a better lens. Better is not just sharpness, but also color, rendering, contrast, how accurate and fast the focusing mechanism is, flare resistance, etc.
i understand all that mainly i use camera for studio, events, portrait photography... have own studio and studio lighting,sturdy tripod... my lenses. 35mmf2.4 50mmf1.8, tamron 17-50 f2.8, samyang 85mm f1.4, some film era and russian lenses like jupiter 37a and helios 44m.
my current camera is lacks pixels and mainly incorrect autofocus, sometime wb issues. but mainly reason is autofocus

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You can shoot any lens in full frame mode on a K-1/K-1 II. Depending on the lens, there may not be a lens profile.

If you've decided to go full frame and money is at a premium, your two primes will be a start, but I would look at adding a lens like the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. You should be able to get it pretty reasonably and it will cover walk around needs for you till you decide if you need further lenses (of course you do, LBA never ends, does it?).
agree) now im using tamron 17-50 f2.8, but that does not cover full frame. Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is the sollution.

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 04:11 AM ----------

but main main question is : is SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL and SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 fully workable on full frame mode as lenses in nikon or canon systems designed for full frame?

12-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . but main main question is : is SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL and SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 fully workable on full frame mode as lenses in nikon or canon systems designed for full frame? . . .
perhaps the OP missed this info in the link I posted earlier:

" Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):

SMC Pentax-DA primes...

. . .

DA 35mm F2.4 AL: +++ (aurele ;like FA35/2.0 and no vignetting) (frank)

. . .

Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable . . . "

Read more at: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - Page 35 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-04-2018 at 04:22 AM.
12-04-2018, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You’ll find an improvement in auto focus and white balance with the K3 series, K-1 and KP over the K5 series. I did a lot of the same work you describe, going back to the K10D. Two things I found: I purchased the best lens I could afford for the work at hand. While the 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 are great lenses, especially for the money, they really aren’t the best for studio type work. There are better, albeit more expensive, lenses for that.

The second thing I found was manual focus is a great thing in studio. Having a lens with quick shift works in your favor.

I’ve shot with all the major brands at one point or another, Canon and Nikon may have a larger line of “cheap” lenses, but you get what you pay for.

The question really is, do you need the full frame K-1? The K3 and KP are more than capable.
12-04-2018, 04:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

i know that, but if buying camera for work purpose, studio, events, portrait photography thats not good )

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 04:08 AM ----------

i understand all that mainly i use camera for studio, events, portrait photography... have own studio and studio lighting,sturdy tripod... my lenses. 35mmf2.4 50mmf1.8, tamron 17-50 f2.8, samyang 85mm f1.4, some film era and russian lenses like jupiter 37a and helios 44m.
my current camera is lacks pixels and mainly incorrect autofocus, sometime wb issues. but mainly reason is autofocus

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 04:09 AM ----------

agree) now im using tamron 17-50 f2.8, but that does not cover full frame. Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is the sollution.

It seems the 35 might be, but I don't see the 50 on the list. If I had to invest in a camera system with the knowledge that I might be making a living from it shooting what you do, I probably would invest in Canon with all it's lenses and professional backup, as it is probably the logical and obvious choice. If you were to make your living from outdoor, rough and tumble type shots and landscape photography, Pentax might be great.

Only you know how much you've already invested in Pentax and if it would suite your purpose. Perhaps you can invest in Canon, and use the K5ii as backup or "special" purpose system...
12-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote

It seems the 35 might be, but I don't see the 50 on the list. If I had to invest in a camera system with the knowledge that I might be making a living from it shooting what you do, I probably would invest in Canon with all it's lenses and professional backup, as it is probably the logical and obvious choice. If you were to make your living from outdoor, rough and tumble type shots and landscape photography, Pentax might be great.

Only you know how much you've already invested in Pentax and if it would suite your purpose. Perhaps you can invest in Canon, and use the K5ii as backup or "special" purpose system...
thought about this scenario... to keep pentax system and shoot nature or backup camera. and look how long will k5 survive .
but why canon not nikon haha? many friends who was using pentax choosen nikon
12-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 50 1.8 and 35 2.4 are both full frame lenses. You will have some vignetting wide open with both and would probably benefit from using a lens hood, but they will both be fine.