Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Easier/Better way to Start Video: K - 1

Hello,

I have had my K-1 since it was released... loved shooting stills/pictures. However, one thing I liked about the K-3 is that it had a Red record button to start/stop video. Unfortunately, I find starting a video unreliable! If AF is turned-on, it has to hunt (literally the entire focus range) to find 'focus' before it is able to begin to record. Even if you turn AF off... it still has a problem activating in any reliable way. The same thing seemed to happen with my K-5.

I was wondering if there was a way to make it so that when I press the shutter, a video records from that point? Or a more reliable way to start it... have more control.

Best,

12-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Hello,

I have had my K-1 since it was released... loved shooting stills/pictures. However, one thing I liked about the K-3 is that it had a Red record button to start/stop video. Unfortunately, I find starting a video unreliable! If AF is turned-on, it has to hunt (literally the entire focus range) to find 'focus' before it is able to begin to record. Even if you turn AF off... it still has a problem activating in any reliable way. The same thing seemed to happen with my K-5.

I was wondering if there was a way to make it so that when I press the shutter, a video records from that point? Or a more reliable way to start it... have more control.

Best,
Using video mode (mode dial)?

I mapped the red button to something else... can't remember, probably focus peaking... when I do video I just rotate the dial.
12-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hello,

Best,
Set the autofocus to back button, not shutter button.

In the menu, Movie 2, Button customization. AFButton (Movie) AF2 Enable AF2

Last edited by derekkite; 12-15-2018 at 08:17 AM.
12-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really don’t understand. Mine begins to record video immediatelly when I press shutter, when I have MF and If I have AF, it will focus quite quick even in dark. Problem could be if you are using longer lens with long focusthrow(like macro) and there is lo contrast. But If I put my K-1 in MF. It will begin immediatelly. I just use that video mode switch on top of my camera..I also did try to put my camera AF mode in different setting too. I have it now at face detection mode. No problem. I use also DFA15-30 on it. And did try it with FA77. It hunts if contrast is low and you are out of focus range. But If I turn AF dial to M, it will begin immediatelly. Maybe there is something wrong with your K—1?

What was circumstances? Bright day, shadow? Indoors? What lens? Hunting is normal behaviour for K-1, that has been improved on K-1 II.among other things.
(Edit I use AF 1, and have AF with shutter, half pressed focuses, when focused I press it down->rec)

12-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Using video mode (mode dial)?
On my K-1 I flip the 'mode' on the dial (camera to video picture)... if that makes sense. I don't think there's another way to activate video (?). On my K-5 you rotate the mode dial to video, and it's a little bit more reliable to start/stop. In terms of circumstances... it does appear to be start easier during better lighting, but I think this is more because it's easier to find focus (which feels lika a requirement before a video can start). I've tried it with different lenses, and the performances is generally the same. I normally use it with a Tamron 24-70 2.8. Sigma 35 1.4, since these are normally what I have on... For more Telephoto, like Tam 70-200 2.8 (during events), it rarely starts the video. It will just search through the focusing, but never settling on a focus and never beginning... if that makes sense?

Currently with my Education Program, and I'll try these once I get a chance. Thanks to all those who give, continue to give feedback
12-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not following either. You said that "Even if you turn AF off... it still has a problem activating in any reliable way." With AF switched off, recording should start immediately (though you may not be in-focus on your desired subject). Am I missing something? There should be no hesitation in starting a recording once the shutter button is pushed as long as the camera doesn't have to focus???
12-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hello,

Best,
Check the settings to make sure you don't have something like focus priority on shutter release (body can prevent shutter activation if focus is not done).

12-16-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Check the settings to make sure you don't have something like focus priority on shutter release (body can prevent shutter activation if focus is not done).
I tried that whe I was trying to do some 'trouble shooting' did not change a thing.

---------- Post added 12-16-18 at 10:24 ----------

On my K-1 I flip the 'mode' on the dial (camera to video picture)... if that makes sense. I don't think there's another way to activate video (?). On my K-5 you rotate the mode dial to video, and it's a little bit more reliable to start/stop. In terms of circumstances... it does appear to be start easier during better lighting, but I think this is more because it's easier to find focus (which feels lika a requirement before a video can start). I've tried it with different lenses, and the performances is generally the same. I normally use it with a Tamron 24-70 2.8. Sigma 35 1.4, since these are normally what I have on... For more Telephoto, like Tam 70-200 2.8 (during events), it rarely starts the video. It will just search through the focusing, but never settling on a focus and never beginning... if that makes sense?

Currently with my Education Program, and I'll try these once I get a chance. Thanks to all those who give, continue to give feedback
I think that there is some problem with your K-1. do check that is is updated to latest firmware. I'll check my DFA*70-200 if it changes a thing. I'll actually do a little video today with it anyway.

thing to try. Set camera to M mode, switch to video. Set smallest aperture or atleast f 2.8. and shutter around 100 th of a second. Mine works well higher and lower. try it with MF and AF with focus close or exactly at bright good contrast object, both the same. And if it won't start, then there is problem with camera. Yesterday I did try with DFA 15-30, DA*55 and FA 77. I'm shooting video anyway these days for my project, so I'm happy to try it out too..

oh and I'm doing this at my workshop, which I can make dim or bright. I'll try some video out with snow(little or no contrast, same with sky ect.). if I could make my camera to hunt more to see if it will begin video, when it struggles.

Last edited by repaap; 12-16-2018 at 01:26 AM.