Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
About US $110, plus shipping, but I signed up for their mailing list, and Borrowlenses regularly has some kind of deal for reduced rental costs or free shipping, or I'd get a coupon with one rental good for my next rental. Very easy to deal with, reliable shipping, easy pick-up and return, great customer service. I haven't tried any of their competitors.
Thanks.

12-21-2018, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

LensRentals.com was ( is ?? ) running a special

rent equipment [ they carry Pentax gear ] rental must start December 24 and return after Jan 1 and you get 7 days free by using code BYE2018

thinking of renting equipment and live in the US ? - PentaxForums.com

minimum 9 day rental
12-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
LensRentals.com was ( is ?? ) running a special

rent equipment [ they carry Pentax gear ] rental must start December 24 and return after Jan 1 and you get 7 days free by using code BYE2018

thinking of renting equipment and live in the US ? - PentaxForums.com

minimum 9 day rental
Insurance plus shipping plus 9 days minus the one week discount was about $130. The $120/week doesn't include shipping/tax/insurance. What I found interesting is that the discount was only $85, my assumption being that this was due to the daily rate for 9 days being lower?
12-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Insurance plus shipping plus 9 days minus the one week discount was about $130. The $120/week doesn't include shipping/tax/insurance. What I found interesting is that the discount was only $85, my assumption being that this was due to the daily rate for 9 days being lower?
any questions, I suggest you call and ask them

yes you are charged postage and for insurance - why is that a surprise?

plus 2 day rental

the question to me is what is cheaper, not being charged for 7 days out of 9

or the cost of renting from anyone else

12-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
any questions, I suggest you call and ask them

yes you are charged postage and for insurance - why is that a surprise?

plus 2 day rental

the question to me is what is cheaper, not being charged for 7 days out of 9

or the cost of renting from anyone else
This is a strange response. I am merely reporting that the 120 mentioned is a lot more than that once the additional items are added. Also if it is $120/week and you get a week discounted it is a bit surprising that 9 days -7 is only an $85 discount not because thats the wring amount but because they obviously give a great discount on longer rent periods.
12-21-2018, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a strange response. I am merely reporting that the 120 mentioned is a lot more than that once the additional items are added. Also if it is $120/week and you get a week discounted it is a bit surprising that 9 days -7 is only an $85 discount not because thats the wring amount but because they obviously give a great discount on longer rent periods.
like I said, I know nothing more than you do,

others have seem upset that a 9 day rental with 7 free, thus a 2 day rental fee with necessary postage and insurance will cost them money

I'm sorry if I imposed my feelings on you

again, any questions please call them
12-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #22

Rent a K-1?

cameralensrentals.com also has a week free and you don’t have to rent 9 days to get seven. The deal is on their home page.

ETA 25% off is on their home page. Click on current deals to get the week free.

They have great customer service.
12-21-2018, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am stoked that we have good options for rentals. But I'm also happy I won't need to use them for now.

12-22-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am my only client. I have sold a few prints but honestly - this is entirely for me. I shoot largely landscapes but also people. I am not a wildlife photographer and I don't shoot sports. I do enjoy music and shooting bands is fun but nothing I'm paid for. I like abstract and weird stuff as well.

Realistically there is NO technical benefit I gain from a K-1 that the K-3 I have isn't adequately meeting. However the ability to shoot the FA 31 in the native formal and the low light high ISO handling of the sensor would be welcome. There is no justification for it other than fun.
The K-1 is a superb landscape camera and it's possible that you might find you like the image quality of your K-1 shots as compared to the K-3, but I emphasize possible as I've never made the actual comparison. IOW, possibly you would find some technical benefit gain, especially in very large prints.

There is very little to lose by renting one for a week and that should answer your questions. I've never regretted changing from APS C (a Canon) for landscapes and would recommend trying the rental. Please let us know what you decide.
12-22-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by allexinwonderland Quote
cameralensrentals.com also has a week free and you don’t have to rent 9 days to get seven. The deal is on their home page.

ETA 25% off is on their home page. Click on current deals to get the week free.

They have great customer service.
Camera Lens Rentals About Us

that's a company I was not aware of

I have had good results with LensRentals.com

but there is nothing wrong with more options

lower price with good or better service is always good
12-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you own an FA-77mm, you will find that in a combo with the K-1, it creates incredible portraits. ( my portrait technique is lacking, I usually use an f-stop of 4.0)
12-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Since you own an FA-77mm, you will find that in a combo with the K-1, it creates incredible portraits. ( my portrait technique is lacking, I usually use an f-stop of 4.0)
I suspect I will - but I like it a lot on APSC already. The FA 77 on APSC has a field of view a lot like the Nikon 105 f/2.5 I loved when I was shooting Nikon film cameras. The A* 85 was my main goto portrait lens on my PZ-1 and the FA 77 has a similar rendering so I will probably really like that aspect. The shorter focal length and wider angle of view will take a little getting used to but it shouldn't be harder than using a 50mm on APSC for portraits which I have done.
12-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want some ultrawide zoom flexibility, I'd be happy to loan you a Promaster 19-35 (reviews here) and/or a Pentax FA 24-90. They're literally gathering dust at home for me right now until I stop being lazy and take product pics to list for sale here.
12-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
If you want some ultrawide zoom flexibility, I'd be happy to loan you a Promaster 19-35 (reviews here) and/or a Pentax FA 24-90. They're literally gathering dust at home for me right now until I stop being lazy and take product pics to list for sale here.
Wow that is very kind of you. I will contact you in a private message.
12-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“Looking at this rationally”... or rationalizing a FF ? You have a lot of good gear already and “need” to make the change? Proportional sizes improve with FF too! Everything is bigger! :-) I have had good luck with Lensrentals.com, Fwiw.