Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Locked out of the first wave of K-1’s at one of the internet retailers, I walked into my local camera dealer’s flagship store the day-of-release with a K50/1.4 in my pocket. They had 5 K-1’s in stock. The saleswoman ((the Assistant Store Manager) brought one out from the back and unpacked it as if to demonstrate it to me, but I took it out of her hands, put the battery in (it was partially charged), mounted the K50, turned it on, set the IBIS and focused on a rack of camera bags.

Before I even released the shutter I knew K-1 is a perfect camera. It fits my hands. The OVF is large enough and bright enough to focus manually. It balances perfectly. The controls are in the right places. It has so many thoughtful little details. And the image files are lucious. After a brief discussion about Pentax people (who else would bring a 40 year old manual lens to test on a a dSLR before buying) and a bit of haggling (she gave me a bag full of Bower stuff and 64Mb SD cards) I bought the DFA 28~105 to go with it.

I write this as a warning to you from hard, personal experience. It is highly likely if you try it, you will buy it - so prepare yourself. You have enough lenses that you can sell $1,500 worth of them and you will be tempted. Decide what you can let go of before you rent a K-1.

I immediately sold my K-3. All the little issues I never really cared about were glaringly obvious compared to the K-1. I don’t miss the K-3 at all.

I’m not even half kidding.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.
12-22-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Locked out of the first wave of K-1’s at one of the internet retailers, I walked into my local camera dealer’s flagship store the day-of-release with a K50/1.4 in my pocket. They had 5 K-1’s in stock. The saleswoman ((the Assistant Store Manager) brought one out from the back and unpacked it as if to demonstrate it to me, but I took it out of her hands, put the battery in (it was partially charged), mounted the K50, picked it up, set the IBIS and focused on a rack of camera bags.

Before I even released the shutter I knew it K-1 a perfect camera. It fits my hands. The controls are in the right places. It has so many thoughtful little details. And the image files are lucious. After a brief discussion about Pentax people (who else would bring a 40 year old manual lens to test on a a dSLR before buying) and a bit of haggling (she gave me a bag full of Bower stuff and 64Mb SD cards) I bought the DFA 28~105 to go with it.

I write this as a to warn you from hard, personal experience. It is highly likely if you try it, you will buy it - just prepare yourself. You have enough lenses that you can sell $1,500 worth of them and you will be tempted. Decide what you can let go of before you rent a K-1.

I immediately sold my K-3. All the little issues I never really cared about were glaringly obvious compared to the K-1. I don’t miss the K-3 at all.
Thank you. That warning is very convincing.
12-22-2018, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Definitely get a K-1ii! Get two!

I've heard the 645z is pretty fun too!
It appears you've been talking to me

Seriously Brad, have a play with a K-1. The FA31 is excuse enough.
12-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It appears you've been talking to me

Seriously Brad, have a play with a K-1. The FA31 is excuse enough.
Thank you Sandy.

12-23-2018, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only had my K-1 a short time, but the pictures it makes (when I use it properly) are so amazing, and it feels like a gateway drug to a 645z. I can hold off on that temptation for a few more years, though.
12-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

With your lens lineup and thoughts on it, I really think you'll want to keep it.

That said you did mention K-3 and m4/3 stuff. Those are all much lighter in weight than the K-1 and a big DFA. So be prepared for that.

I was almost enamored with my K-1 when I first got it. Huge resolution and strong depth of field from using a full frame sensor wowed me. But, over the course of six months, I became more and more unhappy with it. Between the weight of the system, the OVF overlay and AF system, lack of new lenses, slow frame rate, and fairly small buffer it wasn't for me. The thrill was gone. It almost killed my love of photography as a whole. Partly because I wanted to stick strictly with Pentax K cameras and there wasn't anywhere else (up) to go.

I think the one brand camera system only can be pretty harmful thinking these days.. I've come to realize it isn't about being a brand zealot, but just enjoying the art of photography. It can include some Pentax gear along with others. Nothing wrong with that. If I were in your situation, I'd probably keep the K-3 and the m4/3 stuff while also adopting a K-1 into the fold (if possible). Three totally different systems for different uses maybe?

I definitely wouldn't take the beastly (in size and weight) K-1 around a long walk. I'd rather the K-3 or m4/3 gear for that!
12-23-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do decide you like the K-1 and want one of your own, it seems that more than a few used models are becoming easily available here on PF. I think you'll have time to decide.

There are some people who don't want a K-1, due to weight, even due to a preference for the DA series of lenses, or even the crop factor.

It will be interesting to see how much I use my K-5 once I have the K-1 available full time

12-23-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The thrill was gone. It almost killed my love of photography as a whole.
If the love of photography is dependent on your camera, I would humbly suggest it's already dead.
12-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

If the love of photography is dependent on your camera, I would humbly suggest it's already dead.

When the camera continually gets in the way, I'd say it really saps the enjoyment of shooting.
12-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There were some YouTube videos about leaving full frame that had the same view. Loss of enjoyment due to equipment. But I do see your point too. My thinking is that if you don't like your gear you change it. But be sure you aren't chasing performance and the issue with the gear is really an issue you can't work around.
12-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There were some YouTube videos about leaving full frame that had the same view. Loss of enjoyment due to equipment. But I do see your point too. My thinking is that if you don't like your gear you change it. But be sure you aren't chasing performance and the issue with the gear is really an issue you can't work around.
ehh.. I find performance matters greatly. If your gear is having trouble locking on to moving targets and keeping that lock, it could be frustrating. Buffer not deep enough, buffer slow to dump to card, camera focuses on wrong object, those could be frustrating too. If your gear is too heavy to sustain carrying for hours, it can be unaccommodating. If your gear just doesn't sit well, it can be uninspiring.. etc etc and all hypothetical.

But, yes, this can be rectified easily these days with so many wonderful types of camera systems around. The key there is to find the right type of gear for the right circumstances. Which is why I think it is perfectly acceptable to run multiple systems under multiple brands.

I think the bigger issue, with Sandy's comments, is assumptions can be dangerous. Because there are so many pieces of the story that aren't present to come to an accurate conclusion to a person's particular situation. How he approaches photography could be different than I approach photography that is different from how you approach photography. And none of them are incorrect.
12-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget to come back and let us all know how you got on with the K1 once you've tried it. We'd love to hear your thoughts on it. 👍👍👍
12-24-2018, 06:51 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
Don't forget to come back and let us all know how you got on with the K1 once you've tried it. We'd love to hear your thoughts on it. 👍👍👍
I will. I suspect I'll be very pleased with it for a lot of my tasks. Last night for example I went to our town hall and took Christmas tree light shots. The extra width available would have allowed me more options with the fa 31.
12-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I will. I suspect I'll be very pleased with it for a lot of my tasks....
Just want to mention that I've been lurking on this thread and am interested in your experience as well. I've been teetering on the edge of a K-1 purchase for some time, partly because of owning an FA31 and A*85 and being curious about how those would perform at their intended field of view. There's also a too-neglected K50/1.2 which would probably be quite a bit more interesting on full frame.
12-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Just want to mention that I've been lurking on this thread and am interested in your experience as well. I've been teetering on the edge of a K-1 purchase for some time, partly because of owning an FA31 and A*85 and being curious about how those would perform at their intended field of view. There's also a too-neglected K50/1.2 which would probably be quite a bit more interesting on full frame.

Generally, the K-1 makes the most of good quality vintage 35mm-era lenses. I suggest you rent a K-1, you can usually commit to as short a rental period as three days for a low price.