Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rent a K-1?

I'm a ways from being able to justify a K-1. I currently use the K-3 I bought a long time ago and still enjoy it and feel there is a lot left to learn and improve on with this body. HOWEVER... I still get the itch to look at a K-1.

I was thinking of renting one and wondered if this was a rational thing to do or if I will fall madly in love with it and be sad when I have to send it back.

My current FF or semi-FF lenses are:

Prime:
FA 31
FA 35 (works like an M series lens due to internal damage to pcb)
DA 40
A 50 f/1.7
M 50 f/2
F 50 1.7
FA 50 1.4
DA 70
FA 77
DFA 100
Takumar Bayonet 135 f2.5
DA 200
FA 300 4.5

Zoom:
FA 28-200 (badly wobbly)
FA 70-200
DA 60-250 (I have a FF friendly baffle to replace inside but haven't tackled that yet.)

Limited range use from what I understand:
DA 12-24
DA 20-40
DA 55-300

Lenses that are crop only:
DA 15 (Square Crop may be fun on this)
DA 16-50
DA 18-50
DA 18-135
DA 50-135
Rokinon 8mm FE (non removable hood)

Looking at this rationally - I think I have everything well covered in primes except for extreme wide angle use. I have some limited utility I can get from my 12-24 and 20-40 to go wider than the FA 31 for the rental period. If I were buying I would likely need to get the 28-105 to replace the 18-135 (Wish they made a high quality 28-200 for that!)

The idea would be to use the camera for about a week and try out various lenses and combinations of carry gear out of my existing items. This would presumably help me decide if I want to sell some gear and buy a K-1.

I should also mention that I also shoot m43 and some fixed lens gear so if i went this route it would be moving my top gear to a larger sensor and volume. But I would still have the m43 gear for when I need a lighter camera - at least that's one option. The alternative would be to ditch m43 and just use APSC and FF Pentax.

I have a good tripod or two, the AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ and AF200FG as well as a Cactus RF60 (and cactus triggers).

12-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For me, to justify a new camera/lens, it comes down to what I need it to shoot.

What are you looking to get outta the new equipment? Who's your clientele? What aren't you getting out of your K-3 that you need a K-1 to shoot?
12-21-2018, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
For me, to justify a new camera/lens, it comes down to what I need it to shoot.

What are you looking to get outta the new equipment? Who's your clientele?
I am my only client. I have sold a few prints but honestly - this is entirely for me. I shoot largely landscapes but also people. I am not a wildlife photographer and I don't shoot sports. I do enjoy music and shooting bands is fun but nothing I'm paid for. I like abstract and weird stuff as well.

Realistically there is NO technical benefit I gain from a K-1 that the K-3 I have isn't adequately meeting. However the ability to shoot the FA 31 in the native formal and the low light high ISO handling of the sensor would be welcome. There is no justification for it other than fun.
12-21-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beware, it's very hard to go back to a k3 after using a k1. I tried and failed.
K3 is a great camera, not a lot wrong with it at all, but the k1, is savage.
Ff images for me just have something else.
😁😁😁

12-21-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There is no justification for it other than fun.
Definitely get a K-1ii! Get two!

I've heard the 645z is pretty fun too!
12-21-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With that nice collection of Full frame lenses I would give it a try. I bought the K-1 just use my film era FF lenses. Loved it. Then bought the K-1ii so I would have a two body full frame kit just like the old film days. Then I updated my K-1 to a second K-1ii :-). Still use my K-3 though and value the high resolution crop sensor for telephoto applications. I think you will get hooked but you will lose no love for the K-3!
12-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming you can afford it, I don't think you need to justify purchasing new gear other than that you want to shoot with it. Particularly if you buy gently used gear, you can always flip it with minimal loss if you don't happen to like it. At the same time, having purchased a K-1 I shoot significantly less with my K3 than before.

So, I guess my advice is to go for it.

12-21-2018, 01:39 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

12-21-2018, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well the answer appears to be... No. But it is for an unexpected reason. A member has graciously offered to loan a K-1. I am gobsmacked by the generous offer and have started working out the details.
12-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Well the answer appears to be... No. But it is for an unexpected reason. A member has graciously offered to loan a K-1. I am gobsmacked by the generous offer and have started working out the details.
PF Members are pretty good folks. Just remember which road is paved with good intentions......
12-21-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A loaner is even nicer than a rental!
FWIW, I had rented a K-1 for 7 - 10 days from borrowlenses.com about 5 times since the K-1 debuted, usually for special occasions. I felt that renting really made me use the camera and try out a lot of features, it also satisfied my needs within that period. I really think that renting expensive gear is money well spent, I've rented a few things for a week that would collect dust during the other 51 weeks of the year if I owned them.

I won't be renting any longer now that used K-1s are on PF and elsewhere at a price that I am willing to pay, a Christmas present to myself.
12-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
A loaner is even nicer than a rental!
FWIW, I had rented a K-1 for 7 - 10 days from borrowlenses.com about 5 times since the K-1 debuted, usually for special occasions. I felt that renting really made me use the camera and try out a lot of features, it also satisfied my needs within that period. I really think that renting expensive gear is money well spent, I've rented a few things for a week that would collect dust during the other 51 weeks of the year if I owned them.

I won't be renting any longer now that used K-1s are on PF and elsewhere at a price that I am willing to pay, a Christmas present to myself.
I've always wondered, what does it cost all-in for a weeks rental on a camera like the K-1?
12-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not hire one - as there are some disadvantages of the K-1 too - apart from cost, slower frame rate, heavier weight and a little bigger.

For me, when I got my K-1, I was intending to keep my K-5 around as a second body but in reality in over 2 years I have not taken the K-5 out of its box! I immediately fell in love with the feel (not to mention IQ) of my K-1 as it fits my hands pretty much perfectly.

I do occasionally use my K-01 though when travelling very light and surprisingly I"m never disappointed with the results.
12-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've always wondered, what does it cost all-in for a weeks rental on a camera like the K-1?
About US $110, plus shipping, but I signed up for their mailing list, and Borrowlenses regularly has some kind of deal for reduced rental costs or free shipping, or I'd get a coupon with one rental good for my next rental. Very easy to deal with, reliable shipping, easy pick-up and return, great customer service. I haven't tried any of their competitors.
12-21-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
About US $110, plus shipping, but I signed up for their mailing list, and Borrowlenses regularly has some kind of deal for reduced rental costs or free shipping, or I'd get a coupon with one rental good for my next rental. Very easy to deal with, reliable shipping, easy pick-up and return, great customer service. I haven't tried any of their competitors.
And for an extra $10 Dolla Bill y'all, you can rent the K1-II (when using lensrentals)