Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
Okay. It's quite simple.

Some of our customers are trading companies, we design the advertising materials including the staged object photography and the simple product photos. For that we have one large studio with two full equipped "sets" and a smaller one for simple table-top photography.

We use eight Profoto D1 and B1 comapct flashes. They are robust and easy to use. I prefer Profoto because the flash bulbs are recessed and can't be broken when changing the light shapers. Especially the B1 battery driven flashes without any cables are very pleasant. The flashes are triggered in groups with the simple AirRemote transmitters without TTL.

Table-top photography is done by a simple and cheap Panasonic G-6 Micro-Four-Thirds camera, a very small camera on a big column stand. A bit antiquated but best suited for this job because it offers simple WLAN connectivity to our SMB share as a network client without any additional equiment. The 16 MP resolution is by far enough for small printed pictures, the optical quality of the Panasonic mFT-lenses 14-45 and 45-200 is legendary: the camera corrects CAs, distortion and vignetting at RAW level perfectly. A second G-6 ist waiting in the box for the day the older one is broken ...

Two, sometimes three of the K-1 are used in the other studio on another column stands and tripods. I prefer the very rigid and nevertheless very light Rollei Alpha and Alpha XL over the classic "bombproof" Manfrotto 161 metal tripod with spider. Mostly we use 3-way-heads like the Manfrotto 405 or the simplier MHXPRO.

The cameras are connected to an iMac by USB 2.0 cabling with one ore two active extension cables from Tether Tools. Be aware of the USB standard, USB 3.0 cables doesn't work properly!

The most used lenses are the D-FA* 50/1.4 and the D-FA 28-105 or D-FA 24-70 for advertising production. For special effects we love the Laowa 105 STF and Samyang 135/2 optics, real cream machines. The photos are focussed manually and the new option to adjust the focus by remote control by ImageTransmitter 2 is really great! Focus stacking get's simple and accurate repeatable.

Some times we portrait children for the advertisings or make step-by-step-instructions showing with working hands for a magazine, then the D-FA* 70-200 shows it's great potential. People shootings are mostly done without tethering, the USB connection ist too slow.

Some time we've tried to use the Pentax power adaptor for the cameras, but a second cable doesn't make things easier. So we have to change the batteries after a few hours of work. Because of the tripod we use the Battery Grip on each camera for undisturbed access to the battery.

The iMac runs Pentax' ImageTransmitter 2 to receive the JPG and DNG files. It takes about 20 seconds to transmit one JPG and the corresponding DNG file.

We tested Lighroom with the Tethered Capture Plugin for Lightroom, but it doesn't fit to our needs. Usually we take one photo, then place the cameras JPG directly into the advertising material, study the result for possible improvement and show the complete page as PDF to our customers. This process needs a few hours up to three days per photo, many people want to see their opinion considered ...

When the OK is received we check the final shot for optimum sharpness, dust and dirt on the set etc. and develop the DNG file simply by Adobe Camera RAW. The powerful organizing workflows of Lightroom and Capture One aren't helpful for us, so we stick to this "primitive" way.

Fortunately we can use our old Adobe Creative Suite 6 licences till today because of the ingenius DNG file format. Nice, nice! This saves a lot of money every month because of our 8 licenses ... I'm not amused about the new Adobe licence policy.

Since ImageTransmitter 2 can only connect to one camera at a time we have to switch off the other camera(s), luckily they can remain connected to USB. Luckily that's no problem because of the mostly slow, often delayed working process.
Thank you, especially concerning the actual tethering setup. At home I am PC, but at work in the photo lab it's Mac. Interesting that you used the Pentax product, and not Lightroom. I understand your reasons. Your comment on how long the transfers take was very helpful, as was the USB 3.0 warning.

On another topic, my eldest daughter and her husband now live in Vienna. They love it, although it is drier and warmer than they expected.

03-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #197
Forum Member

Thank you for your answer.

And yes, Vienna is a good place to live, just as Austria is generally an island of the blessed. My company is based in south vienna: graphics, photography, professional digital printing and book binding.
03-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
Thank you for your answer.

And yes, Vienna is a good place to live, just as Austria is generally an island of the blessed. My company is based in south vienna: graphics, photography, professional digital printing and book binding.
PM me with your company's info---my son in law is doing a fellowship at a lab associated with the medical university, and my daughter is working on her PhD in public health, also at the university. Both are possibly (possibly not...) in positions to refer your company's name for services.