Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #31

Original Poster
It"s great to read all your personal choices you have made!

My personal preference is primes. I have used a 35mm for years as my main lens but sometimes this wasn't wide enough. Later I shot with the 24mm for some years and after a while I found this lens was too wide.. For me the Pentax 31mm limited is right on that spot I wanted! I still do love the focal length.
But.. what I dislike is the loud motor and the slightly bad focus on darker moments. For personal use this is no big deal but I found it unpleasing at some jobs. These (occasional) jobs do make me doubt to go for a more modern zoom but I'm not sure yet. It could make me more flexible without the need of hiring some equipment.

I was surprised by the praising of the 28-105mm. As an ex Canon user this lens didn't sound like it was worth considering.

For the moment my choice will go between the 28-105 (price/quality) , 24 -70 (wider, bigger apperture - but I have read bad stories about the chromatic aberration) or that lovely 77mm limited (because image quality..).

Ideal was a zoom and a prime but that won't be for this year...

02-11-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a thread of broad interest.
It's enlightening to see which FLs people have filled their FF camera needs.
I had the 3 amigos (31, 43, 77) for a long time, about 10 years now. They are significantly wider on the K-1 and give them quite a bigger perspective. That alone is a good reason to go FF.
I was also fortunate enough to have other FF lenses ready to go: Sigma 15/2.8 FE, FA 20/2.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 for zoom needs.
Occasionally I will give the Sigma 400/5.6 a go for birding.
Focusing on all of these lenses is excellent. Sure, not the fastest, but accurate and reliable.
I haven't had the need to go to the DFA zooms as we don't have many situations where WR capability is necessary (we're in drought, and we don't get snow).
I added the Rokinon 14/2.8 for a rectilinear UWA option, and this has impressed me. Just a touch of colour and contrast adjustments and the images from this lens is great for landscape and other ultra-wide situations.
I would probably use FA 20, 31 and 43 for video.
02-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is a thread of broad interest.
It's enlightening to see which FLs people have filled their FF camera needs.
I had the 3 amigos (31, 43, 77) for a long time, about 10 years now. They are significantly wider on the K-1 and give them quite a bigger perspective. That alone is a good reason to go FF.
I was also fortunate enough to have other FF lenses ready to go: Sigma 15/2.8 FE, FA 20/2.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 for zoom needs.
Occasionally I will give the Sigma 400/5.6 a go for birding.
Focusing on all of these lenses is excellent. Sure, not the fastest, but accurate and reliable.
I haven't had the need to go to the DFA zooms as we don't have many situations where WR capability is necessary (we're in drought, and we don't get snow).
I added the Rokinon 14/2.8 for a rectilinear UWA option, and this has impressed me. Just a touch of colour and contrast adjustments and the images from this lens is great for landscape and other ultra-wide situations.
I would probably use FA 20, 31 and 43 for video.
I practically had to force Tess to put that Rokinon 14 2.8 on her K-5 the other day. She was totally impressed.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 08:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Seeck Quote
I was surprised by the praising of the 28-105mm. As an ex Canon user this lens didn't sound like it was worth considering.
Was so annoyed this lens wasn't 24-105 like the Canon I resisted buying it. In hindsight that was totally mistake. Tess also steals that lens whenever she can. I mention this because she's much more discriminating about the quality of lens used than I am. I can enjoy an image taken with a mid level lens. She doesn't seem to be able to do that.
02-11-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
On the other hand, if you were in Townsville, ...

02-12-2019, 12:27 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
On the other hand, if you were in Townsville, ...

I’d get a dingy.

02-12-2019, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let me chime in:

Walkaround:

DFA 28-105 : my main zoom, WR, seems reliable so far (replaces my beloved but APS-C 16-85)

FA 43mm Limited : wonderfully versatile, compact, superb IQ. My most used prime

Wide:

FA 20-35mm F4 : beautiful starbursts, convenient short zoom, small package, somewhat soft corners, not as punchy as the DA21 it replaced but more versatile

Tele primes:

FA 77mm Limited : my favourite lens, I create reasons to use it. If only it was WR.

DFA 100mm macro WR : my macro lens. Doesn't see a lot of use, but super lens in its own right. Close to the 77, but focuses much more slowly.

Tele Zooms:

DA* 60-250mm F4, modified for full frame: an amazing zoom, well-regarded but even better than its reputation. My favourite zoom, mostly lives on my camera in summer

Vivitar 120-600mm F5.6-F8 : a ludicrous range on this old manual lens. Mine has problems focusing at infinity, the throw isn't lone enough. It could cost me 150$ CAD to get it adjusted, not sure I want to spend that kind of money on this lens. It's sad because it can perform pretty well

Odds and ends: FA50, will be sold soon, M50, not worth selling so I'll keep it as a manual teaching tool for my kids when they grow older, Takumar bayonet 70-210 zoom: never used, gathers dust
02-12-2019, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
...there are lots of aficionados of legacy lenses (...old SMC Pentax...)*. Pentax cameras work brilliantly with old manual glass#.
I'm guilty of that charge*, and can corroborate that fact#.

02-12-2019, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

modern lenses - 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8
older 77 Ltd, 43 Ltd , 31 Ltd
older still FA 400/5.6
oldest F 100/2.8 macro.

Those accoint for 99% of my shots with the K-1, with the most going to the 24-70 & 70-200 for landscape, the 31mmLtd for street and carry-round, and the 10omm for macro.
02-12-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm guilty of that charge*, and can corroborate that fact#.
Love that clickbaity footer of yours, JC!
02-13-2019, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a series of lenses. I too bought a K-1, coming from my K-5 APS-C kit, which I will say that I wish I would have known prior to switching to FFrame... what it took to make it work. I knew that there were only some lenses that wouldn't work, BUT I didn't think about the fact that I would have to overhaul my entire lineup.

DA 50 1.8 ($90):
The only real hold-over from the APS-C kit. It does cover the entire K-1 sensor without any vignette (or its barely visible). This is great because of how affordable this glass is, at the quality that it is. The only thing I don't like about this lens is that it doesn't have any 'manual' controls (ex: controlling F-stop) and how plastic-y it is. Sadly, this lens rarely comes off the shelf due to a couple of lenses that fill this place.

FA 28-105 kit lens ($350)

I think this lens is amazingly sharp. It's a bit unfair to compare it to other kit lenses. This lens mostly comes out during the day-time when I need something versatile or need something more weather resistant. This was my first lens for the camera, and I really love the focal range. It's as good as any other lens, provided that you don't need the light. Best walk-around lens!

Tamron 28-70 2.8 ($320):
This lens was my workhorse lens for a pretty long time. This lens is really great for anyone looking for something in that mid-focal range, with constant aperture. Mine has gone through a lot. I shoot a lot of pictures for/at my school, and once a student opens up my bag, and it fell out and hit at the filter thread. It still works, but it slowly cracked at the filter thread so it literally has the initial element on the end. One thing I didn't know about this lens that I don't thing people mention, is that you can't put the lens hood on without it showing up in pictures. This lens was replaced a month or so ago.

Pentax DFA 24-70 2.8 ($600):
The newest addition, purchased from a forum user at super affordable price. This lens is great! I don't think I feel like the quality is mind-blowing in comparison with the above. I think the above lens is more than enough. There are two things to know about this lens: 1) This lens is really quiet. It's really great to use, and a lot of time you forget that it works; 2) This lens is massive! It has a 82mm thread and is bigger than the actual camera, which is impressive for a camera that is already big.

Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 DG EX ($375):
This lens I got back 3 years or so ago. I initially got this because I wanted something UWide, and I was also starting to explore using the 35mm focal length, so it helped dip my toes into this. Used to get into Astro, but it doesn't have as fast of f-stop as you'd like. It's important to note that there are two versions of this lens. You know the real difference due to the Filter thread: DG (82mm) vs non (77mm).

Sigma 35 1.4 Art ($600):
Of course, the above lens didn't stop me from eventually getting this lens. Although the f/2.8 is great, I wanted something that gave even better separation... and when a forum member had it for a lower price, it seemed nice. This lens is a tank, and a tribute to the build quality. I can truly tell you that this is easily the greatest lens I've ever used!!! The separation, focus speed, ability in low light. It is amazing. I feel that it is difficult to take a bad photo. It is hard to take this lens off your camera. I believe that they rated this lens is the #1 Astro lens. Most lens use pretty much stopped (unless on event, where zooms are helpful).

Tamron 90mm 2.8 ($275):
I really like this lens for portraiture. The quality is pretty good, and it provides 1:1 Macro work. The filter thread is really weird, and the glass is pretty deep inside the lens. it also has a limiter on the focusing... so if you are having a problem with focusing, switch it to Limit... and it pretty much goes away. It does lead to a much shallower throw.

Tamron 70-200 2.8 ($425)... RIP:
This lens is super amazing! I've never used the DFA lens, but his lens has so much quality to it. Its lighter than the other lenses at the range. it does have a weird AF/MF clutch to it, but I rarely use it anyways... but it does focus/zoom all internally (is weird if you've never experienced). Sadly, this lens RIPed when a student slammed their backpack on the a desk, and my life went in slow motion as it smacked against the grown (leading to a bend in the neck)

Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II ($425):
This one I haven't actually used. Purchased this from a forum member quickly after the RIP above. I don't know if it is just his copy, but it needs to be sent into SIGMA to get serviced... which has a limited supply (is currently being serviced). When not, this lens freezes your entire K-1. I do feel like I was a bit scammed, as within 2-days the forum member told me 'all sales are final' ... and said that it worked perfectly on his K-3. I just recently got a K-3 at an amazing price, and the lens itself has some problems. Just saying

Sigma 170-500 5-6.3 ($375):
I initially got this to use during birding and for Super-telephoto use. This lens is fine, but clunky. The AF isn't fast enough, and doesn't find sharpness quickly. I've only used it trying to shoot sports, so though it does struggle in sports... it does have great quality in non-fast environments. I've used this very rarely, as I normally just use the 70-200 in most cases.

That's pretty much the current lineup, and I feel that it's pretty complete for most situations you might come across. I really can't think of something to add to it (??). People on websites always knock Pentax lens lineup... but I can't disagree more! For roughly ~$2000 (if I hadn't duplicated), I have a lens lineup that helps any situation.

For those curious:
My old APS-C kit consisted of: Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 18-250 3.5-6.3, Sigma 28-80 + 70-300 (prior to getting the 18-250). After failing to find anyone to buy this gear, I ended up giving it (w/bag) to a student's family that I work with [I'm a teacher]
02-14-2019, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #41
Unregistered User

If I could only have one lens, it would be the D FA 24-70 mm f/2.8. Mide wide-angle to mild telephoto, covering the range categorized as "normal" (around 50mm). Not too heavy to walk around with or shoot hand-held, quick focus, and pretty sharp resolution of images. I probably use that one more than any other.
02-14-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Not too heavy to walk around with or shoot hand-held,
There in lies the differences in opinion. My favourite walk around lens of all time was me 21 ltd. or 40XS on my K-01. I have a couple jacket pockets that those fit into. No need for even a camera bag. My walking around often involves other activities besides taking pictures.
02-14-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually shoot landscape and architecture with my K-1. Of course, there's the usual category of 'other' photos - family, casual travel, etc., but I normally use my KP for those pictures

Back in the film days, I relied on a three lens kit for both my 35mm and 645 cameras:
  • Wide (in 35mm that was a Pentax M 28/3.5; with my 645 it was the equivalent of a 30mm or so)
  • Normal (in 35mm that was a Pentax A 50/1.7; with my 645 it was a 45mm equivalent)
  • Long (in 35mm that was a Pentax K 85/1.8; with my 645 it was a 110mm equivalent)
I also carried a macro lens with my 35mm kit:
  • Tamron 90/2.5 macro
I also had a Pentax A 135/2.8 and a Tamron 300/5.6 that I'd trot out as the occasion demanded.

I find that I still mentally visualize and compose my photos using the wide/normal/long trio. Ergo, my K-1 kit is much the same as my old film kits:
  • Wide (FA 31/1.8 Limited)
  • Normal (FA 43/1.9 Limited)
  • Long (FA 77/1.8 Limited and/or the K 85/1.8 as my mood dictates)
  • Macro (A newer manual focus Tamron macro - a 72B 90/2.8)
I've also recently added a Pentax A 24/2.8 - see below

I still have my old 35mm lens kit. I've also added a Tamron 180/2.5

Two lenses that I have that I find that I don't use much:
  • D FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 - a great lens that makes SO MUCH SENSE to have... but I find that I don't shoot with. For the record, back in the day when I was shooting 35mm, I also bought the excellent for the time FA 28-105/4-5.6 and didn't use that one much either. You'd think I'd learn...
  • D FA 15-30/2.8 - another great lens that I find that I don't use much. The problem? It's too BIG. It doesn't fit well in my camera bag so it's usually NOT IN my camera bag. Oh, I'll haul it along with me when I'm going someplace where I expect that there will be a lot of wide photo subjects, but otherwise I'll 'manage' with the 24 and 31. And filters are convenient to use with the 24 and 31 - not so much with the 15-30.
As an 'old school' photographer who does a lot of landscape photography, I make heavy use of the depth-of-field scales that are on most prime lenses - and normally absent on zooms.

If I had to say what my stand out lenses were, I'd go with the 'three amigos' (31/43/77) as well as the K 85/1.8. However, I'd like to point out that I don't have any IQ issues with ANY of my lenses. There are some lenses I just don't enjoy shooting with as much as I do others - but those issues are with me and how I view the world, not because the lenses are not up to snuff.

Last edited by wm_brant; 02-14-2019 at 09:26 AM.
02-15-2019, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I bought the K-1 primarily to shoot zoom lenses for landscapes. My primary lens is the DFA 28-105. This is the lens that sold me on the K-1. It's a bit of rarity: a compact, reasonably inexpensive slow variable aperture high quality standard zoom. As a landscape shooter, I don't need fast apertures so I'm not inclined to pay the extra cost or bear the extra weight of such optics. I only wish there were more lenses like the 28-105 in the DFA line-up.

I already owned the FA 20-35, so that could cover ultra wide angle side of things. I bought a couple of lightweight legacy zooms to round out the line-up, namely: the F 17-28 and the FA-J 75-300.

I do own other full frame lenses which I use on occasion, such as the DA* 300, the Tamron 70-200, and the DFA 100 Macro. I also own a number of old manual focus lenses like the M 20/4, the K 28/3.5, the K 35/3.5, and the K 50/1.2. These are more specialty lenses. They don't get all that much use on the K-1.

I still own a KP, which I primarily use with my three DA Limiteds (15, 21, 35) and the DA 55-300 PLM. When I'm doing serious telephoto work, I'll often reach for the KP instead of the K-1. The main issue I have with doing telephoto work on FF is the lens size: high quality FF telephoto glass is just too large, heavy and expensive for my use. My Tamron 70-200 doesn't get much use because of the size and weight. And I would never consider a lens heavier than the Tamron.

Despite my dislike of heavy lenses, I did purchase a copy of the DFA 15-30. I would like to do serious astrophotography work, and for that the DFA 15-30, despite it's annoying size and weight, makes sense. My copy of the lens suffered from de-centering, so it had to be returned; but as we draw closer to the astrophotography season, I might pick up another copy of the lens. I really did appreciate the contrast and color rendering of that lens. Landscape images taken from that beast have a subtle beauty to them that I've never come across in any other zoom lens I've used, including the DFA 28-105.
02-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #45
Forum Member

I own a lot of lenses but mostly use only a few of them:
When I do hiking, skiing or something similar I take the DFA 28-105 with me sometimes together with the FA 31 limited when I plan to stay overnight.
Last holidays I took the DFA 24-70mm and the modified DA* 60-250mm f4. This couple worked great on city trips and also on shorter walks through the nature. Especially the DA 60-250 is phantastic as a walkaround-lens together with the DFA 24-70. I got it used for a very good price. I highly recommend to modify it!!!
I made a safari tour two years ago. There I had the DFA 15-30, the DFA 28-105, and the DFA 150-450 with me. That was a great combination but only possible because I mostly used a car and didn‘t have to walk a lot.
For my next holiday, a trip to Marrakesh I still haven‘t decided which gear to take with me. At the moment I think of the DFA 15-30mm combined either with the DFA 28-105mm (would be the lighter version) or the DFA 24-70mm. In addition I‘d like to take the FA 135 f2,8 and the DA 1,4 TC.
For portraits I like the FA 135 f2,8, the FA 31 limited and the DFA* 70-200mm although every other lens works if you just have it on your camera.