Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #1

Confused ?!? SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM - declared as FF by Yvon Bourque

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello

In his eBook about the K-1 Mr. Yvon Bourque declared that the SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM is FF compatible on the K-1
In Chapter 4 you can read; The Image circle is compatible with Full Frame sensor

I am a little bit confused about this statement! What is true?

Gérard

03-23-2019, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's been discussed in this forum many times, Gerard, many DA primes are, and so are several zooms at various focal lengths.

Proof?

I shot this just yesterday with my DA*55 on the K-1:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by clackers; 03-24-2019 at 04:32 PM.
03-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
What is true?
This page is worth a read: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test

It's a question of whether the output of a lens fully covers the sensor without significant distortions (like vignetting or color aberrations). In this case, it almost does, except at the widest apertures there is just a little bit of vignetting.

When you are shooting portraits -- a common job of the DA*55 -- some vignetting is not always a bad thing; so in practice most users feel the lens is useful on full frame. Pentax won't call it officially compatible though.
03-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes it can be used on a FF body. You might want to get an off brand shorter hood.
some even compare it with the new DA*50 which it perform pretty well.
SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????

That page is one of the reason I buy it.

03-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

it is. works flawlessly on the K1.
03-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a very fine lens with beautyful and unique image character. Unmatched by any other lens (except the Fat Fifty), neither star nor ltd lenses.

It works on the K-1. The only shortcomings on ff I noticed are slightly softer corners obviously, and also noticeable vignetting when focussing at closer distances like 2m (6 ft) or less. I've tested it against a white wall. Other than that, I see no reason not to use it in ff.
03-23-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to guess it vignettes *less* than the FA50 f1.4 and the FA31 Limited.

03-23-2019, 05:21 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strictly speaking, it's not 100% FF compatible. At some focal distances and apertures, a tiny "physical" vignette (i.e. black corners with no recoverable detail) may occur. That is why Pentax have not declared it officially as a FF lens, like they have for the DA*200, DA*300 and DA560.

But as clackers and aurele have already stated, image quality is good to the corners and generally speaking, "optical" vignetting (completely correctable in post-processing) is negligible. It is a very useful and enjoyable lens on the K-1.

There is an album full of images HERE if you're interested.
03-24-2019, 03:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the K-1 the lens will be able to use Lens-Correction features (distortion correction etc) when used in crop mode only, not in FF. But with a lens of this focal length and quality I would say that is irrelevant.
03-24-2019, 04:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
THX a lot for all the response

I uses Pentax since 1975 and what I always love was the (light-weight) of their body. I have very much old glass and still use it. Also an SMC Pentax-A 1.4/50mm.
I loved my Super A & LX an never could find a friendship to the film-area body. I owned a Z-1p and I really used it maybe for only 50 films

The K-1 is a heavyweight compared to my K-3 & K-5 bodies and I refuse to add another 750gr more for an new HD D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW. If the new has 1.2 it would the weight be OK, but not for an 1.4

Therefore I look to both the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 oder the SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM. The first is very compact and tiny, 1.4/55mm some more impressive and still a lightweight compared to the newest 1.4/50mm

Which Lenshood will be the best to fit on the 1.4/55mm & K-1 and will not cause vignettering? I don't want a rubber one! Will this fit Sensei 58mm Screw-on Tulip Lens Hood LHSC-58 B&H Photo Video

Gérard
03-24-2019, 04:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I got my first K-1 I tested my DA*55 with hood on and hood off. It made minimal difference.
03-24-2019, 04:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Hello

In his eBook about the K-1 Mr. Yvon Bourque declared that the SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM is FF compatible on the K-1
In Chapter 4 you can read; The Image circle is compatible with Full Frame sensor

Gérard
Absolutely true, I have third party lens hood on mine.

Virtually no vignetting even at ƒ1.4. And great lens on a K-1 as well for those who want better than average quality at less cost and weight than a 50 1.4.
03-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

Gérard
After I had been using my K1 for long enough that I knew that I wouldn’t be going back to APS-C ever, I had a hard look at whether or not to keep the DA* 55mm. One of the things I did was check it for vignetting and I noted that wide open down to around f/2.8 there was slight falloff, but nothing too major. However, it was there, and it was too great for Pentax to be able to call it a full frame lens.
My biggest beef with it was I found the bokeh to be a little odd.
Anyway, I sold the thing and did find myself regretting that I had as even with its faults it was still better than the FA 50/1.4. After the D FA* 50mm was released I stopped missing it.
05-06-2019, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

See here:

Modern Fast 50mm Shootout - Review Announcements | PentaxForums.com

While not perfect, it's fully FF compatible, and a valid solution for a high-quality WR and AF 550-ish lens.
05-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
pid
Pentaxian

THX a lot for all the response

I uses Pentax since 1975 and what I always love was the (light-weight) of their body. I have very much old glass and still use it. Also an SMC Pentax-A 1.4/50mm.
I loved my Super A & LX an never could find a friendship to the film-area body. I owned a Z-1p and I really used it maybe for only 50 films

The K-1 is a heavyweight compared to my K-3 & K-5 bodies and I refuse to add another 750gr more for an new HD D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW. If the new has 1.2 it would the weight be OK, but not for an 1.4

Therefore I look to both the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 oder the SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM. The first is very compact and tiny, 1.4/55mm some more impressive and still a lightweight compared to the newest 1.4/50mm

Which Lenshood will be the best to fit on the 1.4/55mm & K-1 and will not cause vignettering? I don't want a rubber one! Will this fit Sensei 58mm Screw-on Tulip Lens Hood LHSC-58 B&H Photo Video

Gérard
I use a ventilated lens hood like this one: 58mm ventilated lens hood
With this hood you can use your original lens cap!