Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2019, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Whatever you do, don't try to carry this monster around your neck with the standard camera strap. I recommend something like a Peak Design or Black Rapid sling strap to take the weight off your neck, and off the lens mount.
I agree, you need it on a shoulder sling of some sort

Optech USA make similar straps

https://optechusa.com/

lots of threads discuss such carrying systems

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-13-2019 at 08:43 AM.
04-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fobbo Quote
I use a K1 mk II, and I've found that the F* 300 f4.5, FA*300 f4.5, DA* 300 F4, and DFA 150-450 f4.5-5.6 to be what I'd like to use
I'd like some opinions/advice as I doubt I'll be buying more than one long lens at this range (just a hobbyist).

With the weather getting nicer I'd love to try my hands at wildlife photography. I also mostly do handheld shooting, which is kind of important as most of these aren't very light at all.
Any advice on which lens is most suitable is appreciated (or why not to buy any).

Also some specific questions I have:
  1. For people who own longer telephoto lenses (300mm+ ) what situations/subjects do you find yourself using these lenses in?
  2. How often do you use them?
  3. Are FA/F lenses that different to the more modern lenses?
  4. How much of a difference do the coatings/newer AF make (keep in mind I'm not a professional)?
  5. What's the best way to carry lenses of this size/weight around?
There's also the FA* 400mm 5.6 to add to you list.
300mm F*, FA* and DA* delivers mostly the same optical performance.
  1. Animals, street, ,wildlife, nature - anything that can be captured from the longer distance and looks nice as close(r) up
  2. every third time or always when there are animals expected
  3. During use nearly no difference since they all have AF
  4. When using the lens hood, difference in regular weather conditions wouldn't let you feel any difference.
    Older screw drive driven AF-lenses can be faster than SDM from DA* lenses. DA* lenses can be converted to screw drive
  5. Shoulder strap like Sun Sniper or Blackrapid to have the camera ready to use. Shoulder Bag like Maxpedition Mongo Versipack or Lowepro Event Messenger 250

Last edited by angerdan; 04-14-2019 at 06:12 AM.
04-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there are user reviews of various straps and grips here:

Camera Straps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
04-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backpacks with top entry option is handy for long lenses. I have an Incase Pro DSLR backpack that fit the 150-450 attached to my K-1 when I rented that lens. Lowepro Protactic Bags and Manfrotto (forgot the exact model name) also have top entry would probably be good. The latter 2 might have a slight edge since they have waist straps.

04-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fobbo Quote
My weight issue isn't usually when I'm using/holding it but the fact that my shoulders get pretty stiff after a day of walking around carrying it.
There's the old adage, "you must suffer for your art". Luckily, over the counter pain killers can help with this!

A true back pack style bag would be a great idea when moving from one location to the next, but if you do not want to spook the critters, you may realize that a 200mm lens does not get you close enough. Either the 400mm, the 150-450 or if you have good credit and can afford the mortgage, a nice 600mm f5.6 will get you in tight!

I occasionally photograph birds out my back window (10 yards max) with a 200-500mm vintage tamron, f5.6. At 500mm it is still not close enough to get the full frame (on my K-1) filled. I add a 1.5 teleconverter to get there. This makes the lens a 300-750 f8! To keep this monster steady, I use it on a tripod with a Manfrotto gimbal mount. This may be too heavy for general walk around field work, so a monopod might be a better choice.
As for the weight you carry, keep carrying it and your body gets used to it. Mainly because you are building up the muscles you are using! You may want to hit the gym if you shoot like this regularly!

Enjoy!
04-20-2019, 04:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want to test the waters, try out a used manual focus A 400mm f/5.6. It is small and light for a lens in this class. I have one bought new back in the film days that I love and cherish.

For wildlife the lack of autofocus is not a deal breaker. Not the last word in IQ compared to modern gear, but if you use it at f/8 or f/11 and refrain from pixel peeping you will be all right. When the time comes to move on, you should get your money back.
10-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #37

If your 70-200mm is the HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm, then you will be hard pressed to get better definition in a light weight longer lens.

The only lens I have that fits the bill is a Perkin-Elmer 600mm/f8 Solid Cat.
Note that if you want definition with longer lenses, you need a solid tripod or a fast shutter speed.

You might consider the 1.7x AF adapter with your 70-200mm.

Last edited by weverka; 12-14-2019 at 07:12 PM.
10-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 645 FA 400 mm f/5.6 lens for my 645Z and the 645 1.4X converter plus the 645/K mount Pentax adaptor. The lens has a massive tripod foot and isn't too heavy. I shoot landscapes @ f/11 and f/16 on a tripod so lack of automation is not a problem for me. You can shoot with the K1 in auto Aperture-preferred mode but manual focus only. Results have always be highly satisfying, with or without the converter on.
10-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #39
Pentaxian

To me, the bigger questions is are you willing to forgo the versatility of a zoom for improvements in IQ. Zooms at the telephoto range, I've found, are more useful than primes. If I'm planning out my shots, telephoto primes fit the bill. But, if you are more apt to grab shots in a reactionary manner, zoom telephoto glass is hard to beat. Below 135mm, I'm mostly a prime guy; but above, I'm a convert to zooms. But, to answer your question:

From first hand experience, I can recommend the following:

1) The DA* 300mm f/4. It's such a lovely lens to work with. Great sharpness, good focusing abilities, and though it's not a featherweight its not too bad weight-wise either. To top it all off, it's weather sealed, something that the FA and F versions that you've mentioned don't have going for them. I'd consider getting a DA* 300mm as a first pick out of the Pentax primes that you've mentioned, and then consider the older film versions as a second choice, if their used prices are significantly lower.

2) The Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG. This one is a real winner as well! Not weather sealed and without silent focusing, but a gem of a lens from my limited usage. But at over 1400g it ain't something you'll love to carry.

That being said, here are some lenses that I cannot recommend with the K-1 from my personal experience:

1) The Da 55-300mm. It's just won't do the K-1's sensor justice.
It's good, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. But, I have strong opinions about Aps-c lenses on FF bodies generally.

2) The FA 80-320mm, and both of the FA 100-300mm's. Again, all three of these lenses are optically subpar on a K-1. I've owned the 80-320mm and tried both of the 100-300mm versions. There's no such thing as a plastic fantastic telephoto in a 300mm+ range.
10-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #40
Pentaxian

look at:
SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm F4.5-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

do not know why there is no special review for SMC-Pentax-FA-80-320mm-F4-5.6 Silver (supposedly there is a difference between the black and silver version)

then:
Pentax K1 + FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6 (150mm) -silver
aperture: f7.1
iso: 2000
Shutter: 1/80

https://i.postimg.cc/q7v7sbPp/IMGP4598-copy-44.jpg

a very, very underestimated lens, it has disadvantages but given the price and overall profit my recommendation in case you need telezoom for FF and you are short of money for 70-200 / 2.8

Last edited by mbukal; 10-12-2019 at 03:26 AM.
10-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

645 Pentax 400 mm f/5.6 can be used on K mount cameras in Aperture-preferred mode

10-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A nice combo I've worked with for a while is the DA* 300/4 plus the old AFA 1.7x teleconverter. It gives you 510mm at f/6.3, or thereabout, with very basic but workable autofocus. (You have to manually focus the 300 most of the way, and the AFA takes over from there.)
10-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@RICHARD_L. In the image you posted, there is no indication that the aperture was controlled by the camera. EXIF indicates "f/0.0" and a focal length of 50mm.
10-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
@RICHARD_L. In the image you posted, there is no indication that the aperture was controlled by the camera. EXIF indicates "f/0.0" and a focal length of 50mm.
He probably set the aperture on the lens and the camera calculated the shutter speed.
10-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exposure data can't be monitored correctly as there is no electronic link between the lens and the camera body. But you can use Aperture-preferred auto-exposure, just as would be the case with a fixed-aperture catadioptric lens or a macro lens on bellows for example. You compose your picture, set the desired stop-down aperture (f/11 or f/16) and the K1 determines the correct shutter speed. This combo is better used on a solid tripod and manipulations can take some time but this is not an issue in landscape photography.