Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

During cheap analog days, we travelled with two cameras. Things break without early warning symptoms these days. Time to release a new FF camera, so we keep K1(II) as backup.

07-15-2019, 04:49 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
During cheap analog days, we travelled with two cameras. Things break without early warning symptoms these days. Time to release a new FF camera, so we keep K1(II) as backup.
Good point. You'll get no disagreement from me.

---------- Post added 07-15-19 at 05:06 PM ----------

Ok, update on this thread. Sent my K-1 to Precision around the 28th of June. They received it on the 3rd of July or so my tracking said. Have not heard a word from Precision on this either. Note that I have sent more my gear to them over the years for repair and I usually do hear from them prior to them doing the work even though I, as usual paid the standard fee. So...today my camera came back from Precision, repaired, cleaned, and like new. I'm very pleased of course but I would have like to know it was coming back. Regardless, thank you Precision for a speedy repair!

So....what was the problem. Um...Precision is known - by me - as being very limited in their descriptions of either the problem and/or the repair. So, I'll quote.
"Replaced power operation"
"A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs"
"Complete cleaning" (note, that's normal for Precision on any camera repair I've had)

Parts used:
"Main flex circuit and CPU"

That's it. So it was the circuit board. Cost on this minus shipping was their standard fee for a K-1 repair $308.

I'm happy to have my K-1II back and so quickly.
07-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Good point. You'll get no disagreement from me.

---------- Post added 07-15-19 at 05:06 PM ----------

Ok, update on this thread. Sent my K-1 to Precision around the 28th of June. They received it on the 3rd of July or so my tracking said. Have not heard a word from Precision on this either. Note that I have sent more my gear to them over the years for repair and I usually do hear from them prior to them doing the work even though I, as usual paid the standard fee. So...today my camera came back from Precision, repaired, cleaned, and like new. I'm very pleased of course but I would have like to know it was coming back. Regardless, thank you Precision for a speedy repair!

So....what was the problem. Um...Precision is known - by me - as being very limited in their descriptions of either the problem and/or the repair. So, I'll quote.
"Replaced power operation"
"A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs"
"Complete cleaning" (note, that's normal for Precision on any camera repair I've had)

Parts used:

That's it. So it was the circuit board. Cost on this minus shipping was their standard fee for a K-1 repair $308.

Good to hear you have it sorted. Pity it's out of warranty.
07-16-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
When I got a new film camera, I always kept my 'previous' one as my backup. The first ten years of the digital age, I replaced several dead ones in a row, but now I finally have the K-30 to back-up my KP when traveling by auto, and my Q-7 as back-up when flying.

07-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Parts used:

Brrrrrrrr

So you bought a K-1 for 1799, had it converted to K-1ii for 500 and now 308 for swapping the board a second time.......

Good that it is working and I hope you can enjoy it for a long time.

From another thread about converting the K-1 into K-1ii. On the question what is smart to do..... I wrote on february 23th 2018:
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is always the tricky question. Ofcourse the most active members on this forum have a K-1 and are bound to update their camera more then K-1 owners that don't visit any forums.

What would I do? First I don't have a K-1, but I bought a lot of Pentax camera's in the past. So here is my approach to this.
If I bought the K-1 at start for 1899 euro (that was on offer for a period in the beginning) before the quake then my K-1 would be almost 2 years old now (I had K-5 and K-3 at start also).
I could sell my K-1 for 1200 euro very fast I think. It's a good price for people in the secondhand market. I could buy a K-1ii for 1999 (maybe even 1899 since I have some connection). That would mean that I pay 200 to 300 euro extra over the upgrade, but have a brandnew camera! That is the real write-off for two years of use for the K-1. That would be my first choice.

Both would work well for Ricoh-Imaging since it is about sales.
The new camera comes with 2 years of warrenty and the swap only with 6 months. So basicly the swap is the choice for people who like to live a dangerous live.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-16-2019 at 02:52 PM.
07-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Brrrrrrrr

So you bought a K-1 for 1799, had it converted to K-1ii for 500 and now 308 for swapping the board a second time.......

Good that it is working and I hope you can enjoy it for a long time.

From another thread about converting the K-1 into K-1ii. On the question what is smart to do..... I wrote on february 23th 2018:

The new camera comes with 2 years of warrenty and the swap only with 6 months. So basicly the swap is the choice for people who like to live a dangerous live.
Yes, quite an astute observation and a true one at that. I gave up some time ago, trying to add up the cost of all of my camera gear. I did consider getting a new K-1II body but I like the old one because at this point it was still easier to get the old one fixed. I too hope I enjoy it for a long time as well.
10-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-x did this exact thing years ago when it my tripod fell over in high wind onto a concrete slab. For my camera, the problem was traced to a solder-point breaking on the motherboard. The fix, unfortunately, was to pay the man.

Glad to hear that you got yours back in working order
10-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad that it is repaired, but was wondering about what may have happened. I was wondering if it was always in your possession or if it could have been dropped? Perhaps the experts here could help with this, but wonder if moisture could have entered a loose battery compartment or something like that?

10-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #24

Ouch. Glad to hear it's been fixed, but worried that it was due to the circuit board. Hopefully there aren't too many of these cases...
11-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Glad you were able to get out fixed, now
It's always the worst when it happens while on vacation thou.
12-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Glad you were able to get out fixed, now
It's always the worst when it happens while on vacation thou.
Yes, indeed it is the worst. [sigh]