Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 bricked, anyone seen this happen before?

So my 2 year old K-1 (now a modified K-1 II) last week just died. No warning, just took a shot, then a few moments later, the LCD turned into mush as shown in the attached image, which by the way is, as best as I could determine, the normal function selection screen. Following this, the camera would not record images, would not display any information in the viewfinder, would apparently actuate the shutter once, and then refuse to do anything. Tried removing the battery and switching the battery, same issue. Oh, even the GPS light went out after this. One other thing it will do is that playing with switching batteries, it will only work once (one shutter click) and then give a hard thunk! noise before bricking again. Oh, if it matters the S/N is 6361763

This happened half way through my month long trip to Europe...so I've had to drag about 11kg of useless camera equipment along over the last half of this trip. Managed to get a Lumix compact digital camera to at least have some other option than my cell phone.

Anyway, I expect to be sending this to the repair shop when I get back to the USA and I expect that it's a circuit board issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before or if it's a known problem. So please post if you have seen this behavior and if there is a fix. Not looking for sympathy, I still love my K-1 and want it working again.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N960U  Photo 

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 06-24-2019 at 10:54 PM.
06-24-2019, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't looked into blind repair(trying to reset without the display. If you can, that would be interesting.) but have you tried tethering the camera to see if it responds? Have you tried powering on with no sdcards inserted? I don't know if there is a reset without using the menu, now I'm curious if there is a dev mode you can use to reset. I can't find one for the k1 ii. Does any of the phone tethering software work over Wi-Fi? And finally, does putting the latest firmware on an SD card and booting with it inserted change anything?

My guess would be, no, no change, but if you have time it would be interesting to try.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-1-2.html

Good luck, that's crazy and annoying. If it's the board like you suspect, not much will help.
Cheers!
~KC
06-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drache Quote
I haven't looked into blind repair(trying to reset without the display. If you can, that would be interesting.) but have you tried tethering the camera to see if it responds? Have you tried powering on with no sdcards inserted? I don't know if there is a reset without using the menu, now I'm curious if there is a dev mode you can use to reset. I can't find one for the k1 ii. Does any of the phone tethering software work over Wi-Fi? And finally, does putting the latest firmware on an SD card and booting with it inserted change anything?

My guess would be, no, no change, but if you have time it would be interesting to try.
Latest PENTAX K-1 Mark II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Good luck, that's crazy and annoying. If it's the board like you suspect, not much will help.
Cheers!
~KC
Hmmm...interesting suggestions. Can't try some of them until I return home. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report any success/failures of course. Thanks.

Oh, I did try to restart with the menu button pressed to get to the firmware screen but it ignored me. Oh, and it has the latest firmware as well.
06-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Forum Member

GPUs dying in PCs tend to produce similar symptoms. Wouldn't be surprised if the processor has died in the camera.

06-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
So my 2 year old K-1 (now a modified K-1 II) last week just died.
Likely bad contact of one of the flex ribbon cables that connect the main-board to peripherals of the camera. Depends how well the K1 II mother board was connected back into place in the original K1 body. Mechanical stress, heat or shock in transport may have developed a weakness into a failure. => Repair.
06-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #6

The upgrade had a six month warranty. If you were one of those who had to wait for parts until earlier this year your camera may still be covered.
06-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The upgrade had a six month warranty. If you were one of those who had to wait for parts until earlier this year your camera may still be covered.
Nope, well beyond that date. Mostly likely just going to have to grin and pay the repair bill. [sigh]
06-25-2019, 03:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is unfortunate to have a K1 II "bricked". In 20 years of owning Pentax DSLR, including a K1 and K1 II, I never had a single instance of camera failure. I've had firmware instability a few times, and one mirror stuck up in burst mode (I released it manually), but that'll all. Maybe failure will come, but so far no issue.

Is there any bad luck that your K1 II was bumped onto something during transport from the US to EU or while hanging by the bottom plate, while you didn't pay attention?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-25-2019 at 03:07 AM.
06-25-2019, 04:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-1 (mark 1 ) suffered a similar fate at the 2 year point. Garbled lcd display, and total jam after taking two pictures.

i had it repaired under warranty. A new main board was the fix.
06-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #10

If you are passing through Hamburg or Berlin you might try Maerz Foto. They are a RIcoh/Pentax authorized repair service. They do walk-in work. At least a tech could look at it and it might be something as simple as a loose connector.

Foto Maerz - Home
06-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Is there any bad luck that your K1 II was bumped onto something during transport from the US to EU or while hanging by the bottom plate, while you didn't pay attention?
No don't think so as it worked for about 12 days into my trip and worked that morning as well.

---------- Post added 06-25-19 at 11:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My K-1 (mark 1 ) suffered a similar fate at the 2 year point. Garbled lcd display, and total jam after taking two pictures.

i had it repaired under warranty. A new main board was the fix.
Very interesting. Thanks.

---------- Post added 06-25-19 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you are passing through Hamburg or Berlin you might try Maerz Foto. They are a RIcoh/Pentax authorized repair service. They do walk-in work. At least a tech could look at it and it might be something as simple as a loose connector.

Foto Maerz - Home
Very good to know but I'm not in that area (I'm near Munich and am going home tomorrow.). Thanks
06-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

When you say you get it to "work once" do you mean the lcd is no longer scrambled during that time or is still exhibiting that symptom?

If you can still access the camera at any point I'd highly recommend flashing the bios. This could easily be a corrupted rom. Just remember no matter what the problem actually is you will have a replaced circuit board going through normal repair channels, and the price will of course reflect that.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 06-25-2019 at 09:30 PM.
06-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #13

Considering the temperatures here in Europe at the moment, maybe the camera overheated and died of it...
06-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
When you say you get it to "work once" do you mean the lcd is no longer scrambled during that time or is still exhibiting that symptom?

If you can still access the camera at any point I'd highly recommend flashing the bios. This could easily be a corrupted rom. Just remember no matter what the problem actually is you will have a replaced circuit board going through normal repair channels, and the price will of course reflect that.
Did not mean that the LCD was not scrambled, just meant that the camera would do something like recognize the shutter press or some action once.

---------- Post added 06-27-19 at 08:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Considering the temperatures here in Europe at the moment, maybe the camera overheated and died of it...
Actually thought about that but when this happened it hadn't gotten really that hot yet.
06-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drache Quote

Latest PENTAX K-1 Mark II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Cheers!
~KC
1. Repowering with no SD cards - no change in problem.
2. Was already on firmware 1.3

Off to Precision for more $$