Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Question on D-Li90 Battery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I'm strongly considering a K1 purchase for landscape (own a K-70 too) use and will need several batteries to go with it.
I was wondering about the quality of the D-Li90P compared against the generic unbranded versions.

On ebay and amazon there seems to be unbranded versions that are sold each or in lots of 5.
D-LI90 LI90(E) LI90E LI90P DLI90 DLI90P DLI90(E) DLI90E Battery for Pentax 645Z | eBay

The unbranded ones from ebay are between 2000 and 2300ma.
I also see Wallmart sells one made by Polaroid, but only 1450ma,

How do these unbranded ones compare against actual branded ones?
A. Do they measure up in longevity milliamp wise?
B. How about longevity in temperature extremes for outdoor summer heat, winter minus cold?

Thanks gang.

08-14-2019, 08:34 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You get what you pay for- the third party batteries can't compete with the OEM ones. However, good ones, like Wasabi, do come fairly close.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by midnightvisions Quote
Hello,

I'm strongly considering a K1 purchase for landscape (own a K-70 too) use and will need several batteries to go with it.
I was wondering about the quality of the D-Li90P compared against the generic unbranded versions.

On ebay and amazon there seems to be unbranded versions that are sold each or in lots of 5.
D-LI90 LI90(E) LI90E LI90P DLI90 DLI90P DLI90(E) DLI90E Battery for Pentax 645Z | eBay

The unbranded ones from ebay are between 2000 and 2300ma.
I also see Wallmart sells one made by Polaroid, but only 1450ma,

B. How about longevity in temperature extremes for outdoor summer heat, winter minus cold?

Thanks gang.
There's a recent thread (which i cannot find right now) where the mA ratings of the cheap no-name brand batteries were put to the test and failed miserably. You get what you pay for.
08-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by midnightvisions Quote
I own the Pentax version as well as versions from Wasabi and (recently) DSTE and use them in rotation. My experience has been that even after five and a half years of use, the Pentax still performs essentially the same as when new. The Wasabi's have not been so robust with the first set failing to consistently accept full charge at about three years of use. The second set is still working fine at two and a half years. The DSTEs are less than a year old and so far, their performance is mixed. I have not been impressed; though to be honest, objective stress testing in video mode shows similar time to exhaustion as the Pentax and Wasabi batteries.

Moving on, the mAh capacity* of most brand-X are badly exaggerated. Assuming longevity means something along the lines of how much use before exhaustion, the Wasabi perform at about the same as the Pentax when new, but degrade at a more rapid rate than the Pentax with age. I don't have a good feel yet for the DTSEs. As for temperature extremes, heat is hard on all of my batteries. I have only rarely used mine below freezing and can't say that one type is better than the other.

Steve

* I assume by mA (current), you mean mAh (capacity)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-14-2019 at 08:54 PM.
08-14-2019, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #5

My experience is "ALWAYS, ALWAYS" buy OEM batteries & battery grips. I have found "NO" comparison between OEM & third party parts when it comes to powering your camera. (AC adapters excluded)
08-14-2019, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
MarkJerling,
Thanks, think I found it.
Testing Batteries? - PentaxForums.com

I figured that would be the case, but you never know until you ask.

Thanks again gang!
T
08-14-2019, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
After the amount of investment I've got tied up in hardware of bodies and glass. I'm not going to skimp on the batteries... hence I always buy OEM.

That's the same thought process I have for all the brands that I currently use. For me it's sort of a "belt and braces' approach.

This ethos has always served me well... so far.

08-14-2019, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As if midnightvisions needed further convincing, I can report that neither of my two original D-Li90s, manufactured 11/2013 and 05/2015 respectively, have given me any compelling reason to replace them yet. I find it hard to see a significant difference in performance between them, nor do they seem to have lost much of their original capacity when they were new.

Going cheap on camera batteries, after all I have invested in my gear, both money- and care-wise, has never crossed my mind.
08-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I usually buy better third party batteries, but that is just because Ricoh want me to pay 90-100 USD for a OEM D-Li90 in Sweden.
I can get three good third party batteries for that sum, and each are like 80% of the OEM battery. Or I can get 5-6 of the really cheap ones which are like lottery tickets.

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-15-2019 at 07:22 AM.
08-15-2019, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have original batteries and good third party - Wasabi

I recently obtained several original batteries from a member via the forum
08-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've a couple OEM and a couple unbranded (Wasabi brand seem to be harder to come across here in the UK, or at more expensive than others).

As I don't shoot a huge amount, I can typically get away with only taking two batteries, one in-camera and one spare, for a 'day' of shooting. Irrespective, if I knew I was going to be out for longer, I'm sure I wouldn't have any issues with getting a definite day of use out of 4 batteries, regardless of how heavy a session it is.

In short: a pack of 5 batteries would last me just fine given the type of use I exhibit.
08-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I have 4x Pentax, 1 Hahnel, 3 Pearson. And one newish Wasabi. One of the Pearson batteries died. All others still working. All sold by reputable sellers. B&H, CR Kennedy and OEM with cameras. The OEM are best but the others are all good to have as spares at half to one third the OEM replacement cost.
08-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L 190 battery thoughts

I have three Pentax bodies, all with grips and only have the L 190 batteries included. I have had exceptional longevity with all of these so I would not consider a generic alternate. The specs are not identical and I know from experience not to expect any surprises from the Pentax batteries. The price difference is not worth it, in my opinion. However, you can make up your own mind as you see fit.
09-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Batteries

I stick with Pentax brand batteries. I have never had one go bad, but plenty of the after-market batteries went dumpers on me before I gave them up.
09-06-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

I have several wasabi branded batteries for my K1 and they do die significantly quicker then the Pentax branded cells. They are good for when your main Pentax batteries have died and you need something in a pinch, but I only keep them for emergency backup.