Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
But a new 43/1.4 or 31/1.4 would be welcome if you ask me.
I'd love an updated FA limited with DC and WR. F1.4 is not needed I think, I'd keep the character of the lenses, but upgrade their technology.

If you can't preview the crop in the VF with perfect precision, you can't just tell LR to do it in batch.
Makes sense, except if you can frame in the center with reliability. Not easy, I agree.

08-28-2019, 05:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Well, you're in luck because it's already here. It's been here since the K-1 was released.
I see what you mean, but it's not the same thing as a mode dial. Given Pentax's focus on customization and external controls on higher-end bodies, having the 4 way controller give access to settings (and I agree that color space isn't needed as a shortcut) is nice, and having a different dial for AF point means no risk of changing a setting because you didn't notice the absence of the AF point icon.
10-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadrunnerdeluxe Quote
ISO 50 would be nice!
Lower ISO would be my first choice too. A great feature for landscape photography.

After that I'd like:
1) More focus points (with a joystick)
2) A lighter body
10-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #19

I hope that they start with a different name than K-x
I would add:
- power adapter for 12 vdc
- a slightly larger viewfinder
- UHS-III sd card interface (UHS-II is newest, but UHS-III better)
- eliminate some buttons use lcd instead
- lcd display control that includes night vision instead of buried in menus
- simplified menus
- perhaps a small solar panel grid to trickle charge batteries
- a hot shoe cover lock or onboard pocket

Just some ideas.

10-09-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I hope they get rid of the image "accelerator" of the K-1 Mark II
Faster reading sd card slots like UHS-III would be the biggest issue for me. The K-1 really slows down when shooting bursts then writing it to the card.
I would also like to upgrade the battery to something higher capacity. Pentax still is using the DLI-90 which came out with the K-7...that means its 10 year old battery technology.
10-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What I'd LOVE!

1. Higher Mpix Sensor. (I don't need higher, but K1 has a reputation as an excellent landscape camera and to stay competitive should up its MP count)
2. Hybrid Viewfinder that can go from EVF to Optical
3. On sensor focusing that rivals Fuji, Sony, and Olympus. (This would effectively give it the same advantages as mirror-less while not losing lens mount compatibility)
4. More investment into computational aspects of photography

Also side note, if they ever release a full mirrorless camera they should join the L-mount alliance to do it.....if that was even a possibility.
10-18-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really the K-1 leaves me wanting for very little.
Would love a lower ISO option, of course, but there are technical reasons why they are a compromise with current sensors (as you are operating below the sensors base ISO). That said I liked the ISO 80 on K-5 (which is below base sensor ISO) and in real world use I did not notice any disadvantages (in fact I saw an improvement in shadow noise).

However for Pentax to sell it has to have competitive features and fast AF is often harped on about by reviewers + 4K video (not that I need it).

10-18-2019, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree the k-1/K-1ii is a very complete camera. I hope they do not stray much. It should be possible to add some attractive features without changing the basic form and operation. Faster card slots and bus is about all I would want.
10-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I'm another one who thinks the K-1 is pretty dang good as-is. But I'm just a hobbyist.

On the next model I'd love to see ISO50, improved AF with more focus points, a dedicated AF selector, faster processor + bus + card speeds and a larger buffer. (I fill the buffer once in a while just chasing hummingbirds.) I'd honestly be OK with the same megapickles, but I doubt the sensor will still be available. Being really picky, based on my hand issues these days, a larger card size (XQD/CFE) would be welcome, but I highly doubt that will happen.
10-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

1) A proper dedicated AF point controller.
The new APS-C flagship model has a dedicated joystick.
I'm sure we'll see the same control in future FF models.

I'm OK with the current four-way controller, which is really an eight-way controller as one can press two buttons at the same time for diagonal movement.

2) Complete AF overhaul for FF.
Again, the new APS-C flagship promises an improved AF system.

The coverage will be wider and there will be more AF areas (the new control wouldn't make much sense without an increase in AF areas).
I wouldn't expect a future FF model to have wider coverage (it cannot pull of the same trick as an APS-C model can) but I'd expect more AF areas.

3) 16 shot pixel shift for super high res.
Pentax has experimented with a 16-shot version and dismissed the option.

The increase in actual resolution doesn't justify the longer capture time and vastly increased file size.
Do you know one implementation of a 16-shot approach that actually gives any significant advantage over the 4-shot approach?

I feel that negating the Bayer-AA filter array is the most important step. The added on "superresolution" effect through half-sensel shifts doesn't really bring much to the table.

4) Get rid of the fluff.
I agree that anything JPEG-related should be banned from the hardware controls.

5) MOAR crop modes.
Yes, it would be nice to have more crop frame alternatives in the viewfinder.

Overall, I'm really happy with the K-1 as it is.

My main wish for a successor model is that it won't introduce mandatory raw cooking (aka "accelerator unit").
I wouldn't mind the option to do the raw cooking, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone all the time.

I'd also love to see automation for AF micro-adjustments. The camera has everything it needs to for fully automating the calibration process. The user would only have to supply a suitable focus target and a tripod.
10-26-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

My main wish for a successor model is that it won't introduce mandatory raw cooking (aka "accelerator unit").
I wouldn't mind the option to do the raw cooking, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone all the time.
Yes, I don't have issue with the accelerator unit, its the forced usage of it that I don't like. Granted most companies do noise reduction in RAW but I want that control in post and not in camera. Nikon was ragged on for the D5 noise performance...but in reality its just that a professional photojournalism camera. It was optimized for fast readout and high iso photography and it didn't have the baked in raw processing that happens in other sensors.

Read Noise in DNs versus ISO Setting
Attached Images

10-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Granted most companies do noise reduction in RAW but I want that control in post and not in camera.
Same here.

As you say, most companies (including Pentax) fiddle with the RAW data but pretty much never at ISO settings below ISO 3200.
Beyond ISO 1600 I personally don't care anymore anyhow, so the fact that the K-5 does some smoothing starting with ISO 1600/3200 (select the SNR 18% tab under "Measurements") doesn't bother me. Just see how they resisted to do the same with the K-1, though. I really like that they didn't mess with it at all (or only to a very small amount).
10-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Same here.

As you say, most companies (including Pentax) fiddle with the RAW data but pretty much never at ISO settings below ISO 3200.
Beyond ISO 1600 I personally don't care anymore anyhow, so the fact that the K-5 does some smoothing starting with ISO 1600/3200 (select the SNR 18% tab under "Measurements") doesn't bother me. Just see how they resisted to do the same with the K-1, though. I really like that they didn't mess with it at all (or only to a very small amount).
The business decision probably boils down to how many potential sales are lost to people who understand baked RAWs and want to control NR in PP versus how many sales are gained to enthusiasts or other buyers who don’t care about the baked RAWs and like the higher ISO / lower ambient light / higher shutter speed potential. From Ricoh’s perspective it is probably an intentional trade off.

AFA features I would want in a K-new FF:
  • Wider AF point coverage with more AF points
  • Deeper buffer / faster bus / faster card writes (all improvements to the same issue)
  • Joystick, I guess
  • Auto Focus-Adjust and more lenses memory
As it is, the K-1 is pretty darned good for my use. I don’t need eye-AF or VF focus and exposure aids. I can get a FF MILC for that it I need it.

I’d want a completely different camera for action or video, not additions to K-1.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-26-2019 at 11:22 AM.
10-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From Ricoh’s perspective it is probably an intentional trade off.
I'm convinced Ricoh was completely surprised by the push back they received from DPReview.
After all, DPReview praised the KP for its low noise, i.e., they didn't cause a fuss with earlier applications of the "accelerator" unit. Also, sites like Imagine-Resource took little to no issue with the "accelerator" unit.

Without someone like Bill Claff (and DPReview botching up their first tests with the K-1II), the "accelerator" unit might have passed as something equivalent to a genuine dual-gain architecture. If everybody had just marvelled at the reduced noise and no one demonstrated the actual application of smoothing, it would have been a pure win for Ricoh.

I have huge difficulties believing Ricoh anticipated the push back but nevertheless made a calculated decision to go ahead regardless.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’d want a completely different camera for action or video, not additions to K-1.
Yes, same here.

No need to introduce compromises for stills photography in order to support good video capabilities.
10-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Would you rather have a 24 mp K-2 that is 10 FPS or a 42 Mp K-2 that is 4 fps? I am not sure myself.