Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

K-2 Wishlist

I'm enjoying my K-1 II quite a lot, but after shooting some weddings with it this Summer I have some wishlist items for an upgrade should it ever come.

1) A proper dedicated AF point controller. When I have the camera to my eye, it's incredibly annoying to realize I'm just changing white balance instead of moving the focus points around.
1b) Focus selector on the battery grip!!!

2) Complete AF overhaul for FF. My D810 runs circles around Pentax AF in all situations. The K-1 is usable in good light but I have completely stopped using it during receptions or low light. But frankly, they need to do better. Wider area, and much more accurate. Maybe the problem is that I'm using screw drive lenses, but it's over due IMO. Seems like the next 645 could benefit from this too.

3) 16 shot pixel shift for super high res. I've posted about this before. Seems like maybe it's not possible on the current K-1 II? With Sony and Panasonic achieving amazing resolution, and full RGB capture with no debayering, it would be great to see that in a Pentax. I personally use pixel shift for film scans, and if I could get resolution into the 180+ range I wouldn't have to stitch as much or at all.

4) Get rid of the fluff. I don't need direct access to multiple color modes on the AF selector. Raw photos are raw photos. I personally don't need that in camera AT ALL, but if it must be there, why not be in the menu? Same with the filter modes, this is a pro camera. Get rid of em! What's with the outdoor view settings? I just want to be able to see my preview without having to change a brightness mode that seems to reset occasionally. Either implement an ambient light sensor or put it in the menu.

5) MOAR crop modes. Every camera is like this, especially mirrorless. I love that Pentax has a 1:1, but I'd also love to see 4:3 and 4:5 modes. No reason why a digital sensor shouldn't be able to crop in camera. It's mostly helpful for film scanning, but I like to shoot 4:3 vertical portraits at weddings too. That's roughly the same as 645 format, and I prefer the more cropped vertical to 2:3 which can often seem overlong at the top and bottom.

I really like my Pentax, and I love the lenses. But as it is right now I'd be foolish to sell my D810, which is a rock solid workhorse when it comes to a wedding environment. I prefer using the K-1 when it comes to the images I get, but I can't rely on it in the same way. Hopefully we'll see some of this stuff addressed in a future K-2. I really couldn't care less about the newer sensors. I'm assuming it will have a 47mp chip, sounds great for scanning, but IMO we're beyond the needs of most photographers even at 36.

P.S. I don't see any reason why Pentax shouldn't rehouse the Limited FF primes in an SDM body. It would be a bit more interesting than playing me-too to Sigma's line up by way of Tokina.

08-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice suggestions. But the K-1 is way more than a wedding camera. The outdoor screen brughtness settings can be very useful for some genres.
08-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
I'm enjoying my K-1 II quite a lot, but after shooting some weddings with it this Summer I have some wishlist items for an upgrade should it ever come.

1) A proper dedicated AF point controller. When I have the camera to my eye, it's incredibly annoying to realize I'm just changing white balance instead of moving the focus points around.

2) Complete AF overhaul for FF. My D810 runs circles around Pentax AF in all situations. The K-1 is usable in good light but I have completely stopped using it during receptions or low light. But frankly, they need to do better. Wider area, and much more accurate. Maybe the problem is that I'm using screw drive lenses, but it's over due IMO. Seems like the next 645 could benefit from this too.

3) 16 shot pixel shift for super high res. I've posted about this before. Seems like maybe it's not possible on the current K-1 II? With Sony and Panasonic achieving amazing resolution, and full RGB capture with no debayering, it would be great to see that in a Pentax. I personally use pixel shift for film scans, and if I could get resolution into the 180+ range I wouldn't have to stitch as much or at all.

4) Get rid of the fluff. I don't need direct access to multiple color modes on the AF selector. Raw photos are raw photos. I personally don't need that in camera AT ALL, but if it must be there, why not be in the menu? Same with the filter modes, this is a pro camera. Get rid of em! What's with the outdoor view settings? I just want to be able to see my preview without having to change a brightness mode that seems to reset occasionally. Either implement an ambient light sensor or put it in the menu.

5) MOAR crop modes. Every camera is like this, especially mirrorless. I love that Pentax has a 1:1, but I'd also love to see 4:3 and 4:5 modes. No reason why a digital sensor shouldn't be able to crop in camera. It's mostly helpful for film scanning, but I like to shoot 4:3 vertical portraits at weddings too. That's roughly the same as 645 format, and I prefer the more cropped vertical to 2:3 which can often seem overlong at the top and bottom.

I really like my Pentax, and I love the lenses. But as it is right now I'd be foolish to sell my D810, which is a rock solid workhorse when it comes to a wedding environment. I prefer using the K-1 when it comes to the images I get, but I can't rely on it in the same way. Hopefully we'll see some of this stuff addressed in a future K-2. I really couldn't care less about the newer sensors. I'm assuming it will have a 47mp chip, sounds great for scanning, but IMO we're beyond the needs of most photographers even at 36.

P.S. I don't see any reason why Pentax shouldn't rehouse the Limited FF primes in an SDM body. It would be a bit more interesting than playing me-too to Sigma's line up by way of Tokina.
If I were looking for a wedding camera, or mainly an events camera, the K1 K1mkII wouldn't be in the top 5 cameras. That's just the way it is. It's a workhorse for me, as is my 645Z, but I wasn't expecting them to be that kind of camera. I have used my K1(U) for events, and it worked fine. I have also used it in low light settings next to a 5DmkIV, and I found the Pentax's AF to be far more "sure". It locked on more than the Canon.

My top need for both cameras is much better tethering, far and away. And I feel that that's more in the use-case wheelhouse of both cameras. After that, for the Z, maybe PS and/or IBIS---but PS first. For the K1? I'll need to think on that.
08-25-2019, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

ISO 50 would be nice!

08-25-2019, 12:27 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I may be showing my age, but the K2 was a film camera much loved by those lucky enough. If there is to be a new Pentax FF, let it be the K-1 MkIII.
08-25-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

My wish list would be that my two K2s would work. Both have failed shutters and can't be repaired.

As to a D810, how good is its pixel shift?
08-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For me, I'd just like to see an option for Pixel Shift shots to be saved as a TIFF file with all 4 shots already blended together. Yeah it may be a much bigger file, processing it may be a couple seconds longer, but there would be more photo editor options to choose from to import & edit them.

08-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I may be showing my age, but the K2 was a film camera much loved by those lucky enough. If there is to be a new Pentax FF, let it be the K-1 MkIII.
It’s also the second-highest mountain in the world.

I know what you mean by “much loved” though – I still have my K2 (the DMD version). Still, time moves on and Lancer was an Austin before it was a Mitsubishi, among many others. It’s probably preferable for a camera with a Pentax badge to be named K2 than someone else pinching the name. I note, though, that the OP called it a “K-2”, in keeping with the nomenclature for the K-1, which I’d prefer to K-1III, unless the next 35FF from Pentax is simply a tweaked K-1II, in which case K-1III might be better.

Nonetheless, a tweak of a tweak is probably the least desirable outcome in this Asahi Optical centenary year, so let’s hope it’s a significant model change deserving of the K-2 title.
08-25-2019, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Pentax already took care of #1 and #4 in the original version of the K-1. You can choose to have the four-way directional arrows move the AF point by default, or as you have your's set: adjust white balance, etc. When my K-1 arrived this was the first thing I changed in the settings. I move my AF point all the time, but rarely adjust the other settings.

Arrows on the grip would be great. As mentioned here I'd also vote for ISO 50. I had a couple items to add to your list, but now I can't remember the first item. The second thing is I want Pentax to bring back Power Zoom with zoom tracking. This would require lens development too, but I'd love a modern lens that automatically zooms in and out to keep a moving subject the same size like they had in the PZ-series cameras.

Edit: I remember my first wish. I want Pentax to add 1/24,000 shutter speed like on the KP.

Last edited by builttospill; 08-26-2019 at 10:38 AM.
08-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've said this in another post... there's only really 1-2 things I think I'd really want. K-1 is already an amazing camera:

1) Bigger RAW Buffer
During slower moments this is not a problem, even the 4FPS (Can I get 6-7fps though?) I can handle. But when I'm in the midst of fast action, I practically have to manage my shots. I swear it fills up 6-10 shots in (once again at a slower fps even). I don't think you should rely on spray-and-pray, but I really think that this scenario is really the only thing that Pentax just lags behind. You can really feel the difference when next to a Nikon user. He presses his shutter, you can just hear the pictures flying off. Doesn't have to wait or anything. You're almost forced to shoot JPEG, even then it kind of lags a bit. I almost never have this problem with my K-3 Raw Buffer (I truthfully think the buffer size in both are about the same, but 24 vs 36 cause it to fill up faster)

2) Auto-focus Continuous
Really not anything I care about too much. I continue to think that Pentax gets a bad rap in this department... but, with to support the above statement about spray-and-pray scenarios, the Auto-focus tracking needs some work. While I am shooting continuous and trying to track subject... God forbid that said subject tries and moves outside of my focal plane. The AF just doesn't keep up in this scenario. Single-shot, AF is more than capable, with just this one fatal flaw.

That's really pretty much it! Other fixes that would be nice but probably wouldn't do it for me or cause me to upgrade: Silent Shooting! (this is so convenient in my Panasonic g85 and a real game changer when shooting. Not having others hear you shooting is a big difference! I almost put this as the 3rd point above), Can I get that grey focus-peaking feature in the KP (why this is not a firmware update, not sure? I want it!), Live View Lag (I don't know if its just me, but I feel like the capabilities just fall significantly while using. The focusing is slower, it takes longer between shutter/taking picture... might just be me. Definitely not seemless), 3rd control wheel customization (A super nit-pick, especially when some cameras don't even have 2 let alone a 3rd... some of the options I find rather useless, or at least don't find having a switch available an advantage: Grid/SR/Crop. I don't know what I'd even replace it with, since it does seem to have everything I want), Better flash sync controls (Nikon has a much more in-depth ability to control flashes that are attached)...

Features I so don't care about: ISO whatever (on the low or high end, 50 = probably a growth area for me as I don't find myself shooting at 100 unless outside on a summer day) or 1 million = or whatever crazy number the KP goes up to. Its not usable), Video anything (if they can update it be nice to have, since its been the same since my K-5, but I rarely shoot video ever... what the g85 is for. If anything, I think it should only have it to take advantage of the headphone/mic jack. It seems like it was initially set up to be able to do much higher quality video)

All in all, I have very few complaints about the K-1. For roughly $1600 I challenge anyone to find something even in the ballpark... and now it can be had for $1000 or so. As far as being a STILLS camera, it is almost perfect, aside from the two things above (which really only rears it head during this one moment)
08-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I shot a wedding as the main photographer two years ago and my K1 made me suffer with missed focuses and terrible flash integration. If I shot weddings again as a pro, hands down I will go with Nikon. I love my K1 but not for weddings. I have recently invested into the Fuji ecosystem mostly for video but I am loving the still images too. But for ultimate image quality the K1 is my go to camera. For me, a better focusing system similar to Nikon is on top of the wish list for an improved K1/K2. Better video specs would be nice too. I am getting used to using touchscreen focus and trigger in the Fuji. It comes in handy in certain situations.

This camera buying business is so confusing. I have to put the breaks on buying more. Two weeks ago, I shot a friend's daughter's wedding as the fourth photographer in the event. I promised my friend I'll shoot the video since they did not have a videographer for the event. Fuji did great for the video. The only Pentax gear I brought with me was my FA 77. With an adapter on my Fuji X-T30, I got black and white shots of the day. My friend who is a top notch photographer with hundreds of weddings in his portfolio was crying once he saw the father/daughter dance images. So my Pentax delivered again... not with a Pentax body but with a Pentax lens. The FA limiteds are something else!

The pace of development has picked up and gone to dizzying heights. I hope Pentax is cooking up some big surprises.

Last edited by btnapa; 08-26-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: more text
08-27-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Some interesting ideas. We're all aware that AF is slower with Pentax, but not in a visible way with newer lenses, oftentimes, and the AF accuracy is among the best.

1) A proper dedicated AF point controller.
That's something I would love.

I agree that color mode should go in a menu, it's not something that's changed often. Even though not everyone shoots RAW.Filter modes are in the menus, where they don't bother anyone.

As for outdoors view setting, it's something that I use almost every day. Having a boost in brightness without compromising color accuracy is extremely valuable for me when outdoors. And when shooting astro/night scenes and wanting to see the colors (hence no red light mode) I often dial the brightness down.

5) MOAR crop modes. Every camera is like this, especially mirrorless. I love that Pentax has a 1:1, but I'd also love to see 4:3 and 4:5 modes.
Seeing as you claim to use only RAW, why do you care? You'll post-process the images anyway, and having more pixels available to control your final crop is useful.
08-27-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO K-1 is pretty near perfect for static subjects. So long as I don’t need multiple successive bursts its fine. That said, a bigger buffer and faster bus would be necessary to make a competitive tracking AF system useful. And they wouldn’t hurt my style of shooting at all.
08-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Some interesting ideas. We're all aware that AF is slower with Pentax, but not in a visible way with newer lenses, oftentimes, and the AF accuracy is among the best.

Seeing as you claim to use only RAW, why do you care? You'll post-process the images anyway, and having more pixels available to control your final crop is useful.
All my current glass is screw drive. I know I gotta upgrade at some point but Ricoh is a bit slow to release new primes I'm super interested in. I think people buy Pentax because they like 'different.' I wish Pentax would stick to that ethos and either re-house or modernize the concept of the 31/43/77. I love the old ones because they work so well on my LX and MZ-S. But a new 43/1.4 or 31/1.4 would be welcome if you ask me. You can get a good to great 50 or 28 for any system.

Re crop modes, on an individual level yes custom cropping after is fine. But expand to a full session where you may have hundreds of images, and you want to crop each one to 4:3. If you can't preview the crop in the VF with perfect precision, you can't just tell LR to do it in batch. The adjustment times take too long. If I know I will be using a specific aspect ratio when I'm shooting, it's so much faster to just do it in camera. If I had my druthers camera sensors would be square, so you could crop to any format without rotating the camera. Victor Hasselblad was right IMO.
08-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Originally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
1) A proper dedicated AF point controller.
That's something I would love.
Well, you're in luck because it's already here. It's been here since the K-1 was released.
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Pentax already took care of #1 and #4 in the original version of the K-1. You can choose to have the four-way directional arrows move the AF point by default, or as you have your's set: adjust white balance, etc. When my K-1 arrived this was the first thing I changed in the settings. I move my AF point all the time, but rarely adjust the other settings.
From page 53 in the K-1 manual:
You can select the button operation when changing the focusing area in [20 Change AF Point Button] of the C3 menu.
Type 1: Switches the function of the arrow keys to the AF point change mode or the direct key operation mode when [Change AF Point/Card slot switch button] is pressed.
Type 2: Switches the function of the arrow keys to the direct key operation mode only when [Change AF Point/Card slot switch button] is pressed.