Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 05:01 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1 and Kirk Tuck

Over at The Visual Science Lab/Kirk Tuck, he has several posts re:his choice of the Pentax K1. Kirk's posts are always interesting, worth a look!

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Just to add a little chaos to the beginning of the week, here's why I like the Pentax K-1.

09-20-2019, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically, Kirk approaches the K-1 as a craftsman would a new and worthy tool.
09-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Basically, Kirk approaches the K-1 as a craftsman would a new and worthy tool.
I agree. He is using the K1 as his "art" system. It looks like he is a Fuji guy who took a liking to Pentax K1. K1 is indeed a beast.
09-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I agree. He is using the K1 as his "art" system. It looks like he is a Fuji guy who took a liking to Pentax K1. K1 is indeed a beast.
True, here's a bit of an exchange from the comments section:

QuoteQuote:
September 17, 2019 at 3:34 PM
Unknown said...

Sooner or later to appear at the Precision Camera Used Dept: Fuji cameras and lenses.
September 17, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Kirk Tuck, Photographer/Writer said...

Unknown. No way!!!!!!! Can't do decent video with a Pentax. Can't shoot quick enough (no pre-chimping with EVF). Can't shoot theatre with it because you can't gauge quick light and color changes. Can't get the lenses I want the most. And it's too damn big and heavy to travel with. Pentax for fun and studio portraits the Fujis for everything else. If anything goes back on the shelf it'll be the Pentax....maybe in order to pay for several of the new Fuji X-Pro-3 cameras soon to hit the market.

09-21-2019, 09:36 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I disagree with some of Kirk's views but had to chuckle when he referred to DPReview as "photography's effete, millennial saturated (dis)information commerce site....".
09-21-2019, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a note here. Kirk has several blog entries about his K1 adventures. If you do a "Pentax K1" search of the blog you well may be surprised. I have had the K1 since introduction and have been very happy with it's performance.
09-23-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
True, here's a bit of an exchange from the comments section:
Sadly, I have to agree with his assessment of the Pentax system. I have chosen Fuji as my "video" camera but I am increasingly doing all my photo work too with the Fuji. Pentax K1 will remain my "medium format" camera until I can afford the Fuji GFX 100. I am sad to see Pentax increasingly falling behind. I drooled over Asahi cameras throughout my high school years. I could never afford one. And that was some 45 years ago. Now that I can afford to buy cameras and make them pay for themselves, nostalgia can go but so far. I need certain functionalities that are absent from the Pentax system. I have thought about putting my K1 and my entire Pentax system (two bodies and some 10-12 lenses) on the chopping block but can't bring myself to do it. So for now Pentax lives on the shelves for limited assignment use and the comfort of knowing that I could finally have my Asahi cameras!

09-23-2019, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax K1 will remain my "medium format" camera until I can afford the Fuji GFX 100.
Have you tried its EVF?

I have and found the experience to be horrible.
It stutters when you engage the AF.

I don't like looking at an artificial rendering of the scene to begin with but even the better EVFs introduce further distractions like dynamic resolution loss, dynamic frame rate loss, smearing, etc.

The viewfinder experience may not matter to you and if so, or if you are just not fazed by current EVF technology, that's fine. For me personally, current EVFs are an absolute showstopper because I don't want to suffer during the photographic process with the final images being the only thing that counts. I want to enjoy making images as well.
09-24-2019, 03:45 AM   #9
Unregistered User

I've been wrestling with the K-1 a good bit lately. This one had to be sent back for repair under warranty because there was some malady with respect to its innards - the distance between the viewfinder and the lens wasn't the same as the distance from the lens to the focal plane, and the same problem, though inverted as to front/back focus, with live view autofocus. So Precision did a great job solving that problem, and right quick, too. I have to say, though, I've had problems on two occasions with Ricoh refusing to authorize repair in what I saw as appropriate warranty issues - in one case (with a lens I'd bought from them directly) I ended up cancelling the credit card transaction at my bank and shipping the lens back. Further irritation (though not Ricoh's fault) due to "sharp business practices" by B&H and Adorama.

Then I installed the aftermarket focusing screen. That takes a good bit of painstaking surgery and multiple iterations of testing and adjusting. And I find I don't really like the K-1 as much as I do the KP.

So, yesterday, I tried hard not to like Pentax. On the strength of what's been written here already, I decided to research Fujifilm's offerings. No good, they're all "mirrorless", and I really need the TTL optical viewfinder of a single-lens reflex. (Isn't it interesting how we still define that class of camera by distinction from the geared double-lens Leica of the early 1900's?)

Still thinking I might do better, I went to CameraDecision.com and used their "smart finder" tool. I checked all the boxes of the way my ideal camera should work, and after I'd gotten them all done, I scrolled up to see the one, single entry that the "finder" found for me as meeting my criteria. Guess. The K-1!!! Who'da thunk it?

While I was there, I searched for lenses as well. I've got a vacancy at the super wide angle niche. (I mostly use FF lenses on both APS-C and FF cameras.) So I've got an Irix 11mm, which I love, which does about 20 or so mm FoV on the APS-C sensor. (I mostly use the KP for telephoto, though, anyway.) I also have a 24-70mm which gives me a minimum of about 36mm FoV on the KP. So I'm looking for something in a FF lens that will give me the effect on the APS-C sensor in between 20mm and 36mm. So I used the "smart lens finder" tool, plugged in all my desires for the ideal lens, and it popped back up with the HD D FA 15-30mm F2.8. So you know what I'll be buying when "black friday" rolls around.

While researching, I naturally looked at things like the Nikon D850, Canon's stuff, etc. What I found was that they don't have qualities I want and cost a lot more.

I'm finding it hard not to like Pentax.
09-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The viewfinder experience may not matter to you
It is interesting for you to mention the EVF feature. The first EVF I ever tried was a Sony A7 a few years ago and I hated it. I do not know about the GFX100 EVF but my X-T2 and the X-T30 EVFs are OK, not great just OK. I like my K1 OVF but can't deny all the advantages of an EVF. For most tripod mounted work such as landscapes, I use the rear LCD anyway and the touchscreen comes in real handy in the X-T30. I have stopped wishing Pentax would give us this and that feature. I love my K1 and use it for situations that call for very hi-res images, for everything else (video, casual stills) I adopted and use Fuji X cameras. So I have to get used to EVFs which I think are the future anyway.
09-24-2019, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, I have to agree with his assessment of the Pentax system. I have chosen Fuji as my "video" camera but I am increasingly doing all my photo work too with the Fuji. Pentax K1 will remain my "medium format" camera until I can afford the Fuji GFX 100. I am sad to see Pentax increasingly falling behind. I drooled over Asahi cameras throughout my high school years. I could never afford one. And that was some 45 years ago. Now that I can afford to buy cameras and make them pay for themselves, nostalgia can go but so far. I need certain functionalities that are absent from the Pentax system. I have thought about putting my K1 and my entire Pentax system (two bodies and some 10-12 lenses) on the chopping block but can't bring myself to do it. So for now Pentax lives on the shelves for limited assignment use and the comfort of knowing that I could finally have my Asahi cameras!
Oh, Boris, you do so like to point out how unhappy you are with your Pentax equipment. My suggestion: Sell what you don't like and move on. To read, over, and over, in these pages how deeply unhappy you are makes me wonder if you have masochistic tendencies? Let it go mate. Head over to the Marketplace and rid yourself of your Pentax gear.

The more you carry on, the more I think you're trolling us.
09-24-2019, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kirk made an interesting blog post about theater lighting (and using the K1). Good info for whatever tool you are using.

And just in case you think that he just recently found Pentax
https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/search?q=yellow+pentax+camera

Last edited by Ray Cox; 09-24-2019 at 07:30 PM.
09-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oh, Boris, you do so like to point out how unhappy you are with your Pentax equipment. My suggestion: Sell what you don't like and move on. To read, over, and over, in these pages how deeply unhappy you are makes me wonder if you have masochistic tendencies? Let it go mate. Head over to the Marketplace and rid yourself of your Pentax gear.

The more you carry on, the more I think you're trolling us.
I don't think so. I think you should mind your own business. As a moderator you should moderate and not name call people. This is a forum for people to share info freely and if need be say stuff that you may not agree with. As far as my Pentax gear, I think I am going to hang on to every last bit of it. Just so you know, I went back and counted my Pentax gear just to be sure. There are two digital (used to be four) and three film bodies, 7 modern AF and 10 manual lenses. If you read this post and all my other posts, I love my Pentax system. If you want to censor people because they are not singing your tune then so be it. Until then I am going to say what is on my mind and you can keep your personal attacks and judgmental opinions to yourself...mate.
09-25-2019, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think so. I think you should mind your own business. As a moderator you should moderate and not name call people. This is a forum for people to share info freely and if need be say stuff that you may not agree with. As far as my Pentax gear, I think I am going to hang on to every last bit of it. Just so you know, I went back and counted my Pentax gear just to be sure. There are two digital (used to be four) and three film bodies, 7 modern AF and 10 manual lenses. If you read this post and all my other posts, I love my Pentax system. If you want to censor people because they are not singing your tune then so be it. Until then I am going to say what is on my mind and you can keep your personal attacks and judgmental opinions to yourself...mate.
I'm a member like you. As such, I'm perfectly entitled to call out your negativity. I'm not censoring you - quite the contrary. So, my question to you is not a Moderation question, but a query from one Pentax user to another: I do wonder what joy you get from your Pentax gear? Genuine question!

For instance:

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa:
baba_yaga, right on. You articulated my thoughts perfectly. I used to recommend Pentax to people who asked for a camera to buy. I stopped that a while ago. In all good conscious, I cannot recommend a system that has lost its way. I have no idea what Pentax execs are thinking in Japan. I can see one thing clearly though, they are doing a great job of sending a legend to its grave. What a shame. The dance started a few years ago and it is getting to its painful finale!
I hate to say this but as a pro you need a system that is properly supported. As much as I like my K1 and other Pentax cameras and lenses, if I shot full time again, I will be looking at other systems.
I need certain functionalities that are absent from the Pentax system.
I shot a wedding as the main photographer two years ago and my K1 made me suffer with missed focuses and terrible flash integration. If I shot weddings again as a pro, hands down I will go with Nikon.
Well stated. I for one am tired of the Pentax secrecy and corporate cat-n-mouse game.
I am about to jump ship because of lack of some basic lenses and features that are given on most other systems.
But then, you've also said this:

I had decided that I would sell my K1, my FA limited and other lenses. Essentially I was going to leave the Pentax DSLR system. I got into the Fuji system mainly for my video projects and liked the still quality too. I was going to keep the Fuji as my everyday camera and possibly get the 645Z for my fine art and landscape work. At the end, I just could not bring myself to let my K1 go. It is just as much of a beast today as it was when it was released almost four years ago. Given the quality of the K1, I think it is a damn good alternative to 645Z.
And:

As @clackers called it, if you are happy with APSc image quality, stay with Fuji. If you want to step up to an FF sensor with higher image quality, then a K1 is a bargain priced camera that has no equal. I have owned many Canon FF cameras and shot Nikons too. No Canon can match the K1 and Nikon can match it at higher priced bodies. y.
So, maybe not quite ready to give up on Pentax yet? Or, is it that you have changed your mind, based upon your most recent posts?
09-25-2019, 03:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
Over at The Visual Science Lab/Kirk Tuck, he has several posts re:his choice of the Pentax K1. Kirk's posts are always interesting, worth a look!

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Just to add a little chaos to the beginning of the week, here's why I like the Pentax K-1.
Thanks for posting this link. What a nice write-up. (What I came here to post, before I got distracted)