Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Pentax K1-II lightroom tether not working - on one computer

I'm a long-time user of Lightroom tether with my K1-II. It works fine on my macbook pro... but doesn't work on my iMac.

I have downloaded the latest plug in, and I don't think there's any issues with my camera settings, because it works fine currently on my laptop. All software is up to date.

Any suggestions for what it could be?

10-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Any suggestions for what it could be?
USB issues? What happens if you attach the camera to the iMac outside of Lightroom?

Steve
10-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the good news is, it is not your camera. Use the same cabl. Have you tried different USB ports on your iMAC?
10-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
Same cable. LR actually recognises that there is a Pentax K1 Mark II connected when I start tether, but the red 'card reading' light on the K1 stays on and I can't take photos at all.

Like I said, switch the same thing over to my laptop and it works perfectly.

10-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #5

Did it work before on your iMac?
Are you using a usb hub?
Sounds like a power problem from the usb side. Like Vasyl suggested, try a different port without any hub in between. I think the first two ports on the Mac from the right have more power. Try those. If you can use a shorter cable try this one too.
10-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxrookie Quote
Did it work before on your iMac?
Are you using a usb hub?
Sounds like a power problem from the usb side. Like Vasyl suggested, try a different port without any hub in between. I think the first two ports on the Mac from the right have more power. Try those. If you can use a shorter cable try this one too.
Has never worked on my Imac. I'll try different USB ports, good suggestion.

Shorter cable might speed up data transfer time, but the issue is that it's not working at all.
10-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

How old is the mac? Maybe the ports have not enough power at all?
If the usb cable is too long, it will lose power. I am using the ones from tether tools which have a signal enhancer every 1.5 meters or so.

10-09-2019, 01:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxrookie Quote
How old is the mac? Maybe the ports have not enough power at all?
If the usb cable is too long, it will lose power. I am using the ones from tether tools which have a signal enhancer every 1.5 meters or so.
It's an 27'' Imac 5k, I guess 2018 or 2017 model year. Haven't had time to do the retest.

I"m also using one of the orange tether tools usb cables, not sure if my one has any kind of signal enhancer.
10-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Shorter cable might speed up data transfer time, but the issue is that it's not working at all.
The light on the camera is lit, indicating that connection is made, but the fact that it stays lit indicates a driver failure of some sort or poor data transfer. Power should not be an issue (camera supplies its own), though the connections might be. You might want to make things easier by taking Lightroom out of the loop.

Steve
10-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #10

Probably what Steve said but it is interesting that it works with your macbook. Strange. I would look inside Lightroom which driver is in place or if there are two, uninstall it from there, reboot and install it again. The Windows way. 😎
10-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you try powering it off and on? (Sorry could not resist - I am a fan of "The IT Crowd" the British comedy series)
10-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Did you try powering it off and on? (Sorry could not resist - I am a fan of "The IT Crowd" the British comedy series)
Be sure and unplug it too and leave it until morning.

Steve