Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K 5 II and then added a K 3 and then added the K 3 II getting rid of the K 5 II

why

the price of the K 3 II plus battery grip it was on sale and had full warranty

I usually take good vacations and am worried about a camera failure while on a trip - especially due to the fact you can't just walk into a brick and mortar store and find Pentax

if I am trying for wildlife, it is nice to have two set ups readily available

as far as price - I'm no expert but if "experienced " equipment without warranty is acceptable, I would keep an eye on the forum's marketplace { buy/sell )

the US area is very active and perhaps it might be possible to have something shipped to Canada from the US

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-09-2019 at 02:48 PM.
11-09-2019, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the film days I always had 2 LX bodies, why not do the same in the digital age........ it's only money
11-09-2019, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Back in the film days I always had 2 LX bodies, why not do the same in the digital age........ it's only money
I agree. He should use an LX as the backup.
11-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

More than body is nice to have. Ask me, I currently have four and I am on the lookout for number five.

That said, $1400 is a very steep price for a used K1. Make an offer or shop around some more.

11-09-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've never understood the purpose of using a different format as a backup camera. The backup of my K1 is a K1 II, if my K1 needs repair I can send it for repair and keep shooting with the K1 II with the lens lenses, for me it would make no sense to use a K70 with full frame lenses as the FoV would be completely different.

If you are looking for a backup body to your K1 II, get a K1.
I have always used my previous "Primary" camera as my "Backup" camera. I have never purchased a camera just to be a "Backup".
11-09-2019, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Well, for one thing, a person might other uses for money!!
11-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

But two is more. If one K-1 is good, then surely two is better because it's more.

11-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sounds like you got the second k1?

---------- Post added 11-09-19 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
The attraction of a K-70 or KP as the second body is that they are smaller and lighter, so better suited for a lot of walking around while traveling or hiking. They also give you a little more reach for telephoto wildlife shots.
This also. Personally if I take a second body, I like the extra reach of my K-70 for different compositions.
11-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
then surely two is better because it's more
Then logically you should get 11 cameras, because it's more
11-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was thinking about this the other day myself. My use case is a little different but close. I was thinking about a second body for astro/nightscape because I am getting into shooting timelapses of the night sky, as well as some night sky objects like the Andromeda. I could set my K-1 up to do milkyway time lapses and then use a K3-ii with astrotracer for the little extra reach and deeper objects. Seemed like a good combo. I was always forget which models have astrotracer, but I suppose another model with the GPS unit would work as well. I rarely get to get out to a good place for shooting astrophotography, so I wanted to take full advantage of it - if one camera is doing a timelapse, then why not have something else to mess around with?

The added bonus, as others have pointed out here, is that you get a capable body that is smaller, lighter, and has extra reach if that's useful to you in other scenarios.

I don't make money with my photos, I don't even take good photos half the time because I am just messing around. That's what I enjoy about photography. So, keep that in mind with my response. I could see the value in keeping two bodies that are identical in other situations as well.
11-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I would favor a KP if your set of lenses can support it. If interested in APSC as a back up, you always have the option of waiting for K-new as its price shouldnt be so far from 1400 USD
11-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #27

Original Poster
Well I did some checking on ebay, Kijji and the like. It turns out that 1400 usd is about the fair market value for a used K1 and most of the ones that I saw had a much high shutter count than 2400. While it may not be the best deal on a K1 it is the only one close to me that is this lightly used. I don’t think he will come down in price (my local camera store) but he might be willing to give me a deal on the camera and some of those fisheye lens from the same estate.

There is also a 28mm f3.5 Pentax tilt and shift lens for about 900 usd which looks interesting but I don’t think I have a use for that. I have all MF vintage lens (that is one of the many things that attracted me to Pentax) so any dslr will work. They did let me take the K1 and test it today and it seems in very good condition.

It got me thinking about a side by side mount (adm accessories) with 2 K1’s on my friend’s eq mount shooting wide field double subs like there is no tomorrow. The other idea of shooting time lapse and specific targets has crossed my mind as well.

This is quickly becoming one of those deals that regardless of the price if I don’t go for it , I will never be happy with anything else. (I know it sounds crazy)

Mike
11-09-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Owning a K-1 is on my bucket list, but I can't justify the asking price.

I can only wonder why there isn't a lower cost 24MP full frame in the Pentax lineup.
11-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Owning a K-1 is on my bucket list, but I can't justify the asking price.

I can only wonder why there isn't a lower cost 24MP full frame in the Pentax lineup.

You know.....If they realeased a 16MP low-light monster FF for $999....people would pay attention
11-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian

a used 645d isn't that much more money! i have a k-1 and k-3, it would be hard to go back to only one camera now... especially since you can get a k-3 under $400 if you're patient.