Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
sculptor666;4804627]a used 645d isn't that much more money!
Where do you guys shop? I have not seen any used Pentax K1 for much under 1400 usd, or a 645 for anywhere near that. While they might show up in the buy/sell it would have to be near me so I can see and test the camera before I purchase it. How long do you guys usually wait for a deal to come along. I have checked keh, ebay, kijiji and amazon is there another site I should be looking at?

Mike

11-10-2019, 02:36 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have always used my previous "Primary" camera as my "Backup" camera. I have never purchased a camera just to be a "Backup".
Ah that's good to know. I've also done the same.
11-10-2019, 04:02 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think using a K-1 and K-1 II together makes sense. The problem with APS-C as a back up is that it will seldom be used. I own a K3 and K-01 and a K-1 and K-1 II. I force myself to take out the APS-C cameras sometimes (mainly because I want to use my DA limiteds), but my preference is always for the full frame cameras.

The whole "extra reach" thing isn't really important for many styles of shooting and isn't really a big factor anyway since you can crop a K-1 image to 15-ish megapixels with an APS-C crop. Regardless, good luck on your decision!
11-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I agree. He should use an LX as the backup.
lol well played sir

11-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #35
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I bought a second K1 .... one always with the DFA 150-450 on it and one for a few shortish primes. Works well.... sorta a first world issue though.
So's clean running water. I, for one, am very grateful "for all the blessings of this life".

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
When you forget where you last put your camera... it does cut the time finding one in half.
Funny, though, how you always find what you're looking for in the last place you'd think to look for it. (And that's because once you've found it, you stop looking.)
11-10-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Well, for one thing, a person might other uses for money!!
Step one: Acquire more money. Step two: Buy more cameras. Step three: Happy.
11-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think using a K-1 and K-1 II together makes sense. The problem with APS-C as a back up is that it will seldom be used. I own a K3 and K-01 and a K-1 and K-1 II. I force myself to take out the APS-C cameras sometimes (mainly because I want to use my DA limiteds), but my preference is always for the full frame cameras.

The whole "extra reach" thing isn't really important for many styles of shooting and isn't really a big factor anyway since you can crop a K-1 image to 15-ish megapixels with an APS-C crop. Regardless, good luck on your decision!
16mp to 24mp is still a good difference I find. I like a crop as a second body for that. Lighter too

11-12-2019, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #38

Original Poster
Well the CFO thinks and second FF body is a great idea!! So we are good to go!!

Mike
11-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've never understood the purpose of using a different format as a backup camera. The backup of my K1 is a K1 II, if my K1 needs repair I can send it for repair and keep shooting with the K1 II with the lens lenses, for me it would make no sense to use a K70 with full frame lenses as the FoV would be completely different.
I totally agree.
11-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
Where do you guys shop? I have not seen any used Pentax K1 for much under 1400 usd, or a 645 for anywhere near that. While they might show up in the buy/sell it would have to be near me so I can see and test the camera before I purchase it. How long do you guys usually wait for a deal to come along. I have checked keh, ebay, kijiji and amazon is there another site I should be looking at?

Mike
I saw a 645D for 1350 EUR last week.
Many smaller, local sites, sell second hand gear.
11-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #41

Original Poster
My second K1 has made it home today. I have a 75/150 f4 on the K1 and 28/f2.8 on the K1 mkii. I former owner of the K1 was and elderly gentlemen who did not shoot much this last 2

years. The shutter count was 2453, he had 15,000 on k7 and k10 before he bought the K1. The camera is in great shape as you would expect and I have been out shooting today. It was

great with 2 bodies and 2 lens loaded and ready to go. Next week when I am off for a couple of days, astro time lapse and some tracked subs. The pic was taken with my Fuji X70.

Mike
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X70  Photo 
11-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

My second K1 has made it home today. I have a 75/150 f4 on the K1 and 28/f2.8 on the K1 mkii. I former owner of the K1 was and elderly gentlemen who did not shoot much this last 2

years. The shutter count was 2453, he had 15,000 on k7 and k10 before he bought the K1. The camera is in great shape as you would expect and I have been out shooting today. It was

great with 2 bodies and 2 lens loaded and ready to go. Next week when I am off for a couple of days, astro time lapse and some tracked subs. The pic was taken with my Fuji X70.

Mike
I'm trying to figure out why the MkII looks bigger in that pic....I was under the impression they were exact same bodies?
11-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is an old saying. Two is one and one is none. When I travel I always take a minimum of two cameras and use them both. If I were to take my K3 with me too it would be relegated to backup and packed in a separate bag with appropriate lenses.

Currently I own a K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. The last time I went to Yellowstone I only took the two K1's. One usually had the D FA 150-450 and the other usually the D FA 28-105. i did take a slew of other lenses though just in case. The new APSc camera will have to huge step up in the area AF and write speed if I am going to purchase it. Right now my K3 is rarely used and my K5-IIs is pretty much neglected. I also had a K5 but that is no longer in my possession.

I don't look at the second body as a backup. Separate camera with different a lens attached. Changing lenses can be a tricky time. Lower odds of a mishap and less chance of dirt of moisture getting in your camera.
11-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #44
Pentaxian

While I don’t specifically need another FF camera I am not sure I will be able to resist. There is a K3 for sale as well for about half the cost that looks interesting as well. They want $1400 usd including tax for the K1 with a 2400 shutter count.
I see what you guys are saying a K3 is not a back up for a K1 mkii.
I love my K-3 and it has served me well for many years, however, there is no way it compares to a K-1 for what you have in mind. Noise is in another category, the K-1 will have spoiled you. The K-3 is a better camera for fast bursts, longer reach, etc.
11-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
There is an old saying. Two is one and one is none. When I travel I always take a minimum of two cameras and use them both. If I were to take my K3 with me too it would be relegated to backup and packed in a separate bag with appropriate lenses.

Currently I own a K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. The last time I went to Yellowstone I only took the two K1's. One usually had the D FA 150-450 and the other usually the D FA 28-105. i did take a slew of other lenses though just in case. The new APSc camera will have to huge step up in the area AF and write speed if I am going to purchase it. Right now my K3 is rarely used and my K5-IIs is pretty much neglected. I also had a K5 but that is no longer in my possession.

I don't look at the second body as a backup. Separate camera with different a lens attached. Changing lenses can be a tricky time. Lower odds of a mishap and less chance of dirt of moisture getting in your camera.
That's what I've been saying. A smaller crop body, or even M4/3rds one can work great as a second camera. NOT A BACKUP! A second FF can be nice but even more weight