Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A major problem would be one that affects a large percentage of users and this one has only a couple of reports.

11-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
If you are shooting in Single Shot mode what you may be experiencing is Early Shutter Penalty as described in the Performance section of Imaging-Resources K-1MKII review.

This is a major problem shooting the K-1 in Single-Shot mode.
yeah, not in single shot mode. I usually shot in multiple shot - high mode (not sure officially how it was named ).
11-27-2019, 02:44 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The reason I brought it up to the OP is what they described sounds exactly like the Early Shutter Penalty problem in Single Shot mode.
His problem was he was using CIF and AF.
11-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
A major problem would be one that affects a large percentage of users and this one has only a couple of reports.
It is a major problem because it affects 100% of K-1's whether the users are aware of it or not.

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 10:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
His problem was he was using CIF and AF.
The user until now didn't say whether or not they were using Single Shot mode which is why I brought up the Early Shutter Penalty problem as what they described was happening i.e. pressing the shutter release and nothing happens is the affect of Early Shutter Penalty.

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 10:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
yeah, not in single shot mode. I usually shot in multiple shot - high mode (not sure officially how it was named ).
Be aware then if and when you do use single shot mode and sometimes when you press the shutter button and the shutter doesn't release it's the affect of the Early Shutter Penalty of the K-1.

11-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a major problem because it affects 100% of K-1's whether the users are aware of it or not.
If 99% of K1 users have no issue with this perceived problem, then by definition , it cannot be a problem.

I have been on this and other Pentax forums for years, as have you. I cannot remember seeing this issue raised once. Can you point to some threads on the issue ?
11-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If 99% of K1 users have no issue with this perceived problem, then by definition , it cannot be a problem.

I have been on this and other Pentax forums for years, as have you. I cannot remember seeing this issue raised once. Can you point to some threads on the issue ?
It is not a "perceived" problem. I experience this problem every time I use my K-1. I don't have to point to any thread to validate what I experience. I raised this issue here at PF when I first purchased my K-1 were I was told by users that I am not using the camera properly when it turns out that it has nothing to do with how I use the camera but is a drawback with the camera itself. I went from the K-5 which does not suffer from Early Shutter Penalty to the K-1 so I noticed it right away.

Whether you want to acknowledge this limitation of the K-1 or not it exists. I pointed to the review of the K-1MKII at Imagine-Resources where they point it out to avoid this very issue of people jumping in claiming somehow I am making something up. The Early Shutter Penalty problem of the K-1 isn't something I am claiming it is a matter of fact i.e. not my opinion. Whether 99% of people using the K-1 realize it or not the K-1 suffers from Early Shutter Penalty. It may explain to some user who do shoot in Single Shot mode why the K-1 often doesn't release the shutter when you press the shutter button while shooting consecutive images. I didn't understand what was happening until I finally saw the Imagining-Resource review explaining exactly what was causing the problem I was experiencing. It wasn't what I was doing it was a limitation of the camera.
11-27-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whether you want to acknowledge this limitation of the K-1 or not it exists
I would like to see some evidence that it affects more than just your camera and the camera tested by image resources.

You described it as a "major problem". As far as I can tell it has affected two cameras.

11-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It was interesting to read about this "penalty" for pressing the shutter release too quickly after taking an image. Especially because I ONLY use single-shot mode. I have never missed a shot or even noticed this was an issue in my K-1 mk ii. Yes, the K-1's speed doesn't compare to the responsiveness of the K10D, but there are a lot more things going on behind the scenes in a K-1.

Rico, might I suggest making a slight adjustment to your workflow? If I know I'm going to need a succession of quick shots I don't release the half-press on my shutter release button. This allows me to take as many photos as I want by just completing the full press on the button. This only becomes a problem if my subject moves out of the depth of field and I need to let go of the button to refocus.
12-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I would like to see some evidence that it affects more than just your camera and the camera tested by image resources.

You described it as a "major problem". As far as I can tell it has affected two cameras.
pschlute if you own a K-1 it suffers from Early Shutter penalty. It's as simple as that.

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
It was interesting to read about this "penalty" for pressing the shutter release too quickly after taking an image. Especially because I ONLY use single-shot mode. I have never missed a shot or even noticed this was an issue in my K-1 mk ii. Yes, the K-1's speed doesn't compare to the responsiveness of the K10D, but there are a lot more things going on behind the scenes in a K-1.

Rico, might I suggest making a slight adjustment to your workflow? If I know I'm going to need a succession of quick shots I don't release the half-press on my shutter release button. This allows me to take as many photos as I want by just completing the full press on the button. This only becomes a problem if my subject moves out of the depth of field and I need to let go of the button to refocus.
buittospill it is a real thing this Early Shutter Penalty. It causes me to miss images all the time. I am never half pressing. 99% of the time all my parameters are set were all I have to do is press the shutter. No focusing etc. Unfortunately in single shot mode the adjustment to my workflow has been a lot of missed images not necessarily that it misfires every time but knowing to keep it from misfiring I can not press the shutter to fast which results in missed opportunities of its own.

But in general when ever I use my K-1 I manage to trip up the Early Shutter Penalty. I am only ever trying to take 3 images in succession. What I was used to with every other Pentax DSLR I had owned before the K-1 getting those three images was 123. The K-1 is more like 1..2..3.
12-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pschlute if you own a K-1 it suffers from Early Shutter penalty. It's as simple as that.
Should I take it in to get it repaired ?
12-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I am never half pressing.
Hi Rico. This is the change in your workflow I am suggesting: half-press.

Each time you release the shutter button and press it again, your K-1 attempts to focus. If you are missing shots you should try holding your half press. When you fully depress the button an image is immediately taken without the focus system engaging. After the exposure is complete, return to a half press without letting the shutter release button come all the way up. As long as your subject isn't moving outside the pre-focused depth of field, you won't miss any more shots.

Another way to describe this technique makes sense if you have been trained to shoot semiautomatic handguns. I was used to competing in long-distance, single shot rifle events where you shoot once and remove your finger from the trigger. It took a lot of handgun training classes to get my hands used to pressing the trigger and releasing it until the trigger catches for the next shot. If you release the trigger all the way there is slack in the trigger take-up and finding where it catches either takes time, or causes a shooter to lose aim due to sloppy trigger pulls.

Last edited by builttospill; 12-02-2019 at 07:03 PM.
12-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you still have this problem when using back button focus?
I always use BBF and don't recall ever experiencing what has been described.

Cheers,
Terry