Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,292
K1 shutter not responsively in manual focus mode?

Hi, attached a manual focus lens - Voigt 58 on my K1.
while in shooting session, it sometime not releasing shutter when pressed - I did check and see it is not busy writing data into SD card.
it's very frustrating to miss the moment I want to hit the shutter.

It shouldn't matter, but I did the following:
-changed the 'shutter release priority' in both Auto focus mode to "release priority" instead of "focus priority"
-switch to MF dial on the side of K1.

I am not even using LV.

Any idea? I haven't use Manual Focus lens for a while, did I missed to change some settings?

Thanks in Advance.

11-24-2019, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter
robgski's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
It is possible you have "Catch-In Focus" enabled, check your menus. Going from memory, once selected, this feature is enabled if using a manual lens but the focusing lever is still set to AF. Setting the lever to Manual should allow you to activate the shutter whenever you press the button

This is a very useful feature, IMO, but frustrating if you are not focusing fast enough to satisfy the camera's assessment of "in focus".
11-24-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,546
I can't say if the following holds for the K-1 with MF lenses. On my K10D when the camera is switched to MF the shutter will release without focus confirmation indicated (beep and hexagon symbol steady in viewfinder). In AF-S the shutter will only release with steady focus confirmation (beep and steady hex). Depending on the lens it is very difficult to get a steady "lock" as the slightest movement of the lens or focus ring will cause the camera to try reacquire focus confirmation (beep-beep-beep and hex flashing). Either practice to get a steadier hand, set the camera to MF and use your eye to focus, use catch-in-focus. You can also set one of the buttons to turn off AF while pressing the button. I use this for those vexing times when I can't seem to get a steady focus confirmation - faster than fumbling around to find the MF-AF switch.
11-24-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,719
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
On my K10D when the camera is switched to MF the shutter will release without focus confirmation indicated
The K1 is exactly the same. The OP is putting the camera into MF so it should work as you say....interesting conundrum.

11-24-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,040
Using electric shutter and flash by chance? I came across some quirky behaviour that required me to disable electronic shutter to overcome. I can
not recall specifics but that solved it.
11-24-2019, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,719
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Using electric shutter and flash by chance? I came across some quirky behaviour that required me to disable electronic shutter to overcome. I can
not recall specifics but that solved it.
The OP says he is not using LV so won't be using ES.

The ES mode and flash are mutually exclusive at all times.
11-24-2019, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,292
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
It is possible you have "Catch-In Focus" enabled, check your menus. Going from memory, once selected, this feature is enabled if using a manual lens but the focusing lever is still set to AF. Setting the lever to Manual should allow you to activate the shutter whenever you press the button

This is a very useful feature, IMO, but frustrating if you are not focusing fast enough to satisfy the camera's assessment of "in focus".
Thank you !

I did have Catch in Focus enabled and likely bump the AF/MF switch to AF. I will do some verification - but searching for Catch In Focus function on K1 help me understand where my issue likely come from.

Much appreciate!

Again, big thank you to everyone who response and help diagnose my issue.
11-25-2019, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,315
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thank you !

I did have Catch in Focus enabled and likely bump the AF/MF switch to AF. I will do some verification - but searching for Catch In Focus function on K1 help me understand where my issue likely come from.

Much appreciate!

Again, big thank you to everyone who response and help diagnose my issue.
Good to hear that was the issue and that you have it sorted!

11-25-2019, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian
dcpropilot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 770
This took me a little while to understand and get right when I first purchased my K-1. One follow up question though, is the Catch In Focus supposed to also work with AF lenses when the switch is set to MF?
11-25-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,719
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
One follow up question though, is the Catch In Focus supposed to also work with AF lenses when the switch is set to MF?
The answer to your question depends on which AF/MF switch you are talking about.

If you mean the one on the camera, then no that will not work.

If you mean the one on some AF lenses, then yes CIF does work. Put the lens switch to MF, the camera switch to AF , and you are set.
11-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,102
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hi, attached a manual focus lens - Voigt 58 on my K1.
while in shooting session, it sometime not releasing shutter when pressed
If you are shooting in Single Shot mode what you may be experiencing is Early Shutter Penalty as described in the Performance section of Imaging-Resources K-1MKII review.

This is a major problem shooting the K-1 in Single-Shot mode.
11-26-2019, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,719
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
This is a major problem shooting the K-1 in Single-Shot mode
I have been using the K1 since 2016 and have never encountered this once. Are there any threads on the issue ?
11-26-2019, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,102
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I have been using the K1 since 2016 and have never encountered this once. Are there any threads on the issue ?
I encounter this every time I use my K-1 in Single Shot mode since 2016 when I bought it.
11-26-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,932
Odd. I also have been using K-1 or K-1ii since 2016 and have never encountered the problem. That does not mean it doesn't happen but saying it is a major problem when only a few people have noticed it is a bit of an exaggeration.
11-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,102
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Odd. I also have been using K-1 or K-1ii since 2016 and have never encountered the problem. That does not mean it doesn't happen but saying it is a major problem when only a few people have noticed it is a bit of an exaggeration.
It's not odd. The K-1 suffers from the Early Shutter Penalty when shooting in Single Shot mode. I noticed this the first time I used the K-1 back in 2016. And it is a major problem for the K-1 in Single shot mode because it results in missed images. It happens whenever I use the K-1. Just because people haven't noticed it doesn't mean they haven't experienced it. Most likely they are not even aware of this problem in Single Shot mode.

The reason I brought it up to the OP is what they described sounds exactly like the Early Shutter Penalty problem in Single Shot mode.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, affect, button, focus, full-frame, images, k-1, k1, k1 shutter, lens, mode, penalty, pentax, post, press, release, shot, shutter, time, users, workflow
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Action Electronic shutter or manual shutter? K1 GUB Photographic Technique 30 10-10-2019 05:05 PM
K1 won't operate in Manual mode rbehrendt Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 05-29-2019 07:03 AM
K1 to K1 Mark II or not II Kingman Pentax K-1 39 03-07-2019 10:09 PM
K50 EV compensation defaults to -5 in Manual mode, but only in Manual agatchell Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 04-02-2018 07:30 PM
Manual mode not manual!? obsoquasi Pentax Medium Format 5 11-09-2014 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top