Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K and M lenses with the K-1. How well does it work out?

I've recently got back into Pentax via a LX and a group of K and M lenses that came my way. I've been shooting Nikon film (for decades) and full-frame digital (for several years) and using my manual focus glass is pretty much the same experience in both instances. I'm wondering how well the older manual focus K mount lenses work out on full frame Pentax?

12-04-2019, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps a look through the thread below will answer your questions.

Post your K-1 pics with vintage glasses - PentaxForums.com
12-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the K and M primes I have tried are still sharp stopped down a bit on the K-1 in my experience. Some are even pretty sharp wide open. Even flare control is pretty reasonable (certainly better than the earlier Takumars I have tried). Build, of course, is fantastic.
However some lenses to exhibit CA and purple fringing under some conditions - so you might need to correct that.
12-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They were great on APSC and even better on FF. IBIS and catch in focus are nice bonus features on Pentax bodies when playing with older lenses.

I been shooting mainly with M series primes for 3 years now.

If you're interested on how M series lenses work, you can check M club or look up individual lenses from lens sample photo archive.

12-04-2019, 12:32 PM - 10 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fiddlefye Quote
I've recently got back into Pentax via a LX and a group of K and M lenses that came my way. I've been shooting Nikon film (for decades) and full-frame digital (for several years) and using my manual focus glass is pretty much the same experience in both instances. I'm wondering how well the older manual focus K mount lenses work out on full frame Pentax?
Big fan of old glass here.

A few pics of the old stuff on the K1......

K 28mm f2.0 Hollywood

K 28mm 3.5

K 18mm 3.5

K 15mm 3.5
12-04-2019, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'm wondering how well the older manual focus K mount lenses work out on full frame Pentax?
Well pretty well is the short answer, but I must admit to preferring the A Series lenses, which negates the need of green button metering.
12-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use K- and M-series lenses frequently. They are just as usable as Nikon lenses from the same era. Optically some of them are very good. Irrespective of manufacturer lenses from this era sometimes show CA, which may need some post processing. One advantage of Pentax bodies is the green button function for semi-automatic exposure adjustment with manual lenses.

12-04-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Check lens ratings for K and M lenses for more details. In good condition old glass is fun to use.
12-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I was thinking initially of the functionality aspect, what the experience of using K and M lenses on the K-1 is actually like. I'm pretty familiar with the look of vintage glass on FF digital in the general sense and like how it works out.
12-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I guess I was thinking initially of the functionality aspect, what the experience of using K and M lenses on the K-1 is actually like.
The short answer is that you are limited to M, X, and B modes if you plan on shooting other than wide open.1 In M mode, stop-down metering is limited to center-weighted and spot.2 Shake reduction and most other camera functions remain intact.

The strategy is pure vintage. Meter the subject and use the same settings until either the light or the subject changes.

Steve

1 This restriction is common to all Pentax dSLRs. P, Sv, Tv, Av, and TAv modes all silently default over to Av mode, though with no ability to stop the lens down. All exposures are done wide-open.

2 Meter reliability/accuracy with the optical viewfinder may be compromised with readings either over or under expected. How much and direction of error depends on lens and set aperture. It should also be noted that the range of meter sensitivity applies to stop-down metering in that too little light (< LV100 -3) to the meter will result in gross under-exposure. Live view metering is generally reliable.
12-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The short answer is that you are limited to M, X, and B modes if you plan on shooting other than wide open.1 In M mode, stop-down metering is limited to center-weighted and spot.2 Shake reduction and most other camera functions remain intact.

The strategy is pure vintage. Meter the subject and use the same settings until either the light or the subject changes.

Steve

1 This restriction is common to all Pentax dSLRs. P, Sv, Tv, Av, and TAv modes all silently default over to Av mode, though with no ability to stop the lens down. All exposures are done wide-open.

2 Meter reliability/accuracy with the optical viewfinder may be compromised with readings either over or under expected. How much and direction of error depends on lens and set aperture. It should also be noted that the range of meter sensitivity applies to stop-down metering in that too little light (< LV100 -3) to the meter will result in gross under-exposure. Live view metering is generally reliable.
So one meters stopped down. Do I gather correctly that one would then have to open back up to focus and then stop back down to take the image, or would the camera close to the set aperture?
12-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I was thinking initially of the functionality aspect, what the experience of using K and M lenses on the K-1 is actually like. I'm pretty familiar with the look of vintage glass on FF digital in the general sense and like how it works out.
Pure joy

Prefer the experience of manual lenses over modern automatic lenses. I don't do any paid work, so I shoot just for the pleasure. Using manual slows me down and has forced me to think my shooting more. I've grown to like the control of fully manual lenses and on occasional steps to AF lenses I tend to keep camera on M mode and often also focus manually. Actually I wasn't active hobbyest until failure of my camera forced me to get some manual lenses. Shooting K1 doesn't really differ from shooting Pentax APSC bodies, except viewfinder is bigger and brighter. As mentioned earlier there are some nice features in Pentax bodies that make manual lenses work better.
12-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

So one meters stopped down. Do I gather correctly that one would then have to open back up to focus and then stop back down to take the image, or would the camera close to the set aperture?
No. You use green button to make the measure. Operation is automated and you can keep the lens on desired aperture all the time. Just one simple press of button.
12-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use M50/4 macro, it works very well on K-1. Of course 'A' series would be more convenient, but for macro + manual flash combination it does not make significant difference (tested on A50/1.7 with rings).
12-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Do I gather correctly that one would then have to open back up to focus and then stop back down to take the image, or would the camera close to the set aperture?
K-Mount lenses remain wide open even if they're stopped down. Only when you press the shutter button do these lenses stop down to whatever aperture they're set at.

Since I shoot in manual most of the time (I regard the automated exposure system of the camera like a politician — not to be trusted), I don't find shooting with K or M lenses any different than shooting with DA or DFA lenses. One thing to note: if you're into flash photography, K and M lenses won't work with p-ttl flashes: you'll need a flash with manual control or auto-flash.