Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax vs Sigma 24-70/2,8 with the K-1?

I bought the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM way before the K-1 was around and used it with my K-3 at that time. I never got to like it, probably because the glass was overly heavy to use with the APS-C camera. Anyway the quality was OK and when I got the K-1 I was happy to have a lens for the full frame and since the zoom range now got more "normal" I have also used it much more.

However it misses focus a lot, especially at low-medium light. Also, wider than f/3.5 it is quite soft and (as reported in one of the lens reviews here in PentaxForums) the softness is pronounced at 70mm which is a typical use case for me shooting ad hoc portraits (more planned ones I do with the Pentax 77mm).

Now to my question: I need to have a reliable normal zoom. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Ricoh-Pentax HD D-FA 24-70/2,8 ED SDM WR? Does anyone have experience of the two lenses side by side (with the K-1 II)? Is the Ricoh-Pentax lens sharper fully open and most importantly is there an improvement in the auto focus?

Last edited by marmitse; 02-04-2020 at 12:31 PM.
02-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

The only thing I know about the Ricoh 24-70 is that there are quite a few Ricoh-Pentax HD D-FA 24-70/2,8 ED SDM WR are available second hand in the Netherlands. It is quite a new lens and I cannot imagine why people would get rid of this lens so quickly after it came to the market. Does not give me the confidence to buy one even for the very interesting price of 899,00. If there are positive reviews I am afraid I do not trust them. I think that you know your Sigma lens and you do not know what you get.
02-04-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
[HL]The only thing I know about the Ricoh 24-70 is that there are quite a few Ricoh-Pentax HD D-FA 24-70/2,8 ED SDM WR are available second hand in the Netherlands. It is quite a new lens and I cannot imagine why people would get rid of this lens so quickly after it came to the market. Does not give me the confidence to buy one even for the very interesting price of € 899,00.
Look at the technical reviews of the lens, and most importantly, the photos produced with it, which - in the hands of a capable photographer (many of whom you'll find in these forums) - are superb. Most folks selling their the Pentax D FA24-70 f/2.8 will be doing so because of its size and weight when they can make do with something slower and smaller (than a typical 24-70 f/2.8), or some other practical concern.

FWIW, I own a Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM for my Sony A-mount gear. It's undoubtedly the best zoom lens I've ever used (for my tastes), and certainly the best that I own. But I rarely shoot with it because of the combined weight of my A-mount SLT body and the lens. Many folks in my position would sell the lens and get something smaller and lighter (maybe an f/4, or a 28-75/2.8). I've chosen to keep mine, but it doesn't get used as often as I'd like.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
If there are positive reviews I am afraid I do not trust them.
Would you trust reviews of any lens? If "yes", then why not with this one? If "no", how do you research your potential lens purchases?

Either way, with all due respect, you need to validate or invalidate your doubts before advising anyone against this lens. It's a cornerstone of the Pentax full-frame system, so we should deal in facts rather than propagating unfounded concerns just because second hand examples have become available. Look at our Marketplace and you'll find numerous copies of many great lenses for sale. Who can say the variety of reasons folks have for letting them go?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-05-2020 at 03:27 AM.
02-04-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
I have the Tamron 28-75 f 2.8 and recently got a deal on a refurbished Pentax 24-70 F2.8. Very happy with it. Very few missed focus shots. Image quality and colour are very good. No complaints and would recommend it.

02-04-2020, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
However it misses focus a lot, especially at low-medium light. Also, wider than f/3.5 it is quite soft
I was shooting with my DFA 24-70 on my K-1 II in a dimly lit room this evening, and nailing focus quickly. In general, I find it focuses well and the speed is very good. I don't think it ever hunts on me. I also would rate the lens well for sharpness, I do not have experience with your Sigma, but from what you write, I think you'd find the Pentax lens a nice step up.
02-04-2020, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The Pentax has now flaws for me or apertures/focal lengths to avoid. Focus just works. I cannot compare both lenses, but an old Sigma will have trouble to match a recent Pentax. I never found a Sigma lens to focus well with K1.
Pentax cameras deserve Pentax lenses for many reasons.
02-05-2020, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I've owned both, the Sigma 24-70 was okay (but never as good as my old FA*28-70/2.8 at any length - even 70mm) but it didn't fill me with Joy on seeing the results. The D-FA 24-70 is notably better optically, has a nice balanced feel, and the WR is a real bonus. As to the point about the number of second hand copies floating around - well i suspect this is due to the bulk/weight for some users - I'm considering selling mine purely for this reason!

Just my personal views
02-05-2020, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not used the Sigma, so I can't comment on that aspect of things. I will say that with regard to auto focus, the DFA 24-70 doesn't miss focus. It has relatively speedy auto focus and seems fine, even in low light settings. It has good sharpness wide open, although of course it benefits being stopped down a bit. Probably the biggest negative is that it does flare a fair amount. The colors and contrast are very nice.

All in all, I would recommend it. There is a lens club with a variety of images on it from the DFA 24-70, so maybe take a peek at that... HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 Club - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Rondec; 02-06-2020 at 03:33 AM. Reason: fixed spelling error