Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why did you go full frame?(Multiple choice)
l need better high ISO performance 3328.95%
l need more shallow DOF 1714.91%
lt's the latest photography trend 32.63%
Everybody's doing it 21.75%
Other 8776.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2020, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The vast majority of lenses I own are Full format lenses, it would have been utterly daft not to use them to their full potential. Also some of the features of the K-1 suited my work better than the K5IIs it replaced, though I have yet to fully shelve the K5IIs as I still have a few as spare camera bodies.

02-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #77
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just to get my "Ladies" behaving like the used too...
02-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #78
Pentaxian

The results seem to show that another poll is in order and that the original options don't cover the reasons that most people went FF.
02-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be easy to set up another poll.

The problem being, relevant questions...

High ISO performance
More resolution
More dynamic range.
Already owned some FF lenses or APS-c lenses that work well on FF.

Another issue, all those things were relevant to me... how many choices, or do you try and combine things like

Technical issues -High ISO , DR and resolution, pixel shift and Astro-tracer
Practical Issues - making use of FF capable lenses.
Price /performance -
Curiosity - want to try out FF for myself
Serendipitous issues- I had money to burn so why not?

There are different ways a new poll could be structured.

Ideas?

Last edited by normhead; 02-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.
02-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It should be easy to set up another poll.

The problem being, relevant questions...

High ISO performance
More resolution
More dynamic range.
Already owned some FF lenses or APS-c lenses that work well on FF.

Anyone else got some ideas?
Shallow DoF was popular
Wider FoVs -- the flipside of APS-C's "reach"
Bigger/brighter OVF was also mentioned
Better physical ergonomics (some prefer a larger camera body)
2-for-1: FF has a built-in APS-C camera with crop mode

Very few picked the "trend" or "bandwagon" options probably because all the crowd-following sheeple have left Pentax to get a mirrorless camera.
02-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Shallow DoF was popular
Wider FoVs -- the flipside of APS-C's "reach"
Bigger/brighter OVF was also mentioned
2-for-1: FF has a built-in APS-C camera with crop mode

Very few picked the "trend" or "bandwagon" options probably because all the crowd-following sheeple have left Pentax to get a mirrorless camera.
Some added to my second list but not always in separate categories.

Technical issues -High ISO , DR and resolution, pixel shift and Astro-tracer, Shallow DoF
Practical Issues - making use of FF capable lenses, Wider FoVs with the same lens
Price /performance -
Curiosity - want to try out FF for myself
Serendipitous issues- I had money to burn so why not?
Social issues (Someone I know uses an FF)
Ideological issues (a bigger sensor is always better.)
All of the above.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2020 at 09:43 AM.
02-25-2020, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Or almost no one would ever pick the trendy, bandwagon options because whether they've picked Pentax, Canon, Sony, Leica, a phone or a $125 point-and-shoot, almost everyone thinks they're making decisions based on how well the product meets their requirements. Not that they're paying a lot of money for a relatively useless camera because they're terrified of peer pressure and want to be super cool.
02-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Or almost no one would ever pick the trendy, bandwagon options because whether they've picked Pentax, Canon, Sony, Leica, a phone or a $125 point-and-shoot, almost everyone thinks they're making decisions based on how well the product meets their requirements. Not that they're paying a lot of money for a relatively useless camera because they're terrified of peer pressure and want to be super cool.
Really? Now you tell me.

02-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Really? Now you tell me.
Not that they're paying a lot of money for a relatively useless camera because they're terrified of peer pressure and want to be super cool.
Some people do , some don't. Lots of people select Canon just because of the wide range of product and because Canon is number one camera lens maker supported by every camera shop world wide, and this commercial setup has nothing to do with features, handling and specifications. I know some people who found better fit of Pentax for their requirement but purchased a Canon system after his friends owning a Canon told him "Come on, you are not going to buy a Pentax, are you? ", so he didn't feel mentally strong enough to buy a Pentax, and he bought a Canon. He compared various brands features versus price, ended up with a Pentax, but changed his mind after peer pressure. I mean owning a Pentax in the middle of a CanikonSony croud is like being dressed with red square pattern shirts and trousers with everyone else around all wearing the same toned down blue-grey dress.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-25-2020 at 10:31 AM.
02-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Some people do , some don't. Lots of people select Canon just because of the wide range of product and because Canon is number one camera lens maker supported by every camera shop world wide, and this commercial setup has nothing to do with features, handling and specifications. I know some people who found better fit of Pentax for their requirement but purchased a Canon system after his friends owning a Canon told him "Come on, you are not going to buy a Pentax, are you? ", so he didn't feel brave enough to buy a Pentax, and he bought a Canon.
Buying what your friends own is a compelling argument. You can buy different lenses and share them. A huge advantage most of us Pentax users won't understand, because we've never had the opportunity to enjoy it.

If I had couple buddies going out with me shooing Canon all the time, I might be tempted. Maybe it's just us Pentax shooters have no friends, so it makes no difference.

IN this day of and age with very little opportunity to try before you buy, that is more important than ever.
02-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Maybe it's just us Pentax shooters have no friends, so it makes no difference.
At the beginning your have Canon friends who try to convince you to get a Canon, and if you don't they tend to classify you (me) as an original, old country side hermit, uneducated donkey, die hard stone head who won't give up on Pentax
02-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mean owning a Pentax in the middle of a CanikonSony croud is like being dressed with red square pattern shirts and trousers with everyone else around all wearing the same toned down blue-grey dress.
Except that 98% of the crowd doesn't have a stand-alone camera at all, and have no opinion whatsoever about whatever we have be it Pentax, Leica or a $100 bridge camera from Best Buy. Wear loud clothing and everyone points and laughs, carry a Pentax and almost nobody notices or cares.

I hear these stories of being peer pressured into or away from a camera brand. In my experience it's rare enough to interact with someone else with an ILC that you immediately have a little bond with them and the brand almost never comes up. In a decade I've literally had no one question or pressure me over my choice of camera. Zero.
02-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #88
Pentaxian

carry a Pentax and almost nobody notices or cares
When I shooting outside, people stopped and said "Wow, you are using a Pentax! It's unusual, we don't see many these days". Or "You're using a Pentax? Yeah it's very special".
02-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the beginning your have Canon friends who try to convince you to get a Canon, and if you don't they tend to classify you (me) as an original, old country side hermit, uneducated donkey, die hard stone head who won't give up on Pentax
I don't have any Canon friends, seems like when I tell them all the lenses I've ever bought are stabilised on the K-1 (including the S-M-C Taks they covet so willingly), they seem to lose interest pretty quickly...
02-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear these stories of being peer pressured into or away from a camera brand. In a decade I've literally had no one question or pressure me over my choice of camera. Zero.
Nowadays, it is more common to hear comments about shooting a DSLR or film or medium format, more than the brand.

The peer pressure is greater for teenagers and professionally with agencies or clients that have a preconceived expectation based on what they've seen before, which is usually not Pentax.

If X photographer got great results last time with X brand, clients, editors, or agencies get nervous when you show up with Z brand....and it is usually verbalized.

The same is even more true for formats. If the last photographer used large format, you will either not get the job or be scrutinized with medium format. If the last photographer shot with film, you will be questioned if you can do good work with digital, etc.