Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why did you go full frame?(Multiple choice)
l need better high ISO performance 7431.62%
l need more shallow DOF 4720.09%
lt's the latest photography trend 83.42%
Everybody's doing it 62.56%
Other 16168.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 181 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Why did you go full frame?

l don't plan on going full frame. Don't need the insane high ISO performance or more shallow DOF. And l my wallet can't handle it right now. So l still plan on being an APS-C loser Just curious as to why others are swiching to FF.

02-15-2020, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I didn't.
02-15-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nor me.
02-15-2020, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
neither did I..... and no regrets, either...

I keep seeing former APS-C shooters coming back to APS-C, either for a second camera body or after selling off their K-1, having to repurchase all their old favorite crop-lenses, etc....

02-15-2020, 05:11 PM - 14 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Other: to use my manual lenses on their native format sensor
02-15-2020, 05:17 PM - 10 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Other: I already had lots of full frame lenses, and I wanted to exploit their full image circle.

I'm pretty sure that is the answer you will get from most Pentaxians.
02-15-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My plans were to stay with the crop body, and just continue shooting my K5IIs, waiting for the K3II replacement. I really like my K5IIs for most everything. However, I retired a couple of years ago, and was somewhat frustrated with getting better/more star color in my Milky Way over landscape shots. With a lot of contemplation, I thought that if I was driving anywhere from 1 to 3 hours one way out to get to a location to shoot, and with the new crop body no where in sight - and counting up what was in the piggy bank for a new body - I decided on upgrading to the K1 (this was before the mark II was announced). I needed more light collection with better dynamic range. I really only shoot at ISO 800 for my astro stuff (I don't need to go any higher). So, now I'm able to capture the star colors in the Milky Way - and satisfied.

The full frame lenses I had acquired over time all had varying amounts of coma (for astro use) or were not fast enough, so with some looking I found a 15-30/f2.8 to pick-up about 2 years ago. This last Christmas, I sprung for the 28-105 "kit" lens, which has some really excellent image quality. I want to mod my 60-250 for the rear light baffle - and that these three will be my main lens set. I do have some good primes, but I'm set.

I don't need higher ISO, or shallow DoF, but did need some better dynamic range at lower ISO (for better color), and just a larger sensor area for more light collection. I will say that the articulating rear screen is really nice to use for astro, and the built in GPS makes things much nicer.

I have one of the old K shift (perspective correction) 28mm lenses (that when fully shifted and stitched provide a 15mm shifted stitched image), that now captures full frame and is pretty nice to use, to get better architecture shots. I also have two converted older Contax Zeiss primes (28 and 85) that now have the full sensor projection, that provide some really excellent image quality.

Last edited by interested_observer; 02-15-2020 at 05:36 PM.
02-15-2020, 05:30 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

An "other" that didn't appear as an option is "to further differentiate my images from the hoards of unwashed masses who are using smart phone cameras".

I have a Panasonic micro 4/3rds camera and some nice Panny lenses. Frankly, I can't tell much difference between the photos that I take with this small sensor camera and the images my son's make with their iPhone 11's. However, the images I make with my fabulous full-frame Pentax K-1 are far better than what my son's can produce with their smart phones.

02-15-2020, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I went full frame finally.. I bought film for my old analog cameras. staying with cropped for digital for the foreseable future.

Al
02-15-2020, 07:00 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I voted for "higher ISO" + "other" with "other" being the wider angle view.

Some people pick APS-C for the telephoto "reach" on narrow subjects and others pick FF for the wide angle "embrace" of broad subjects.
02-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others stated I had some awesome vintage film era lenses that I hoped to use. They did not disappoint on the K-1 so I bought a K-1ii and upgraded my K-1 to a K-1ii. I often take out a mixture of film bodies and the digital bodies. I still use my crop bodies (K-3) but mostly for telephoto applications.
02-15-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I haven't switched nor do I have plans on doing so in the foreseeable future.
02-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I still use my crop bodies (K-3) but mostly for telephoto applications.
Likewise, but I also use my KP for lightweight walkarounds with the DA Limiteds, and for my DA 10-17 Fisheye and DA* 11-18, where there is still nothing truly comparable for the K-1.
02-15-2020, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got 30+ years worth of accumulated full frame lenses. I hadn't planned on going the K-1 II route quite yet but I'm very glad I did. Amazing camera.
02-15-2020, 08:24 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went with FF for the major reason of flexibility and versatility by using only 1 body to cover almost all my needs, using cropped in the past had its benefits that have shrunk in recent years with the release of higher pixel density and cheaper longer lenses.
The only real reason for me to use cropped was the reach factor allotted the user from the higher pixel density, but most of this has nearly evaporated in recent years along with the newer lens selections we see today this is even more less evident.

I use FF mostly for its IQ that we see near its base iso, add to mix that old lenses that are so so on cropped are given new life of FF bodies. For me once the pixel density along with the newer lens select gave me what I need as a single system user cropped was no longer needed and have never looked back at using cropped