Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Why did you go full frame?(Multiple choice)
l need better high ISO performance 7431.62%
l need more shallow DOF 4720.09%
lt's the latest photography trend 83.42%
Everybody's doing it 62.56%
Other 16168.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 181 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #91
Veteran Member

The main reason I shoot full frame is related to full frame lenses that have no match in APS-C system. Then comes high ISO performance of full frame cameras, then shallow DOF.

02-26-2020, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
l don't plan on going full frame. Don't need the insane high ISO performance or more shallow DOF. And l my wallet can't handle it right now. So l still plan on being an APS-C loser Just curious as to why others are swiching to FF.
I went full frame because, all else being equal, more real estate equals better picture quality.
02-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #93

I wanted to see what my Trio would be like on FF. In hind sight, I would've been happy with the KP, but here I am. Committed to the K1. I'm really not utilising it to its full potential though.
02-28-2020, 04:33 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Other: Better sharpness in very large prints the most important and to a lesser degree, somewhat better dynamic range and DOF.

02-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When I shooting outside, people stopped and said "Wow, you are using a Pentax! It's unusual, we don't see many these days". Or "You're using a Pentax? Yeah it's very special".
That happened to me a couple days ago.
02-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #96
Unregistered User

"other": sharper image when cropped & blown up due to higher resolution.
02-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A painter rarely discusses what paint brushes he is using. Starting with a K10d in 2007, i saw image quality going up slowly over the years. I purchased a K5 in 2010, then a K3 in 2014 and finally a K1 two years ago. I even found a demo 645Z at Camera Canada that I couldn't pass up, having been a 6X7 II and a 645N user for years and having amassed an assortment of medium-format lenses. OTOH, architecture requires the highest resolution you can get and pixel-shift on the K1 is a big help for these static kinds of pictures.

Best regards,
Richard

03-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
A painter rarely discusses what paint brushes he is using.
So true! But a photographer rarely discusses what paint brush they are using too.

But out of defense for photographers, books and magazines by and for photographers have commonly included not only the ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed, but also the camera and lens, and in analog times the film too.
03-01-2020, 03:53 AM - 3 Likes   #99

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
A painter rarely discusses what paint brushes he is using.
Well, if one takes a look at forums for musicians, one will find that musicians are equally obsessed with gear as photographers. Drummers discuss what sticks are best, guitarist discuss strings, amplifiers, and guitars, saxophone players discuss reeds, mouthpieces and saxophones, and so on. Some of these people in music forums also make great music, but many (most of them) spend all their time debating on forums about which gear is best, instead of practising and performing music. Music forums and photography forums are not very different from each other.
03-01-2020, 04:07 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
Well, if one takes a look at forums for musicians, one will find that musicians are equally obsessed with gear as photographers. Drummers discuss what sticks are best, guitarist discuss strings, amplifiers, and guitars, saxophone players discuss reeds, mouthpieces and saxophones, and so on. Some of these people in music forums also make great music, but many (most of them) spend all their time debating on forums about which gear is best, instead of practising and performing music. Music forums and photography forums are not very different from each other.
I don't know. My sister is a professional (classical) violinist and she doesn't talk about instruments at all. Her daughter is following in her footsteps and applying to conservatories right now. They spent quite a bit on a violin for her, but once that is done, it has been six hours a day of practice.

My guess is that we need to separate Forumites, who are very much gear-centric, from the rest of the population. We do focus on gear a fair amount here, but most of us doing the talking are hobby photographers, not professionals. My experience with pros is that they are pretty pragmatic, basically wanting gear that they feel comfortable using and will get the job done.
03-01-2020, 04:32 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. My sister is a professional (classical) violinist and she doesn't talk about instruments at all. Her daughter is following in her footsteps and applying to conservatories right now. They spent quite a bit on a violin for her, but once that is done, it has been six hours a day of practice.

My guess is that we need to separate Forumites, who are very much gear-centric, from the rest of the population. We do focus on gear a fair amount here, but most of us doing the talking are hobby photographers, not professionals. My experience with pros is that they are pretty pragmatic, basically wanting gear that they feel comfortable using and will get the job done.
I am a professional saxophone player (jazz) and I am also a proficient guitar player, what I write above is based on many years in the music business.
03-01-2020, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

It is no different among watercolor enthusiasts, its not too uncommon for discussions about brushes and how they compare to the high end models.

a great deal of brushes I used and was recognised by fellow painters was the Kolinsky sable brushes. if you had one in your hand they was often discussions with compared to others and synthetical models.

If you look at promotional videos about the kolinsky sable series 7 brushes they really don't different from that of promotional videos on lens or camera Manufacturing because people like quality and the subtle differences that quality can bring to their work, how they feel in hand and enjoyment from using them.

A painter may not discuss with a person buying one of their paintings what brushes they use, but get into a room of painters and see how long it takes for someone who likes to paint to start a discussion on the paint or their brushes
03-01-2020, 04:52 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a professional saxophone player (jazz) and I am also a proficient guitar player, what I write above is based on many years in the music business.
Probably depends on the individual as much as anything.

My wife doesn't care about specs of gear at all, only if it takes the photos she needs/wants. I probably focus way too much on it. Somewhere in the middle is probably best...
03-01-2020, 04:56 AM   #104

Probably depends on the individual as much as anything. ...
Somewhere in the middle is probably best...
I agree
03-02-2020, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #105

I am very much in the “hobby photographer” category, but I’d say people who’re truly passionate about photography use what they have, and grow comfortable with the individual quirks, strengths, and shortcomings their gear has. My FA 28-70, has unreliable autofocus. Before I realized this, some shots came out tack sharp, while others much less so. Now, if I even question the final resolution of what I’m shooting, I switch to manual to ensure I get what I want. It’s been more or less mated to my K1 since I got the camera.