Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Pentax liveview is currently a catastrophe. First, one needs at least A-type lens or more modern one for it to work at least somewhat properly in manual mode. It cannot simulate exposure if fully manual lens is used (Zeiss .ZK counts as one when aperture is adjusted from the aperture ring itself). And then, only green button metering gives some kind of result. And even if green mode metering works, histogram does not upgrade correctly.
Your "catastrophe" is my point of difference that makes Pentax outstanding. If I flick an A lens over to manual aperture settings rather than "A" my LV stays illuminated at an appropriate level unconnected to the level of ambient light. This means I can still see and focus on something despite low light. Whilst I use manual mode and digital preview (and they are accurate) rather than the green button I can't see why the green button result would be any different. Maybe you have a lens with a sticky aperture?.

04-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Nope, the aperture of that Zeiss works very well. Pentax LV pales in comparison to what Sony does with fully manual lenses. First, Sony calculates histogram even in moonlight and second, it does frame accumulation to massively boost brightness when a feature called "Bright Monitoring" is switched on. No other liveview comes close...except Magic Lantern for Canon. ML has display gain feature which also goes beyond what K-1 can provide in dark conditions.

So, IMHO, as there are lots of older lenses available in Pentax system, it would make sense to pay some attention to the LV as well. If one wants LV which constantly keeps the brightness topped up, there should of course be an option to switch between simulated exposure and such auto-gain mode.
04-10-2020, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it is funny how we look at this two ways. All my A capable lenses are invariably on the manual aperture setting and I think why on earth would someone want LV on "exposure simulation" when the histogram is the go to tool for exposure. Do you really look at your lcd to gauge exposure?
04-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Yes, particularly so if zebras are available. Histogram is important but only magic lantern for canon does it right. It can display raw RGB overexposure which nothing else can right now.

04-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yes, particularly so if zebras are available. Histogram is important but only magic lantern for canon does it right. It can display raw RGB overexposure which nothing else can right now.
Are the blinkies not created by the same process as the histogram?
04-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just one last thing, since I noticed that "sticky aperture" was mentioned.

I might add that both my Zeiss ZK lenses, 50/1,4 and 35/2, exposure identically (slight overexposing) in K-1 live view.
I've tested and confirmed. So this issue is not a matter of bad lenses.

And on the other hand my K-1 LV-exposure perfect every time with, for example, my 100mm macro WR.

At least to me, this is an issue where the K-1 don't marry "perfect" with a third party brand. But at the same time,
it's easy to work around. At this point I'm at one -1/3 EV step compensation (at f5,6 an f8) for a vast majority of test-shots.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 04-11-2020 at 11:34 PM.