Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, I already commented above, but figured that I might put my $0.02 worth in regards to magnification/field-of-view on the K-1 vs K-3. Yes, FOV is different. After all, the K-3 offers a crop relative to the K-1. Optical magnification, on the other hand, remains the same for a given focus distance regardless of format; 1:1 (1x) remains 1:1. The actual "reach" of the K-3 is exactly the same as the K-1, though to be complete it might be good to mention that the K-3 enjoys a pixel resolution advantage over the K-1 in crop mode, allowing for higher magnification for on-screen viewing or for printing.

Steve
If the K-3 image fills the frame or goes over at the magnification you want and you want more of the subject in the frame, use the K-1. Every lens has two fields of view when you have two formats that use the same lens.

04-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You really can't go wrong with a 100 WR. It's weather resistant which is simply a must for random weather macro work. Also somebody mentioned the problem with FF being that you need 1.5 times that of APS-C to get the same magnification. Erm...not to be rude but you do realise that the K1 has APS-C crop mode and 1:1 crop mode? And on top of that, if you choose to shoot crop, you're still utilising the sexy processing power of a FF sensor. It may be worth a reminder that if we had the exact same sensors in an APS-C and FF camera with all the same sensor-tuning, the only difference between the APS-C and the FF is the cropping. Meaning that, unless you're after 24MP in an APS-C sized crop, the K1 will give you just a little over 15MP in APS-C mode anyhow. It's basically an awesome FF camera and a beautifully upgraded K-5, with all the advantages that go with a larger pixel pitch than the K-3 or KP
04-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once had the D FA 100WR and it is a great macro lens, I sold it to buy a DA*300 because I get a lot more use out of it. I did miss the macro after a few years and found a cheap old Sigma 50/2.8 macro, manual focus with an A setting, also very good. I have since run into a nice buy of a used Tamron 90 auto focus macro. All three are excellent in my eyes as far as image quality goes. The Pentax is definitely the best build and WR is the icing on the cake so to speak. I bought the Sigma three years ago for $65, it had the Sigma Zen coating on the barrel that gets sticky, I think I cleaned the coating off too much and the outer barrel (zoom ring) ended up sticking so it wouldn't move and I ended up somehow getting it off but destroying it. The inner part of it was fine and it works as well as ever, just weird looking. Not knowing how long that would last I bought the Tamron when it came along. I don't use any enough to have a valid opinion I guess. But I do have one opinion on shooting macro, and that is for using it for actual macro you're going to be using a tripod, and manual focus is best. You can use Live View with focus peaking and magnification and get really good focus.
04-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
. . . But I do have one opinion on shooting macro, and that is for using it for actual macro you're going to be using a tripod, and manual focus is best. You can use Live View with focus peaking and magnification and get really good focus.
in my limited experience, it depends on what type of macro photography are you attempting:

inside set up is one thing

outside is another

when I attempt macro, it is outside, it is flowers and pollinators and there I like my D FA 100mm F2.8 because of the distance it gives me between myself and my " targets "

while I have the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro, I don't use it because I would have to be closer to my target to get 1:1

I also don't use a tripod

04-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #20

If your budget is high enough (you said >800AUD but I'm not sure what the upper limit is), there are occasionally some FA* or A* 200 macros on the used market. I picked up the A*200 recently and I'm just blown away, it's really spectacular. I also have the DFA 100 macro, and I think it's also a stellar macro lens though it does have a bit of CA in comparison to other modern lenses when used shooting into the sun, but it's so light and WR (I've taken it into a rainforest without any additional protection without problems) that I'll be keeping it around for sure even though I now have the 200. As many mention, it's easy to find if you go look for it, but it's also rarely a significant problem in macro use other than maybe some hard specular reflections. I've taken the 100mm on backpacking trips as my only lens and been happy with the images I came back with.
04-11-2020, 02:57 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DFA 100 macro is a nice lens. It does have some purple fringing -- mainly with backlit subjects and usually is pretty easy to fix. The biggest issue with it is the lack of a focus limiter and that can be aggravating if it misses focus it has to rack all the way back and forth.

Honestly, I would probably stick with your Tamron 90 and consider adding a close focus filter like one of the Rayonox ones. amazon.com : Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-11-2020, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
Pentax K1 Mk2 and Macro lenses

Thanks all for the postings....given me some food for thought.

My Tamron is the SP Di 90 mm, and after reading postings and re looking at the shots I have taken with it ( -Native bee pic below) - I'll likely stick with it. I do take a lot of outdoor/ insects, flowers etc and am happy with the Tamron. Always use manual focus, so AF not an issue as insects don't usually stay still. And yes, I do realise that the K1 Mk2 has crop mode. Just looking to improve on my photos/quality with a FF camera. And as it seems the tamron will be compatible with the K1 will go with that.

Will keep you posted with K1/tamron macro combination photos.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 04:46 AM ----------

PS this photo taken with my K3 and the Tamron 90mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-11-2020, 04:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

FWIW.... some cheapish old longer lenses work quite well with extension tubes.... like a K 200/4 .... I use my 300mm a bit as well

I think this is with a sigma 70-200 on an extension tube

However.... I'd reach for my KP before my K1 for macro... for obvious reasons (more pixles per crita)

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-11-2020 at 05:14 AM.
04-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use F 100/2.8 Macro with K-1, and the lens is fantastic. If you are looking for extreme magnification, the lens has got aperture ring, so it works well with either extension rings or bellows.