Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 Mkii upgrade

hi fellow members.

wanted to ask, those who did the upgrade of their K-1 to the Mkii (Instead of getting a Mkii body).

The "AF improvement" that the Mkii model displayed over the Mki model, is also evident in those "Mkii upgrade" models?

Cuz read the review here, where the Mkii displayed noticeable improvement in AF capability, over the Mki model.
Wondering if the results of the tests, also applicable to the "upgraded models".

Thanks in advance!

04-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Updated K1 feels faster and more precise than before. Hard to compare since most of us updated their only K1. I don’t think that the focus sensor/algorithm is different between an mki ii and an upgraded mk i.
04-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mmmmm, haven't noticed much

But I probably wouldn't have anyway, the kind of work I do. It's also not my primary camera, the Z is, and so I'm not so attuned to speedy AF in the first place. Also, a lot of times when I have to do events, I'm shooting manual or TAV, and often zone focusing stopped down slightly---in that I don't need the focus to be on the "nose", literally, of the subject, but just close enough to let a slightly deeper dof take care of business. Miss fewer shots that way, allows me to manoeuver better and quicker. Otherwise, I typically have plenty of time for any AF to work.

My experience with Pentax is that it is surer than Canon. Canon could be quicker, but could also hit the wrong spot.
04-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I kept my K1 as is and added a K1-II to my stable. The autofocus does seem a bit faster and more certain than with my K1. It just seems to do tings a little bit better than the K.

04-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
The "AF improvement" that the Mkii model displayed over the Mki model, is also evident in those "Mkii upgrade" models?
A K-1 upgraded to a MK II is the same electronically, so there is no difference in performance. I will also confirm that seat of the pants focus speed improved after I did the upgrade.

And here's a link to actual test results confirming a real improvement:

Pentax K-1 II vs K-1 Autofocus Test - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com