Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Response from other K-1 owners

I have an setting I like to find out how to control - if possible.

This is it:
When shooting via OVF, after the exposure the photo is shown on the LCD for 3 sec.
Then briefly, for about 1-2 sec, the "start screen" is shown, and then the LCD goes into battery saving/sleeping mode. This is my issue - can I change that to; continuous on?
A light touch of the trigger, wakes the LCD again, which from then on stays on continuously.

The camera is set in menu to go into resting mode in 5 min. So there should be another setting to control the issue I got - right?

See the clip:

Attached Files
File Type: avi K-1.avi (1.97 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 04-28-2020 at 10:20 AM.
04-28-2020, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to achieve the opposite, that is to have the rear LCD automatically switch off when I'm not using the camera and unfortunately the LCD goes black after a picture is taken, but any touch of AF button or shutter button switches on the LCD again and it never goes black again unless setting it off manually or taking another picture.

Now if you want the LCD to be enabled at all times , even after taking a picture, just go to menu C1-3 Meter Operating , set it to "4.continue". It prevents the camera to go to standby mode after a picture is taken.
04-28-2020, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I tried to achieve the opposite, that is to have the rear LCD automatically switch off when I'm not using the camera and unfortunately the LCD goes black after a picture is taken, but any touch of AF button or shutter button switches on the LCD again and it never goes black again unless setting it off manually or taking another picture.

Now if you want the LCD to be enabled at all times , even after taking a picture, just go to menu C1-3 Meter Operating , set it to "4.continue". It prevents the camera to go to standby mode after a picture is taken.
OK - first off. This means my camera is operating correctly. Right?

I got it out for sale, so I mostly need to know it's not a defect.

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 10:50 AM ----------

The setting just anwered the question!

You. Are. The. Man!

Such a relief to get it confirmed that my camera is behaving correctly.
04-28-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
This is my issue - can I change that to; continuous on?
A light touch of the trigger, wakes the LCD again, which from then on stays on continuously.
Yes, you can. There are two settings, meter operating time and auto-power off. Both are in the Custom Menus. Normally the defaults are adequate, but it looks like someone has fiddled with them on your camera.

Steve

04-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, you can. There are two settings, meter operating time and auto-power off. Both are in the Custom Menus. Normally the defaults are adequate, but it looks like someone has fiddled with them on your camera.

Steve
The weird thing is that I'm the only owner.
Which means I must have been the guilty one - very unknowingly though.
04-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
The weird thing is that I'm the only owner.
Which means I must have been the guilty one - very unknowingly though.
It's easy to mess things up, with all the buttons & menus & sub-menus.
04-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
It's easy to mess things up, with all the buttons & menus & sub-menus.
Indeed it is!

It's been driving me nuts trying to figure out how to sort it out.
This forum delivers - thanks guys!
04-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

Awesome. I too have been want it to stay on. Wicked. Thank you buz-engineer.
Now, can I do the same with a K3. Doesn't have the #4 option ?

04-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suggestion: get to know and use the Lock function of the K-1.
04-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The LCD display goes off after taking a picture as part of battery saving mode (standby mode). So it's good that the display goes off to extend battery life a little, but the way Ricoh implemented is a little weird. It would have been more logical if the display would switch off after a period of inactivity instead of switching off after taking a picture. After taking a picture, the LCD goes off, but a half press of the shutter button brings LCD back to life, then the LCD never switches off again unless a new picture is taken or unless the user set the LCD off full time. IMO, that behavior is a firmware bug, never reported and never fixed by Ricoh.

---------- Post added 29-04-20 at 07:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Suggestion: get to know and use the Lock function of the K-1.
I have tried to use the lock function in both 1 and 2 options, and it didn't change anything to LCD on/off behavior. What did you mean exactly about using the Lock function on the K1?
05-03-2020, 01:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The LCD display goes off after taking a picture as part of battery saving mode (standby mode). So it's good that the display goes off to extend battery life a little, but the way Ricoh implemented is a little weird. It would have been more logical if the display would switch off after a period of inactivity instead of switching off after taking a picture. After taking a picture, the LCD goes off, but a half press of the shutter button brings LCD back to life, then the LCD never switches off again unless a new picture is taken or unless the user set the LCD off full time. IMO, that behavior is a firmware bug, never reported and never fixed by Ricoh.
We are talking about the big display on the back and not the top LCD, right?
And if so, I donīt recognize this behavior at all. Normally I have the back LCD off at all times except for a 3sec preview after which it immediately goes black again. (Old habit to minimize screen time from back when large displays where really power hungry and sucked the life out of any batteries within minutes.)
05-03-2020, 02:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
We are talking about the big display on the back and not the top LCD, right?
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And if so, I donīt recognize this behavior at all. Normally I have the back LCD off at all times except for a 3sec preview after which it immediately goes black again.
Yes, because you have switched the display off and in that case you can't see camera setting displayed on the back LCD.