Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2020, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DFA 100 is outside the range you specified and the macro function duplicates the 50mm macro... However it is a fantastic Jewel like lens with excellent rendering. It is a little slow to focus due to the long focus throw.

05-01-2020, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HDpotato Quote
this seems like a great, civilized place!
Welcome aboard. Yes for most part!!! I was told to get lost a few times because I mentioned another brand and criticized Pentax for being a sleepwalker!!!

You bought the "beast" right off the bat. You have an excellent collection of lenses to begin with. For a "cheap" tele-zoom, look at the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I own one and I love it. I paid full price. You can get one for a good discount in the used market. If you have the funds go for the Pentax version.

For this one you have to get a piggy bank and save up. You have to have the Three Amigos (FA 31, 43 and 77). They were made for the K1. I own all three and the images they produce in conjunction with the K1 are sublime. I call the combo my medium format replacement. You have seen what K1 can do already.

BTW, I also own some Fuji cameras and lenses, mostly for video work. For the ultimate still image quality K1 is the undisputed king.
05-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome!

Obviously the FA Limiteds (31 and 43) fit the bill perfectly, except for price. The DA 35/2.4 (dirt cheap) works quite well on full frame, and the FA 35/2.0 (very reasonably priced) works perfectly. The DA 40/2.8 Limited also works quite well.

As for telezooms, I have the new DFA 70~210/4.0 and love it, but if you're after something cheaper (but still with AF) look for a second hand F 70~210/4.0-5.6
Looking around on the feedback, I think the DA 40 2.8 would be a great lens - 40mm seems to be good for street, and the compact size would be a nice option to have. I also have great experience with pancakes from the past, so having one in the mix would be great. Thank you very much for the input!

---------- Post added 05-01-20 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

and an opinion or two ( three, four, five - - - ) on how you might choose to spend your money on equipment

this article might be of interest as a starting point:

Read more at: Recommended Pentax Gear 2016 - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
I will make sure to dig it through, thank you very much! It's good to get familiar with the ecosystem

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to both the forums and K-mount "system"

You have some very nice lenses already. Given you're on a tight budget right now, how about the old SMC F35-70 f/3.5-4.5? It's decently sharp (pretty good even at max aperture), renders nicely, it's no bigger than many prime lenses, and a decent example should only set you back around $50 - $60 (perhaps even less if you're not too concerned about cosmetic condition). It would make a great walk-around lens for the K-1II, I think...
Just looked through the review of the 35-70, looks like a very beautifully rendering zoom! I'll keep it in mind I'm looking primarily for a prime though, not that I remembered to mention that in the OP!

Very informative, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Welcome. The FA 50mm 1.4 is a reasonable price second hand. I often use it as a walkabout combo on the K1 to save weight.
Ah yes, a 50/1.4 - would be nice to upgrade the 50/1.8 at some point

QuoteOriginally posted by Mans Hagberg Quote
Hello and welcome! I took the step to K-1 at the New Year 2020 and find the camera just great.

For your need, I can really recommend the SMC Pentax-FA 1:2 35 mm. One sits on my K-1 most of the time. I got it in fine shape at Tradera for about 1200 Swedish krona including the original sun shade, an item worth using.

This is the elder sister of the Plastic Fantastic Pentax DA 35 mm f 2,4 AL lens. I picked one up for 400 Sw Krona. It is extremely light and works perfectly well on the K-1. Stopped down to F 11 it shows no vignetting but there is some at fuller apertures. And it does not come with a sun shade as standard.
Very cool, I've always liked the 35mm focal length, noted!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As several have said:

DA 35 f2.4 - plastic, cheap, good

DA 40 F2.8 - tiny gemlike lovely rendering

The two above are good on FF but I'm not certain of their vignetting since I'm only shooting apsc.

The FA 35 F2 either smc or hd is reasonably priced and quite good. I like my copy nearly as much as my FA 31. In tests of old the FA 35 had better edge sharpness at wide f stops that the FA 31 and while the center wasn't quite as sharp it was close. There's more to lenses than just sharpness if course but it is indicative of the high quality of the lens.
I think it's going to be a 40mm pancake for now

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The DFA 100 is outside the range you specified and the macro function duplicates the 50mm macro... However it is a fantastic Jewel like lens with excellent rendering. It is a little slow to focus due to the long focus throw.
Read about the 100mm 2.8 early on, it's on the wish-list!

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Welcome aboard. Yes for most part!!! I was told to get lost a few times because I mentioned another brand and criticized Pentax for being a sleepwalker!!!

You bought the "beast" right off the bat. You have an excellent collection of lenses to begin with. For a "cheap" tele-zoom, look at the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I own one and I love it. I paid full price. You can get one for a good discount in the used market. If you have the funds go for the Pentax version.

For this one you have to get a piggy bank and save up. You have to have the Three Amigos (FA 31, 43 and 77). They were made for the K1. I own all three and the images they produce in conjunction with the K1 are sublime. I call the combo my medium format replacement. You have seen what K1 can do already.

BTW, I also own some Fuji cameras and lenses, mostly for video work. For the ultimate still image quality K1 is the undisputed king.
Sounds good! Yes the limited lenses are definitely on the want-to-buy-when-winning-the-lottery-list - some of them are quite affordable, whilst others seem to break the bank. They look like they render amazing.
05-01-2020, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Yes the limited lenses are definitely on the want-to-buy-when-winning-the-lottery-list - some of them are quite affordable, whilst others seem to break the bank. They look like they render amazing.
Warning

the Limiteds - FA 31mm, 43mm, 77mm the DA ( SMC or HD ) 15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 40mm and 70mm primes plus the HD 20-40mm zoom can be addictive

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

05-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax!
I think the FA limiteds are well worth a look. I certainly love them on my K-1. Also like to play with the old Takumars and the FA Limiteds manage to share some of their character I think (wonderful build, lovely to use, and nice OOF rendering).

I have a DA 40 xs (same optically as the DA 40 limited I believe) but I'm not that impressed with it on the K-1 (I found quite a bit of vignetting and lacking corner sharpness even stopped down - maybe its just my copy) and keep it for using on my K-01. I am however impressed with the FA 43 f1.9 Limited which on FF I found to be sharper, faster and much better bokeh. The 43s corner sharpness is not perfect wide open but center sharpness is great (I find it very usable wide open) and it sharpens up across the frame pretty quickly as you stop down.
Another point about the 43 that I rarely see reported is it actually gives quite nice light stars from f5.6! See: Deserted Redcliffs waterfront at night | With the Corona vir? | Flickr. Oh and the FA 43 is still a very small lens.

I also love the FA31 and its my go to landscape lens but it does not do the nice light stars the 43 does.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 05-01-2020 at 03:45 PM.
05-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Warning

the Limiteds - FA 31mm, 43mm, 77mm the DA ( SMC or HD ) 15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 40mm and 70mm primes plus the HD 20-40mm zoom can be addictive

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com
That seems to be a message I hear again and again, I will be wary!
05-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #22

FA-31mm Limited would be good choice for you.

05-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
FA-31mm Limited would be good choice for you.
Bear in mind he's looking for hidden gems and is on a budget. Used FA 35 is very good cheaper alternative to the FA 31 in my opinion.
05-13-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Just bought one myself for the K1. $410 shipped and would be here by the weekend. Really a bargain lens for what it is. It may be more money than the OP wants to spend but combine that with the Pentax 35-70 somebody suggested earlier and just about the entire commonly used range is covered for under $500. I'd consider that a relatively tiny budget for good to very good FF glass.
05-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Welcome to Pentax!
I think the FA limiteds are well worth a look. I certainly love them on my K-1. Also like to play with the old Takumars and the FA Limiteds manage to share some of their character I think (wonderful build, lovely to use, and nice OOF rendering).

I have a DA 40 xs (same optically as the DA 40 limited I believe) . . .
yes, the 40mm Xs and 40mm Limited share the same optics

keeping in mind the issue of costs

you can see photos take with the Pentax 40mm F2.8 lenses and the 43mm Limited in this thread if you want to compare

the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club - Page 14 - PentaxForums.com
05-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just bought one myself for the K1. $410 shipped and would be here by the weekend.
Enjoy the Tammy. It is my go to pro glass for long applications. I saw in your signature that you have the Tamron 1.4TC. I would be curious to know how the combo works and the quality it produces. Do share if you test the combo. Thanks.
05-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the Tammy. It is my go to pro glass for long applications. I saw in your signature that you have the Tamron 1.4TC. I would be curious to know how the combo works and the quality it produces. Do share if you test the combo. Thanks.
Yes, I will be trying it, and I'll let you know the result.
05-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm looking into getting some good Pentax AF lenses. The limited line comes to mind. I am however on a budget for now. Are there any 'hidden gems' in the Pentax line-up that provide really good IQ for the money? ... perhaps a good, sharp telezoom.
The Tokina 80-200 would be one those hidden gems at a budget price IMO. it gets pretty good reviews (look at the PF lens ratings) and there's one at UsedPhotoPros for less than $200.

Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 AT-X PRO Lens Pentax (Used - Good Condition)
05-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

So the Tamron is just as impressive as reviewers here have said. Fast to focus (most of the time), not at all noisy screwdrive IMO.
I've heard worse. Renders wonderfully on a K1.

And the Tamron TC? Excellent match for the lens. It's a perfect marriage, altho it's more prone to hunting for focus but it ultimately gets there. I'll post up photos later this evening or tomorrow. It somewhat depends on this unfamiliar beer I bought and didn't expect to like: Blue Moon Light Sky. I think I like it. REALLY like it. Not as much as this lens and K1 I have next to me outside while kicked back on a bench at the edge of my woods. And it's a Friday. So tomorrow is looking ever more likely.

BTW, the K1, TC and 70-200 comes in at 16" long in total, and a workout worthy 5.3 lbs. Stiil have the Sigma coming but I don't think I'll like the weight at a 1/2 pound heavier. And no TC for it, tho there's one for sale in the Marketplace.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.
05-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #30

I think it's going to be a 40mm pancake for now
DA-40mm Limited is my very first Pentax lens.

The view angle is very not comfortable on APSC bodies.

But it is indeed very sharp and clear.

And it gives me a very unique image that feels like compressing lots of objects into the flame.

Pretty sure you will enjoy it on K-1.