Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #1

K1 mkii new owner question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Arriving Monday
K1 mk ii plus hd df 150-450mm f4.5-5.6 Ed D.C. wr Lens. ( can’t wait ! )
Now, I understand this combo is quite heavy and have read so where that an over shoulder strap is good.
Does anyone have a recommendation on best type to get?

05-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you could get a lot of suggestions

check here:

Camera Straps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I use a Optech USA utility sling combined with a Joby hand grip ultra plate and a Joby camera tether as back up myself

QuoteQuote:
Description:
https://joby.com/us-en/camera-tether-jb01307-pww/

For DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras
To help secure your camera to your sling strap
PEACE OF MIND: backup connection between your camera and strap
LIGHTWEIGHT STRENGTH: Made of nylon and stainless steel
DISCRETE PROTECTION: won’t get in your way as you move
SUPER SECURE: holds the heaviest DSLR’s with zoom lenses.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/joby-camera-tether.html#ixzz6LJq56Tx3

QuoteQuote:
Description:
from Joby: Hand strap and universal baseplate for DSLR cameras, Comfortable, lightweight strap conforms to hand for solid grip, UltraFit Layered-Pad Technology™ provides support without bulk
Integrated UltraPlate baseplate is Arca-Swiss compatible, Versatile baseplate includes two 1/4''-20 attachment points,Supports sling strap or other camera accessory

Weight 0.058 kg, Attachment Type 1/4"-20 standard tripod mount, Material ABS Plastic, Nylon Webbing, Steel

Dimensions 6.3 x 5.6 x 2 cm
Read more at: Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
Description:
•Comfortably carries heavy equipment with the internal controlled stretch system and Lycra binding

•Evenly distributes weight with it's curved neoprene pad

•Full non skid surface keeps the strap on your shoulder

•Made in the USA

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/op-tech-usa-utility-strap-slin...#ixzz6LJpgZlm2
05-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hope you're not planning to use the DFA 150-450 as your walk-around standard lens! I love it dearly, but that it ain't. The DFA 28-105 fits the bill better.

I use the Peak Design Slide sling strap.
05-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an OpTech sling strap: amazon.com: OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling - Padded Neoprene Camera Sling with Quick Disconnects and Control-Stretch System (Black): OP/TECH: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& I have connectors on both the camera (for most uses) and on the 150-450 as I believe it to be too heavy to be safely supported by the camera. That's just my opinion of course but having the strap attached to the lens not the camera makes me feel better.

05-02-2020, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used the K-1 with this lens for quite a while.
I use the Black rapid sling strap attached to an eye on the tripod foot, works well.
I would suspect almost any of the sling straps that allow you to attach to an eye on the tripod foot would be OK.

Cheers,
Terry
05-03-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If not using that combo on a tripod, then a monopod is what I would recommend.
05-03-2020, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If not using that combo on a tripod, then a monopod is what I would recommend.
98% of my shots with the K1+150-450 are hand held. It's not an issue unless the light is poor.

05-03-2020, 01:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
98% of my shots with the K1+150-450 are hand held. It's not an issue unless the light is poor.
I don't have the strength to manage that anymore
05-03-2020, 01:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I have used the K-1 with this lens for quite a while.
I use the Black rapid sling strap attached to an eye on the tripod foot, works well.
I would suspect almost any of the sling straps that allow you to attach to an eye on the tripod foot would be OK.

Cheers,
Terry
I do the same.... but sometimes also to an eye on the camera base.... had no issues in 4 years or so doing this with K3 and K1.... camera and lens sits better against ones body.

With the sling strap connected to the foot of the lens.... I often unmount the camera leaving the lens dangling... fit a 43 or 20mm lens ..... take a shot or two on a walk.... then remount the camera to the 150-450... and put the small lens back in a coat pocket.
05-03-2020, 03:05 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the main variation between manufacturers seem to be the connection between the strap and the camera

I like the fact that Optech USA attaches to the upper camera strap lug

leaving free the tripod attachment

others seem to prefer attaching the strap at that point
05-03-2020, 03:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I hope you're not planning to use the DFA 150-450 as your walk-around standard lens! I love it dearly, but that it ain't. The DFA 28-105 fits the bill better.

I use the Peak Design Slide sling strap.
For a walkabout/general lens I am hoping to use at the minute my da 1.4-5.8 55-300mm ED and my DA 3.5-5.6 18-135mm Ed (if) dc wr. And the 150-450mm for wildlife, but would involve a bit of walking with it, hence a good over shoulder sling for it.
05-03-2020, 03:50 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcon Quote
For a walkabout/general lens I am hoping to use at the minute my da 1.4-5.8 55-300mm ED and my DA 3.5-5.6 18-135mm Ed (if) dc wr. And the 150-450mm for wildlife, but would involve a bit of walking with it, hence a good over shoulder sling for it.
when I carry my camera with the big guy attached

I find that varying how I carry it helps with the feel of the weight

hoisted on the shoulder

carried in the crook of the off elbow

grabbing the hand strap and taking some of the weight

of course this all depends on my footing as I walk along
05-03-2020, 05:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For the past few years to carry one or two cameras I too use OpTech products. I tried using the sling but to me that in combination with my 150-500mm lens was cumbersome on my neck and shoulders. Since at times I carry 2 cameras I purchased one of their dual harness and found it much more comfortable. Dual Harness? - Two-Camera Harness | OP/TECH USA
07-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I like the Peak Design strap.

A suggestion. Don't put enormous stress on the lens foot. The clamp mechanism is ok but it can break. The on the tripod over the shoulder carry of a long lens may have broken mine.

But otherwise, it is a fine combination. Great IQ, excellent in low light conditions.
07-25-2020, 01:03 AM   #15

Original Poster
This is what I went for ( cheep enough to replace if not liked)
Used it a while now (daily) and find it really comfortable, attached to lens foot.
Prowithlin Camera Strap with Safety Tether Mounting: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo